Schiphol Health Declaration?

Old Jul 15, 20, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Schiphol Health Declaration?

Hi everyone,

I was reading on Schiphol's website that a printed and signed health declaration is now required when travelling through Schiphol. I'm flying out on Monday but don't have access to a printer and won't be able to print anything before then. Has anyone travelled recently who can advise whether or not this is actually necessary or checked? Or, if there are printed copies at Schiphol that can be completed at the airport?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Jul 15, 20, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by rwSEA View Post
Hi everyone,

I was reading on Schiphol's website that a printed and signed health declaration is now required when travelling through Schiphol. I'm flying out on Monday but don't have access to a printer and won't be able to print anything before then. Has anyone travelled recently who can advise whether or not this is actually necessary or checked? Or, if there are printed copies at Schiphol that can be completed at the airport?

Many thanks in advance!
There are forms available. When I flew JFK AMS KLM agents hysterically shouted at passengers to fill out the OBLIGATORY Dutch health forms, demanding everyong hold it open with passports and boarding passes, checking that we all had one while boarding. Upon landing in Amsterdam we were told that our health forms "might" be checked. Upon disembarking no one asked or checked for the declaration forms.,,,,,,
Old Jul 15, 20, 4:16 pm
Suspended

You are located in Amsterdam and claim you dont have access to a printer before next Monday ??? I find that very hard to believe unless you are in solitary confinement. Try this https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=cop...-Holland%2C+NL in Amsterdam or this inside the airport before security https://www.schiphol.nl/en/at-schiph...e#time-details
Old Jul 16, 20, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by rwSEA View Post
Hi everyone,

Many thanks in advance!
Necessary? yes, in theory. Also, I seem to remember that airlines are supposed to provide these forms to travelers.

That said, I went to AMS twice last week (arrival and departure), and even passed immigration to reach the non-Schengen lounge and my health declaration was never checked. Also note that AF didn't provide the health certificate when boarding from France.

So the rule exists, but it does not seem to be strictly enforced at this time.
Old Jul 16, 20, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The proliferation of all sorts of inane and pointless health declaration forms is simply astounding.

Do governments and authorities really have nothing better to do than to come up with silly ways to annoy and inconvenience people?

Johan
Goldorak, dmarge18 and AlvinMaker like this.
Old Jul 16, 20, 4:01 am

Went through AMS recently, they didn't check the form upon arrival but collected it before boarding the connecting flight.
They insisted that everyone fills it very properly, sending people back if they just answered one general 'no' to Q2 instead of filling 'no' for each sub-question separately.

The form is here and yes, there were some in the boarding area:
https://materials.klm.com/landingpag...aration_EN.pdf
Old Jul 16, 20, 4:35 am

Programs: Platinum Flying Blue; LH FTL
I can add a data point, that nobody asked for the dutch health declaration:

Last Saturday (July 11) I dropped my mother at Vienna airport for her flight back home.
At no point @Vie, inside KL flight, @AMS my mother was asked to give or show the form....so much for bureaucracy

stay healthy!
Old Jul 16, 20, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wjv144 View Post
so much for bureaucracy
That form can only have been designed by a career bureaucrat with 40 years of experience, inflexible and set in his ways. Witness the fact that not only do you have to date the form, but also state the time you signed it. Everybody knows that every minute counts, so that is truly essential information. Without it the pandemic would wipe out half the plane before arrival.

According to Schiphol.nl

"there are also employees at Schiphol who pay attention to notable health complaints. That's why it's smart to store your health certificate in a convenient place in your hand luggage"

I can picture a scene straight from Monty Python here:

Employee: "Hi, I'm paying attention to notable health complaints, did I just hear you sneeze?"
Passenger: "No, that wasn't me."
Employee: "Did you cough lightly, then?"
Passenger: "I'm very sorry, but I don't have a cough."
Employee: "Do you have have any notable health complaints?"
Passenger: "No, I do not have any such complaints."
Employee: "Can you prove it?"
Passenger: "Sure! Here's my Traveler Public Health Declaration Form.Completed and signed two hours, 17 minutes and 43 seconds ago!"
Employee: "Ah, that's great! Thank you! Thank you so much! That proves you are fit as a fiddle! Should you see anybody else with notable health complaints, please go rat on them straight away at the airport medical services department."

Johan
Old Jul 16, 20, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
However, none of that helps OP. All OP wants to know is whether he needs to find a printer somewhere near where he is before he gets to the airport.

Whether it is a good idea seems to be better suited for one of the existing threads on OMNI which delve into the life-altering problems these issues apparently cause some.
Old Jul 16, 20, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
However, none of that helps OP. All OP wants to know is whether he needs to find a printer somewhere near where he is before he gets to the airport.
I believe we also need to answer the question "Has anyone travelled recently who can advise whether or not this is actually necessary or checked?".

On this topic, another data point -- this time:
  • they didn't mention this form anywhere (last time I got a pre-checkin SMS + mail)
  • they didn't ask for it anywhere either (arrival, transfer, immigration, boarding...)

So more generally the answer seems to be "it's not always necessary or checked, but if it is, they'll give you one". They also helpfully distribute AF-approved face masks.

Last edited by AlvinMaker; Jul 16, 20 at 10:20 am
Old Jul 16, 20, 2:37 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, AccorLiveLimitless Platinum
When filling in the form I was questioning myself if the question about if I coughed the last 24 hour was a trick question.

The forms were available at the checkin desk when I departed AMS on a non Schengen flight and when returning on a Schengen flight I did not see them. Also did not need to show it anywhere nor did I hear anyone about it.
Old Jul 17, 20, 3:03 pm

Programs: FB Plat
I flew from AMS last week. Also no access to a printer, so filled out the form on my phone. They didn't accept that at the gate, so they gave me an empty form to fill out on the spot. Without form no boarding allowed.
Old Jul 18, 20, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by westi2002 View Post
I flew from AMS last week. Also no access to a printer, so filled out the form on my phone. They didn't accept that at the gate, so they gave me an empty form to fill out on the spot. Without form no boarding allowed.
What a relief to learn that bureaucracy is hard at work saving the world.

Johan
Goldorak, AlvinMaker and Thysk like this.
Old Jul 19, 20, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Thanks all for your replies. I'm flying tomorrow so I'll report back as well.
Old Jul 20, 20, 4:31 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Flying from ATH there was a Dutch border officier at the gate in Athens. Gate crew checked the form and the border control guy seemed to jump in when issues came up.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: