Meals in Business Class AMS/ORD

Old Jun 29, 20, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Meals in Business Class AMS/ORD

What should I expect by way of inflight service in late July AMS/ORD? It is 8 hours 45 mins officially, and I note you have to fly for more than 9 hours to be fed - is that really the case?
Old Jun 29, 20, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Yes, it really is true, and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

(But you didn't choose KLM for the quantity and quality of the food offered onboard!)
Attached Images  
Thysk and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 2:33 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Iberia Silver
Originally Posted by KLM
...You can still ask us for water and soft drinks...
They don't even promise you will get them.
Solevita, Thysk and Porcepic like this.
Old Jul 1, 20, 8:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I have an 8 hour KLM flight next week, so it looks like I'll only get a plastic bag with snacks and drinks in J. Someone above mentioned something about also being offered a vegetarian pasta dish. Would they offer that on <9 hour flights or should I plan to bring my own food (assuming I want more than a banana and biscuit for dinner)? I will report back on my experience.

For my trip, KLM is the only airline offering a 1-stop itinerary, and the next fastest routing on any airline (with 2 stops) would add 5 hours to my journey. This type of catering situation in business class is only possible when they have this much leverage against the passenger.

Last edited by Billy Mumphrey; Jul 1, 20 at 8:14 pm
Old Jul 2, 20, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey View Post
Would they offer that on <9 hour flights or should I plan to bring my own food (assuming I want more than a banana and biscuit for dinner)? I will report back on my experience.
You should plan on bringing your own food.

For my trip, KLM is the only airline offering a 1-stop itinerary, and the next fastest routing on any airline (with 2 stops) would add 5 hours to my journey. This type of catering situation in business class is only possible when they have this much leverage against the passenger.
KLM offers this service across the board - even on routes where there are cheaper/faster itineraries available. It's mischaracterising KLM to suggest (as it seems that you are) that they are somehow "leveraging" your unwillingness to spend a further 5 hours in transit on another carrier. You'd get the same service even if there was a competitor offering a direct flight for a cheaper price on your particular itinerary.
Old Jul 2, 20, 1:46 am

Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
KLM intends to gradually improve( by adding items every 2 weeks or so) on board catering FROM JULY 4TH, with the exception of flights to destinations like DXB/INDIA/PVG, which will keep current product.

on all Longhaul flights ; effective saturday july 4th
WBC on all flights 1 C class tray and additionally the food bag
Drinks still limited, no alcohol A 2nd WBC tray is expected by august . no exact date mentioned.
In Economy ; 1 try service with hotmeal , sealed drinks eg bottles water and cans of softdrinks/juices
Additional food bag and on longer flights sandwich.

Snacks and hotdrinks ( coffee etc) will be available in the galleys.

ON European flights ; effective saturday july 4th

Service will be as on KLC flights offering in EBC;
a bag with coffee and tea and water in the morning and drinkservice and softdrinks gets of the day.
On longer flights a KLC box will be offered.
Its a so called one shot service still limiting the amount of contact as advised by IATA
In economy a sandwich box is offered or on some flights a cake box along with coffee/tea water juices softdrinks all canned.

IN SHORT;

On all longhaul flights a meal tray and additional bags with food drinks; no alcohol served.
On shorthaul a snack with limited drinks. improvement C class offering
Airline intends to gradually add items so information could be incorrect by time you might fly!

Lounges in Amsterdam are open ; and offer also alcoholic beverages as mentioned elsewhere.
Sources internal documents. The company adds its listened to feedback wishes and complaints from crew and passengers resulting into this scheme of upscaling its service with additional items added every 2 weeks or so. TBC ! safe flights

UPDATE REMARK; ALCOHOL WILL BE AVAILABLE FROM JULY 18TH ONWARDS FLEET WIDE ( many stations have no stock, several catering companies went bankrupt ... ) .

Last edited by splflyer; Jul 3, 20 at 4:32 am Reason: extra info
Old Jul 2, 20, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by splflyer View Post
KLM intends to gradually improve( by adding items every 2 weeks or so) on board catering FROM JULY 4TH, with the exception of flights to destinations like DXB/INDIA/PVG, which will keep current product.

on all Longhaul flights ; effective saturday july 4th
WBC on all flights 1 C class tray and additionally the food bag
Drinks still limited, no alcohol A 2nd WBC tray is expected by august . no exact date mentioned.
In Economy ; 1 try service with hotmeal , sealed drinks eg bottles water and cans of softdrinks/juices
Additional food bag and on longer flights sandwich.

Snacks and hotdrinks ( coffee etc) will be available in the galleys.

ON European flights ; effective saturday july 4th

Service will be as on KLC flights offering in EBC;
a bag with coffee and tea and water in the morning and drinkservice and softdrinks gets of the day.
On longer flights a KLC box will be offered.
Its a so called one shot service still limiting the amount of contact as advised by IATA
In economy a sandwich box is offered or on some flights a cake box along with coffee/tea water juices softdrinks all canned.

IN SHORT;

On all longhaul flights a meal tray and additional bags with food drinks; no alcohol served.
On shorthaul a snack with limited drinks. improvement C class offering
Airline intends to gradually add items so information could be incorrect by time you might fly!

Lounges in Amsterdam are open ; and offer also alcoholic beverages as mentioned elsewhere.
Sources internal documents. The company adds its listened to feedback wishes and complaints from crew and passengers resulting into this scheme of upscaling its service with additional items added every 2 weeks or so. TBC ! safe flights
This is good news, and just in time for me! I will check the website after the 4th to confirm.

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
You should plan on bringing your own food.

KLM offers this service across the board - even on routes where there are cheaper/faster itineraries available. It's mischaracterising KLM to suggest (as it seems that you are) that they are somehow "leveraging" your unwillingness to spend a further 5 hours in transit on another carrier. You'd get the same service even if there was a competitor offering a direct flight for a cheaper price on your particular itinerary.
Yes, I know they offer the same "service" across the board. But they also have the best connectivity on many routes to and within Europe at the moment, and I feel like they can retain customers like me due only to the fact that there are no better alternatives on other airlines. For example, I had the choice to rebook the transatlantic portion on Delta when KLM made a schedule change, but I elected to stay on KLM because the routing and timing was so much better. I'm not trying to suggest they'd offer better service on a route like JFK-AMS because they know Delta is also flying it. My only point was they know they can get away with deeper cuts in catering system-wide because of their good connectivity relative to other carriers.
Old Jul 2, 20, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

However - Delta is not another carrier.

AFKLDL operate a metal-neutral immunised joint venture on all transatlantic routes; you may consider Delta to be a separate airline (and indeed, the onboard service will be very different!) but KLM certainly does not view DL as being a competing or even separate airline across the Atlantic. They effectively operate as a single entity on these routes.
Old Jul 2, 20, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by splflyer View Post
The company adds its listened to feedback wishes and complaints from crew and passengers resulting into this scheme of upscaling its service with additional items added every 2 weeks or so.
They are listening to complaints? Who do they think they are kidding?

What's the rationale behind adding items every two weeks or so? The FA's are becoming less susceptible to C-19 every other week? Or less afraid? Or is the virus becoming less virulent every fortnight?

Come on, just bring back the proper service that passengers are actually paying for. Especially in J.

Johan
Goldorak, YYCCL3, Carel1 and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 3, 20, 4:35 am

Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
This is good news, and just in time for me! I will check the website after the 4th to confirm.

If your flight is after july 18th ; alcoholic beverages will be available as well.

Yes, I know they offer the same "service" across the board. But they also have the best connectivity on many routes to and within Europe at the moment, and I feel like they can retain customers like me due only to the fact that there are no better alternatives on other airlines. For example, I had the choice to rebook the transatlantic portion on Delta when KLM made a schedule change, but I elected to stay on KLM because the routing and timing was so much better. I'm not trying to suggest they'd offer better service on a route like JFK-AMS because they know Delta is also flying it. My only point was they know they can get away with deeper cuts in catering system-wide because of their good connectivity relative to other carriers.
Old Jul 3, 20, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; A3 Gold; Marriott LTT Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
They are listening to complaints? Who do they think they are kidding?

What's the rationale behind adding items every two weeks or so? The FA's are becoming less susceptible to C-19 every other week? Or less afraid? Or is the virus becoming less virulent every fortnight?

Come on, just bring back the proper service that passengers are actually paying for. Especially in J.

Johan
this thousand times

Search this Thread
Search Engine: