Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Can "apply" for a refund on a KLM fare - is it guaranteed to be refundable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2020, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Silver Level: DL, Non-Elite: AS, UA, AA, WN

I went onto KLM.com after hearing about some specially scheduled KLM is running from South Africa that I'm interested in, but they're crazy expensive though at $1,500 one-way. I'm thinking of making a reservation for the flight cause the site suggests it's refundable.

This is the language:
Changes before the trip
You can change your ticket before your first outbound flight at no cost to the same or a higher fare type.
Changes after the trip
You can change your ticket after your first outbound flight at no cost to the same or a higher fare type.
Refund before the trip
Before the departure of your first outbound flight, you can apply for a refund at no extra costs if you cancel your flight.
Refund after the trip
After the departure of your first outbound flight, you can apply for a refund at no extra costs if you cancel your flight.
I'm worried about the idea that one has to "apply" for a refund? Does that mean that if I ask for it, that'll be automatically granted or are there some sort of caveats that I'm not aware of?

Any clarifications from someone who's more familiar on how KLM does this would be really helpful.

​​​​​​​Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
What you have quoted is not the full, detailed fare rules.

Without seeing the actual detailed fare rules, no-one can guarantee you anything.

And don't put too much store in what the website says. It also promises full meals, snacks, drinks a plenty - none of which is currently the case.

Given that you say this is a "special schedule", then all bets are off regarding what the fare rules will be.

However, I would indeed say that you are right to show caution - there is at least a chance that you would be charged something to cancel. I would advise, as always, NOT buying at ticket until you know you actually will be travelling.

At those prices, I can see no reason why you would actually want to buy the ticket right now.

Better safe than sorry. Only buy a ticket when you know you have to travel.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by Khabibul35
I went onto KLM.com after hearing about some specially scheduled KLM is running from South Africa that I'm interested in, but they're crazy expensive though at $1,500 one-way. I'm thinking of making a reservation for the flight cause the site suggests it's refundable.

This is the language:

I'm worried about the idea that one has to "apply" for a refund? Does that mean that if I ask for it, that'll be automatically granted or are there some sort of caveats that I'm not aware of?

Any clarifications from someone who's more familiar on how KLM does this would be really helpful.

Thanks!
No help on the refund, but return fares on KLM are normally a lot cheaper than a one-way ticket.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tigertanaka
No help on the refund, but return fares on KLM are normally a lot cheaper than a one-way ticket.
KL flights to/from JNB are currently cargo only. As OP refers to "specially scheduled" flights, I'm guessing they are repatriation flights of some sort, thus by definition one way only.

Johan
tigertanaka likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Silver Level: DL, Non-Elite: AS, UA, AA, WN
Originally Posted by irishguy28
What you have quoted is not the full, detailed fare rules.

Without seeing the actual detailed fare rules, no-one can guarantee you anything.
I can't seem to find a way to pull up fare rules from KLM.com at any point during the purchasing process, but I was able to get the fare basis on one random page. It was YS5U10NY, which is valid for JNB-KBP on 21 June 2020.

As far as only purchasing tickets I intend to fly, that's usually great advice but without regular service these things can and do easily get sold out. The last flight from JNB on 14 June on KLM lasted barely 6 hours before selling out and before that one I hadn't seen a JNB-KBP itinerary on a single ticket for sale for the last 3 months. I'm hoping to get something a bit cheaper as things begin opening up, but that's not a guarantee.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
From a quick look online, if you wait til July you can more than half that price, and travel on a wider selection of airlines!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.