Search

Seat blocking for social distancing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Seat blocking for social distancing?

Not having flown at all in recent months, I just noticed that on an upcoming reservation, set to go over to airport control shortly, all the aisle seats in the "regular economy" rows of an Embraer 175 have now, suddenly, all been blocked.

I assume this is evidence of some attempt at enforcing "social distancing" and to limit the chances of unrelated passengers ending up seated together. (That said, for the last few months, the seatmap showed that I would have a seatmate, rubbing shoulders right beside me in one of the Economy Comfort rows, until the curtain moved forward a few days back and I was able to seat myself further forward, in blissful isolation!)

Have you spotted any similar attempts at seat-blocking in your travels? It's just that I have never seen such a pattern on any KL booking before; they have yet to do the same on the return leg, but this blocking only occurred sometime earlier today.
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 12, 2020 at 10:07 am
Old Aug 12, 2020, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Have you spotted any similar attempts at seat-blocking in your travels?
No, I have not. Not before OLCI, nor after.

As an aside, I wonder who came up with the brilliant term "social" distancing. Surely what we are talking about here is physical distancing? For most people these days the easiest way by far to achieve genuine social distancing would be to close their FB, Twitter, WhatsApp and Instagram accounts.

Johan
PjotV, smartytravel and Carel1 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
For most people these days the easiest way by far to achieve genuine social distancing would be to close their FB, Twitter, WhatsApp and Instagram accounts.

Johan
Ah, but if we ditched our social media, then KLM couldn't run their "Meet & Seat" programme anymore!!! (I guess they stopped that some time ago, I really pay no attention!)

johan rebel and Didymis like this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 1:56 pm

I think they’re trying to spread passengers as much as they can. I’ve seen their available/occupied/blocked maps bounce around a lot: KLM "Seat Not Available" meaning?

When I did my own OLCI, the map looked very different than what I saw in a hypothetical booking like in my screenshots above.

I suspect blocking is manually controlled, so they open things up as seats are sold and re-configure availability. Sometimes a family of 2,3,4,5 wants to sit together, so you’ll see contiguous seats opened up as well so they can choose without calling in for an unblock.

My E190 AMS-Toulouse flight was 100% full, so I’d imagine they are willing to unblock all seats if necessary. But I didn’t check-in early enough to witness blocking.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I haver seen this also with AF (Hop) on E190. But as the flights are very full, it doesn't matter as at the end you will have a seat mate.

Last edited by Goldorak; Aug 13, 2020 at 2:32 pm
Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:40 am

Programs: FB gold, Marriott gold, Accor silver, Hyatt discoverist
I have seen this too, on 2 out 4 flights last month. Interestingly enough, all flights were more or less equally full (85-90%) and many of those blocked seats were certainly occupied...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.