Turnaround in BLL during a pandemic

Old Sep 16, 20, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat, BA Gold
Question Turnaround in BLL during a pandemic

Hello fellow travellers,

I've got an XP Run scheduled for this Saturday from TLS (France) through AMS to BLL (Denmark). Basically, I'm taking the earliest flight in the morning to reach BLL around 2pm and turning around after 6pm. All is booked in J in order to gain 120XP before the end of my qualifying year.
Here's my problem: the Danish authorities now refuse entry to French nationals such as me, who cannot justify their visit with a valid purpose.
I never been to Billund before, and so I wonder a few things:
1) Is there any way to stay landside in Billund, so I would not have to go through customs there and could just wait a few hours in the lounge before taking my flight back to AMS?
2) The first leg of my journey (TLS-AMS) being pretty early in the morning and not having any bags to check, do you think I will be able to board without thorough documents check (besides ID check), provided that I can get my electronic BP beforehand?
3) In the case I'd be able to get in the flight to BLL but would not have other choice than to go through customs on arrival, what happens if the police doesn't want to let me through considering that I'm booked on the next flight back anyway?

I'm quite uncertain about what to do with this trip - besides the fact I don't wish to postpone it as the fare difference is pretty high on any dates I've checked.
Any thoughts on this?
Old Sep 16, 20, 11:27 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
In BLL, you can stay airside while making a connection. Last time it took me 10mn to reach the next gate (but is this still possible ?)
However, regarding paperwork in those particular time, i can not tell you.
Old Sep 17, 20, 4:12 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Last month in BLL, Danish officials were already meeting the disembarking pax airside. They wanted to see the passports of everyone and they took several pax apart. It looked like it depended on your nationality.
Old Sep 17, 20, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
Last month in BLL, Danish officials were already meeting the disembarking pax airside. They wanted to see the passports of everyone and they took several pax apart. It looked like it depended on your nationality.
The Danish Police website states that:
You can travel through Denmark (transit) if you have a worthy purpose outside Denmark or you are going on holiday.
I wonder if a XP-run qualifies for a "worthy purpose" for transit... My guess is that, if one were to be questioned when disembarking, the explanation might raise a few eyebrows.
Old Sep 17, 20, 5:09 am

Programs: Flyingblue - Platinum
Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
This should be enough though right? As long as boarding isn't denied in AMS, I doubt danish border force will prevent you from leaving after a couple of hours, it might quite literally be the next flight out.
r0gerthat likes this.
Old Sep 17, 20, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Digicola View Post
This should be enough though right? As long as boarding isn't denied in AMS, I doubt danish border force will prevent you from leaving after a couple of hours, it might quite literally be the next flight out.
So actually I'll be arriving on the KL1345 at 2pm. Technically, the next following flight back would be KL1346 at 2:30pm, but I'm booked in the KL1348 at 6:30pm...
Should I go and hide in the loo for a while after deboarding?
Old Sep 17, 20, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by The Young Traveller View Post
3) In the case I'd be able to get in the flight to BLL but would not have other choice than to go through customs on arrival,
France, the Netherlands and Denmark are all part of the EU customs union.

You will NOT have to go through "customs"!
Old Sep 17, 20, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may find the discussion towards the end of this thread perhaps useful.
Old Sep 17, 20, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by maalloc View Post
The Danish Police website states that:

I wonder if a XP-run qualifies for a "worthy purpose" for transit...
BLL is not a transit point; it is the ticketed destination of the outbound journey.

As such, despite the pax holding a return ticket for the very same day, the pax is NOT in transit in Denmark.

There is at least a chance that the pax will not be allowed to travel to Denmark.
Old Sep 17, 20, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
France, the Netherlands and Denmark are all part of the EU customs union.

You will NOT have to go through "customs"!
Yeh I know, but since the 2015 terror attacks and now with Covid19, I found myself more than often to have to go through some kind of immigration check between two Schengen countries. (I used "customs" as a way to say "immigration" but you're right to point out those are different concepts).
Old Sep 17, 20, 11:56 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Originally Posted by Digicola View Post
As long as boarding isn't denied in AMS,
This is what I'd be worried about. On my last couple of KL flights to countries with travel restrictions, on-line check-in ended with a 'You are checked in! Please collect your boarding pass at the airport' message. At the check-in desk my documents have been verified, afterwards a colored Schiphol sticker was put on my passport and the boarding pass was provided. On a recent flight NCE-AMS-XXX the documents were verified in NCE, boarding pass was printed for all connecting flights, though when transiting at AMS at the gate I got a red light 'unable to board'. The gate agents first had to re-check all documents, before I could board.
Old Sep 17, 20, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

arjen05 thank you for sharing your experience! What kind of documents precisely did they ask you for?
I may have some kind of invitation to a business meeting by a Danish friend, do you think that would suffice?
Frankly if I can't get my eBP tomorrow, I may just as well not risk it. I don't want to arrive at the airport and be denied boarding without any voucher.
Old Sep 17, 20, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arjen05 View Post
This is what I'd be worried about. On my last couple of KL flights to countries with travel restrictions, on-line check-in ended with a 'You are checked in! Please collect your boarding pass at the airport' message. At the check-in desk my documents have been verified, afterwards a colored Schiphol sticker was put on my passport and the boarding pass was provided. On a recent flight NCE-AMS-XXX the documents were verified in NCE, boarding pass was printed for all connecting flights, though when transiting at AMS at the gate I got a red light 'unable to board'. The gate agents first had to re-check all documents, before I could board.
Flying to CPH (in Denmark, just as BLL) either directly from AMS or with a connection in AMS, I've always been able to get a BP at OLCI, and I've never gotten any red gate light either. No issues at all since this whole pandemic thing started.

Yeh I know, but since the 2015 terror attacks and now with Covid19, I found myself more than often to have to go through some kind of immigration check between two Schengen countries.
That used to be the case in CPH (and presumably BLL), but no longer. Yesterday I went from aircraft door to the railroad station platform in about 8 minutes, allowing me to catch an earlier train home than planned with a minute to spare. Airport eerily empty, by the way. Walking into the baggage hall I found myself the only passenger there, and left it empty when I walked out through customs (not immigrations )

Johan
Old Sep 17, 20, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
arjen05 thank you for sharing your experience! What kind of documents precisely did they ask you for?
I may have some kind of invitation to a business meeting by a Danish friend, do you think that would suffice?
Frankly if I can't get my eBP tomorrow, I may just as well not risk it. I don't want to arrive at the airport and be denied boarding without any voucher.
Bolding is mine. I would not play that kind of game with a false statement. And if the officer is asking to see the proof of your return trip, you will have troubles to explain why you are doing a very quick turnaround for such an important business meeting !
If you are able to reach BLL, just tell the truth that you are doing a mileage run and just stay at the airport. As said by other posters, they certainly won't be against you leaving the country by yourself
Old Sep 17, 20, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Of course I am not going to lie to the police officer in Denmark! I was rather thinking about using such invitation for the airline staff in case they'd be reluctant to let me board.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: