Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

KLM to make face masks compulsory for all passengers from 11 May 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2020, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

Originally Posted by KLM
Compulsory face masks on board

Since the Covid-19 outbreak began, KLM has introduced many measures around screening and hygiene to protect customers and KLM staff, on board and at airports. KLM's policy is based on national (RIVM) and international (WHO, IATA) guidelines, and complies with international law and regulations. In situations where social distancing cannot be guaranteed, the wearing of face masks will be recommended or made compulsory. Some destinations already require face masks to be worn on board flights.

Starting 11 May, and simultaneous with the restoration of the KLM network, masks will be compulsory on board and during boarding. Passengers are responsible for providing their own face masks.

In view of the changing nature of regulations and legislation, until further notice, face masks will remain compulsory until 31 August 2020.

Further details will be published in the course of this week on KLM.com and in passengers' pre-travel and check-in information.

Last edited by irishguy28; May 4, 2020 at 10:13 am
Old May 4, 2020, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Same policy for AF.
Old May 4, 2020, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A lot cheaper for KL than blocking middle seats, especially since pax have to provide their own masks.

Johan
Thysk likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 2:23 am

[nevermind. not getting into this topic here.]

Last edited by terrier; May 5, 2020 at 2:26 am Reason: off-topic
Old May 5, 2020, 3:30 am

Programs: FB
Are they specifying face masks or a face covering?
Old May 5, 2020, 3:40 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
They only say “masks”: https://news.klm.com/klm-starts-grad...sory-on-board/
jambochris likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 5:58 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by jambochris
Are they specifying face masks or a face covering?
Well according to Dutch news, anything that covers the face (mouth and nose - not your eyes of course) is ok - so basically any cloth or eye-masks cum mouth/nose cover.
https://nos.nl/artikel/2332767-klm-s...-ook-goed.html

Cheers!
jambochris and Thysk like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
Oh well looks like no more flying for me for a while, as an asthma sufferer I am not going to try flying with a mask ! Guess it's back to driving in EU
the810 likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by ninjalad
Oh well looks like no more flying for me for a while, as an asthma sufferer I am not going to try flying with a mask ! Guess it's back to driving in EU
To be honest, what did you expect?
Just a quick look at the average loadfactors and the yearly profit makes it quite clear flying half empty planes isn't economical and therefore not a long time solution.

It's either "full" planes or no planes.
irishguy28 and Goldorak like this.
Old May 8, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
That's true, but making flying even more miserable doesn't sound like a very good strategy to fill those planes. I would understand it if it was an actual safety measure backed by science, but in all honesty we all know it's just a gimmick.

For me personally, this means no flying (with KLM at least) until the end of summer, even though I had many travel plans and I was willing (even craving) to go ahead with them. And since KLM is one of few airlines that still runs a reasonable network, I was planning to fly with them. I don't have a medical condition (hence no exception for me), but I struggle to breath in the mask and will get dizzy after couple of minutes. I simply can't wear it for 3 hours.

The way I see it, many in travel industry believe the way to revive leisure travel is to introduce meassures that will boost people's confidence to travel. I don't think this is gonna work. People who are afraid of the virus will not opt to travel just because other passengers wear masks. And on the other hand, people who don't share this fear and would be happy to go on a holiday will be put off by the misserable experience, having to cope with all this nonsense.
With business travel not recovering anytime soon, I don't see how this could work.
johan rebel and dmarge18 like this.
Old May 9, 2020, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the810
I would understand it if it was an actual safety measure backed by science, but in all honesty we all know it's just a gimmick.
Precisely. One of many such. Temperature checks are sure to be all the rage soon too.

You are absolutely right: the craven and anxious will cower at home regardless, while those of us who are chomping at the bit will be annoyed or put off if airlines insist on treating us like lepers or carriers of the bubonic plague.

Johan
The_Bouncer and dmarge18 like this.
Old May 9, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
I gather that AF/KL will bring in temp. checks after 11th !
Old May 9, 2020, 3:41 pm

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
The pdf they link to doesn't outline what the procedure is for those who can't wear a mask. In fact the pdf has this juicy choice quote:

I have difficulty breathing when I wear a mask. Should I still wear one?

Yes, even then you will have to wear a mask. Make sure you use a comfortable model, if possible with an outlet valve to make it easier for you to breath.
Seriously want kind of BS is this? The airline is actually limiting people's ability to breath normally, the world gone mad.
HalconBCN likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 5:22 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
That quote convinced me that the goal of this measure is to prove us wrong for claiming that airlines can't make the onboard experience any more miserable. "Let's ban breathing, that will teach them!"

On a positive note, I'm sure Ryanair will soon introduce some kind of pay-per-breath scheme and as always, legacy carries will follow.

Seriously, I would love to understand where does this come from. Is it unions, or does management actually believe this is a good sane commercial decision?
Old May 10, 2020, 12:17 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
My hunch is that this comes from the same place the face mask requirements in public transport (and, in some places, in shops) come from - a (perhaps irrational) desire of the people to just “do something” by wearing a mask, no matter whether it actually helps or even makes things worse.
johan rebel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.