Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In-flight Catering Drastically Pared Back

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2021, 4:11 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Any recent experience of the Business Class food & beverage service on BKK-AMS? I have this flight coming up this month so keen to find out more about what to expect. Thanks!

Last edited by NoY; Apr 13, 2021 at 6:48 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 13, 2021, 6:01 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NoY
Any recent experience of the Business Class for & beverage service on BKK-AMS? I have this flight coming up this month so keen to find out more about what to expect. Thanks!
I flew BKK-AMS in late January (as part of the CGK-BKK-AMS flight then, more passengers boarded in BKK). Drinks are pretty much normal I believe, and everyone is handed a bottle of water on top of that. Food is catered in BKK. IIRC, there was a rather light dinner after takeoff with everything served in one tray, then before landing breakfast. The meals felt pretty normal and didn't seem pared back although the packagings were still unwrapped when served.

I believe, for dinner there were three main course options, one which was ravioli (vegetarian), a stir fried noodle dish, and a protein and rice dish IIRC. These are the pictures from that flight.

Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli (the vegetarian option), with salad and cheese for dinner
Mushy scrambled eggs for breakfast (there were accompaniments under the eggs)

Overall it wasn't very good (food ex-AMS was much better imo), but still very much edible.
NoY likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 6:51 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Many thanks for the input. Pretty much as I expected to be honest. Basic/comfort food, with little finesse. Were wines/champagne served in individual bottles or poured from full size bottles? Cheers.

p.s. I didn't have much choice on carriers to UK, with minimum connections, given the UK's "red list" countries & my final destination being MAN. Oh well, another carrier ticked off of my list
clubeurope likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 4:18 am

Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
Originally Posted by NoY
Many thanks for the input. Pretty much as I expected to be honest. Basic/comfort food, with little finesse. Were wines/champagne served in individual bottles or poured from full size bottles? Cheers.
Wine champagne etc is from full size bottles in C Class, same for other alcoholic beverages/spirits

p.s. I didn't have much choice on carriers to UK, with minimum connections, given the UK's "red list" countries & my final destination being MAN. Oh well, another carrier ticked off of my list
True KLM is offering reasonable connections currently. Some flights/days are operated with b 773 and some with the newer more comfy b 787. Perhaps worthwhile to have look into.... Lounges in Amsterdam are open 7 am-9 pm for non schengen with reasonable breakfast options . safe travels
NoY and clubeurope like this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by NoY
Basic/comfort food, with little finesse.
If that's comfort food, I'd hate to see your idea of austere fare!!!
Old Apr 14, 2021, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by NoY

they were served in glasses! well at least the champagne was... nothing special though
NoY likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by splflyer
True KLM is offering reasonable connections currently. Some flights/days are operated with b 773 and some with the newer more comfy b 787. Perhaps worthwhile to have look into.... Lounges in Amsterdam are open 7 am-9 pm for non schengen with reasonable breakfast options . safe travels
I flew the 789 on the outbound and a 773 on the return, and found that the 777 was a lot more comfortable. The seat felt like it had much more cushioning compared to the 787. and with the cabin practically empty, having two seats to myself felt more spacious than the configuration of the 787 hahah (although of course i'll have different opinions had the cabins been full).
NoY likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:29 pm
NoY

Originally Posted by splflyer
Thanks - we are on a B777-300ER/B737-800 combination.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:30 pm
NoY

Originally Posted by irishguy28
If that's comfort food, I'd hate to see your idea of austere fare!!!
Well, it MIGHT taste good?!
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:05 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
KL 686 MEX-MAD 14 APRIL

snapper

fine brekkie

The food was fantastic but what really stood out was amazing crew. After being on AM and AF mostly this felt like First class flight. Nice nice nice!
NoY, Xandrios, aeroman380 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by 747jetter
KL 686 MEX-MAD 14 APRIL

snapper

fine brekkie

The food was fantastic but what really stood out was amazing crew. After being on AM and AF mostly this felt like First class flight. Nice nice nice!
Is it me misinterpreting, or is that a giant ramekin of butter?
Old Apr 16, 2021, 2:48 am

Programs: FB:Plat ALL:Plat
Looks good!
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:07 am
NoY

Recently flew (HKT-)BKK-AMS-MAN in Business Class (first time ever flying KLM long haul) - food was as expected - basic but fine, plentiful & tasty enough, so no surprises there. Seats are dated but again just fine - and we managed 6 hours or so sleep. Crew were very professional, friendly & attentive. Al in all a rather good journey.
Gajan likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:44 am

KL837 ASIAN VEGETARIAN MEAL
AMS-SIN-CGK
World Business Class

I recently flew on KL837 from Amsterdam to Jakarta, via Singapore. Deciding not to gamble with the selection on board, having a pescetarian diet - I decided to order an Asian Vegetarian Meal. For reference, the below are the choices for the normal menu to the best of my knowledge and recollection.

Normal Menu on board
Appetiser
Salad with Beef Carpaccio

Main Course
Cod served with Potatoes
or
Oriental Style Beef and Prawns with Jasmine Rice
or
Vegetarian Main Course of Grilled Vegetables

Dessert
Cheese or Sweets

Breakfast

Snack between SIN-CGK
Mozzarella and Tomato Panini
or
Smoked Salmon Sandwich with Emmental
As expected there isn't a menu for my special meal, so the descriptions below are based on what I think the dishes are (sorry if there are any mistakes in interpretation). Overall it was a rather good special meal and something I'd definitely order again as a pescetarian/vegetarian. The main is spicy although could have benefitted with some more salt (which coincidentally was offered for the breakfast). A dessert of sliced fruit was also provided, although I didn't take a picture of it.

The breakfast was a bit odd and consists of a savoury pastry with chocolate pudding and fruits... definitely not a traditional breakfast option but surprisingly good (although personally not a big fan of pudding).

On the SIN-CGK leg, an AVML wrap was offered in place of the two choices. Later the lovely crew came back and offered a serving of the vegetarian sandwich, although I declined.

Appetiser - Tomato and Rocket Salad with a side of Carrot and Lettuce Salad served with two stale bread rolls and balsamic vinegar

AVML Main - Aloo Gobi, Paneer, and Lentil Dahl with Wild Rice (very good although could do with a pinch more salt)

Breakfast - Aloo Pasty with Non-dairy Chocolate Pudding and Sliced Fruits

Snack between Singapore and Jakarta - Wrap with Lentils inside
Xandrios likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 6:17 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Smiles/GOL Diamond, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum
KL791 AMS-GRU last week,
In a nutshell, a very cheap experience from F&B to service.
  • Pre-departure drink was offered: Champagne or juice.
  • Pre-meal drink: had the signature Negroni, offered with nuts. Fresh but a with a lemon slice and a light chemical taste.
  • Meal was not what you can expect from a 11h30 business class flight. No expresso coffee available (maybe no machine in the 777).
  • Some snacks were available during the flight.
  • Light meal: empanada was OK, apple tart way too industrial.
Side note: the Portuguese translation of the menu was 50% erroneous.

I have to fly mostly KLM on this route this year due to flight schedules and I have to say the experience is totally outdated. I strongly recommend to fly Air France whenever possible (better F&B and professional service, newest and more comfortable airplane A350 vs old 773).

Starter was good. Salad was not the freshest one (not the 1st time with KLM).

The fish arrived very hot. Needless to say it was overcooked.

And here is the best appreciated veggie dish.

Dessert was cheese or sweet, very surprising. And I made the wrong choice.
johan rebel and Xandrios like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.