In-flight Catering Drastically Pared Back

Old Jun 30, 2020, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
That won't get you far in a place like Geneva, especially the airport. But it's better than nothing.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 7:15 pm

Programs: FB Plat, SQ*G, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
So it can be done! First time that DL catering scores higher then KL. Lets just hope dutch unions are also subscribed to the newsletter 🤪
Disagree. Delta has been above KLM's offerings onboard for a long time. Drinks, alcohol and meals are a higher standard on DL. (except for domestic basic economy of course)
keitherson, HalconBCN and Thysk like this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Would it not be for Madrid, my departure city? I will find out tomorrow but if anyone can shed more light I would be grateful
Nobody in Madrid knew anything about it, they thought I might receive a voucher via mobile. But I didn't.
Anyway, I was happy to observe a sandwich, stroopwafel and cup of water waiting on my seat. Minimal interaction with the crew. Flight only 60% full so plenty of room to space out.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
KLM site has been updated:

As of 4 July, we’ll make some more adjustments to our catering. On European flights, you’ll receive a box containing a sandwich in Economy Class. In Business Class, you’ll receive a box created by Dutch designer Marcel Wanders with breakfast, lunch or dinner. On intercontinental flights, we’ll serve a hot meal regardless of the flight duration. In Economy Class, you’ll receive a salad, a hot meal, and a dessert. Water, soft drinks, coffee and tea will be available on all flights.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I love how they manage to shoehorn in Marcel Wanders' name into everything.

One can only conclude that they find it far more important to advertise the fact that the BOX was designed by this guy, rather than worrying about what to put in the box, or whether there would be a more satisfactory way of feeding their passengers.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by irishguy28

One can only conclude that they find it far more important to advertise the fact that the BOX was designed by this guy, rather than worrying about what to put in the box, or whether there would be a more satisfactory way of feeding their passengers.
and still no wine or champagne or anything reasonable for adults
Old Jul 3, 2020, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by asnovici
and still no wine or champagne or anything reasonable for adults
If Marcel Wanders could be persuaded to design a bottle or decanter, then KLM would carry it onboard and even maybe serve wine from it...
Old Jul 3, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
If Marcel Wanders could be persuaded to design a bottle or decanter, then KLM would carry it onboard and even maybe serve wine from it...
That is just way too much to expect of KL
Thysk likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 5:04 pm

Programs: KL Plat

According to the infallible Wikipeda, Meneer Wanders (don't accidentally substitute the d in his last name for a letter almost in the same position on the opposite side of the K-eyboard):

...who designs architectural, interior and industrial projects
I wonder which of those categories the food box comes under?
Old Jul 4, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
According to the infallible Wikipeda, Meneer Wanders (don't accidentally substitute the d in his last name for a letter almost in the same position on the opposite side of the K-eyboard):

Quote:
...who designs architectural, interior and industrial projects
I wonder which of those categories the food box comes under?

Inferior😉
Didymis, Thysk and Solevita like this.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Decent breakfast box served now in J on AMS-LYS, and an actual coffee mug rather than a paper cup.

Wine and sparkling wine available in the AMS Schengen lounge, even though the lounge is only open during the morning.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 2:08 pm
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by stimpy
Wine and sparkling wine available in the AMS Schengen lounge, even though the lounge is only open during the morning.
There is always somewhere in the world a place where it is evening and time for a drink.
the810 and SkyteamEP like this.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 12:51 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by skycruiserNL
Disagree. Delta has been above KLM's offerings onboard for a long time. Drinks, alcohol and meals are a higher standard on DL. (except for domestic basic economy of course)
I'm afraid this is the case. Not only does DL offer better Business Class seats on many planes (350, 333, 777 now retired -- just avoid 767 and 757s) but their catering has always been better in both Y and J. This is also true for Air France, now that the A380 is retired.
skycruiserNL likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Close. Rumour has it he is currently working on a new model of water cuplet
Old Jul 5, 2020, 4:09 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Talking

Originally Posted by keitherson
I'm afraid this is the case. Not only does DL offer better Business Class seats on many planes (350, 333, 777 now retired -- just avoid 767 and 757s) but their catering has always been better in both Y and J. This is also true for Air France, now that the A380 is retired.
I don't disagree with you on the seats, but catering wise I do. I have to say it's been a few years that I had Y catering on a DL flight, but never forgot that for breakfast they gave a 'Yakult' and a banana. Flew one of the first A350 flights from AMS to ATL and C catering was average at best. KL isn't that great either, but I do rate them higher. For instance for the ability to get a soup option and the snacks.

I made the point more about the fact that DL was already offering full catering during these times, whilst KLM throws a bag of snacks at you at the beginning of the flight. Replayed 'Come Fly With Me' Penny from First serving Y class ... but at least times are changing again.
irishguy28 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.