KLM/ AF lounge - LHR T2

Old Jul 22, 20, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Platinum, TK *G
KLM/ AF lounge - LHR T2

Are KLM/AF offering any lounge access during their time at LHR T2?
Old Jul 22, 20, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by tomauk View Post
Are KLM/AF offering any lounge access during their time at LHR T2?
KLM and Air France have stopped offering lounges at most of their departure cities.

In the case of LHR T2, I would be very, very surprised if either AF or KL are paying a third party operator for lounge access. If so, it would probably be the only place in the entire network where they have sought to spend money on finding a replacement lounge.

(It looks like most of the LHR T2 lounges are still closed, anyway. The Heathrow website, which is clearly not up to date, states that only the Aspire T5 lounge is currently open)

So you should assume not. I would not expect there to be a lounge available until they move back to T4 in the fullness of time.

Please ask at check in - and let us know!

https://www.heathrow.com/at-the-airp...es-hotels-spas
Attached Images  
Old Jul 22, 20, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
It looks like most of the LHR T2 lounges are still closed, anyway. The Heathrow website, which is clearly not up to date, states that only the Aspire T5 lounge is currently open
LH lounge in LHR T2 is reopening very soon, but that's not relevant for AFKL
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 20, 11:48 am

Programs: OW Emerald/AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat,
Virgin Atlantic (also in T2) will be allowing it's Upper Class and Flying Club Gold members to use the Plaza Premium Lounge (Departures) and Plaza Premium Arrivals Lounge from 10 August. It was recently announced it would be from 1st August, but they've just changed that. Not sure if AF will be included in this, but I would think it's something the carriers could collaborate (contribute ) to
Old Jul 27, 20, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by skye1 View Post
Not sure if AF will be included in this, but I would think it's something the carriers could collaborate (contribute ) to
Being a "home town" airline, there is far more reason to expect that VS feels it far more important to have a lounge offering at their main hub, than does AF/KL at what, for them, is an outstation.

I don't see that AF/KL will feel the same inclination to pay for their LHR-originating passengers; AF and KL at least offer a lounge during their pax's transfer at their respective hubs; you could argue that VS are doing this, now that the Plaza Premium lounge is finally opening, solely to bring themselves back up to the same level as AF/KL.

(VS has, of course, no short-haul pax departing LHR; I don't see why AFKL would want to fork out for lounge access in LHR for those pax only travelling to CDG or AMS; the pax that travel further, if only within Europe, and all of AFKL's long haul pax, will have access to a lounge, just not at LHR)

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 27, 20 at 12:11 pm
Old Jul 27, 20, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Being a "home town" airline, there is far more reason to expect that VS feels it far more important to have a lounge offering at their main hub, than does AF/KL at what, for them, is an outstation.

I don't see that AF/KL will feel the same inclination to pay for their LHR-originating passengers; AF and KL at least offer a lounge during their pax's transfer at their respective hubs; you could argue that VS are doing this, now that the Plaza Premium lounge is finally opening, solely to bring themselves back up to the same level as AF/KL.

(VS has, of course, no short-haul pax departing LHR; I don't see why AFKL would want to fork out for lounge access in LHR for those pax only travelling to CDG or AMS; the pax that travel further, if only within Europe, and all of AFKL's long haul pax, will have access to a lounge, just not at LHR)

Yep, I wouldn't expect AF or KL to dish out for lounge access for these flights to CDG/AMS either. I don't think Delta is offering anything out of T2 now either, given their limited schedules. VS has only just recently secured what it needs to continue flying, and the skeleton customer service crews are buried in refund request from numerous cancellations.

BA has done well to re-open facilities at T5, but they've got both short haul and long haul, as well as AA now at T5 and other O" partners coming over as well.

Then again, NOTHING beats the VS Clubhouse at T3 - hopefully opening again at some point soon!

Last edited by skye1; Jul 27, 20 at 12:23 pm
Old Jul 27, 20, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by skye1 View Post
Yep, I wouldn't expect AF or KL to dish out for lounge access for these flights to CDG/AMS either. I don't think Delta is offering anything out of T2 now either, given their limited schedules.
We can understand this if it was a temporary situation, but knowing how the situation is evolving everywhere, we can guess the reallocation of airlines in one terminal is here to stay for a while and so the airlines hosted in a different terminal should look for options in their "temporary" terminal. I am sure the Plaza Premium lounge in LHR T2 will be very happy to have additional pax. Airlines must maintain a level of service as close as possible to normal if they want pax to come back.
Old Jul 27, 20, 4:08 pm

I think it's a case of reduced demand. VS just doesn't have that many flights going out of T2.

I can see irishguy28 's point about AF/KLM, as their passangers would have respective lounges at CDG/AMS, just a 30/40 minute flight away.
I can see Virgin utilising the Plaza Premium facilities for its Upper Class/FC Gold pax, as that's a significant distinction from its economy offerings, and in keeping with what their chief competitor, BA, is doing over at T5. VS just began operations a few days ago.

VS had posted on their website that the lounges would be available as of August 1st, but then just changed that to August 10, and I assume that's out of their control. Whilst not as awesome as the Clubhouse for VS, the PP lounges at T2, are actually waaaaaaay better than the Skyteam offering at T4 that AF, KL, and AZ would have been using. The Skyteam lounge at T4 was never anything to write home about, especially since they started taking on the Etihad pax after Etihad closed theirs, and the Skyteam lounge would get ridiculously more crowded than it already was at peak times.
Old Jul 28, 20, 12:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G ELPL, KL P ELPL, was AB G, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D, SPG P
I guess the only situation which would make them pay is if Heathrow airport was paying. I assume the closure of T4 was involuntary from Skyteam perspective and is seen as a breach of contract by Heathrow airport. Now, I don’t know if they get anything else other than rent reduction/waiver out of it. However, from an airline’s perspective, cost reduction is arguably more important,

Search this Thread
Search Engine: