In-flight Catering Drastically Pared Back

Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by af fp
Yuuuuck, I don't want to travel anywhere until this issue is solved.
Good! If the prospect of catching a nasty and potentially deadly virus, and infecting anyone you come in contact with, did not manage to put you off travelling already, KLM's catering solution was succesful in doing so!
af fp, Fabo.sk, Wunk and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Good! If the prospect of catching a nasty and potentially deadly virus, and infecting anyone you come in contact with, did not manage to put you off travelling already, KLM's catering solution was succesful in doing so!
I know, reason is not always on my side, but if you cut my drinks and food I might start thinking. Might...
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:54 am

what is flying like on KL nowadays?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:13 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by erik123
what is flying like on KL nowadays?
Totally weird - I had to fly to DUB from AMS last week suddenly due to an illness in my family (I'm now in self quarantine for two weeks - and I have no idea when I'm flying back to NL). Schiphol was empty, I think I saw 100 people in the airport, nothing open, NS-security had only one lane open, no sky priority or anything else but no queues and lots of security staff. I think it took me 5 minutes from arrival in the airport to passport control. Flight had maybe 20 people total, mostly transfers, with bus to the airplane. They took 10 people at a time on the bus, no problem keeping distance.

On the plane itself, each (to be occupied) seat was (as has been reported) pre positioned with sandwich and water. The cabin crew were in masks/gloves and announced that there would be no further service. They did the safety demonstration by trying to keep the equipment as far away from themselves as possible (i.e. not putting on the life vest, but attempting to demonstrate with one hand). They asked that the overhead bell only be used "in an actual emergency". People were seated as far away from each other as possible, mostly in window seats unless they were a couple (it was an E195). The FA came around to check seatbelts before takeoff, and the next time I saw them was before landing for that check again.

Before landing they announced that there would be a rubbish cart by the exit and asked if you would bring your trash with you. The FA was the other side of the cart and the door to the cockpit was not opened at all for the entire time I was on board. I'm not criticising the crew - I was very grateful that I was able to get home with less than 12 hours notice.

DUB was even weirder. I saw perhaps 10 people total when I left baggage reclaim in T1. T2 was a complete ghost town (I could only hear my own footsteps).
Fabo.sk and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
What a strange experience that must have been. Just two months ago, scenes like that would have been unimaginable. Things have developed at a breakneck speed. Hopefully the same speed will apply to the development of the much needed vaccine, because as long as one country has this virus, all countries will remain vulnerable.
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 6:51 pm

I see that the seatmap for jfk-ams on the 780 is 2-1-2 - it's normally 3-3-3. The rows near the galleys seem to be blocked.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 11:31 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
That's odd, why wouldnt it be 2-2-2? Also, seat blocking seems to be not the case for short-haul, at least not the routes/dates I checked (B737).
Old Apr 19, 2020, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I see that the seatmap for jfk-ams on the 780 is 2-1-2 - it's normally 3-3-3.
Because all the aisle seats have been blocked. That leaves each row with a window and a middle seat, a middle seats, and a middle and a window seat.

Johan
Old Apr 19, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: FB plat for life
that is weird though - to allow sufficient spacing you would expect window= (open middle) - aisle - (open aisle) - middle - (open aisle) - aisle - (open middle) -window
Old Apr 19, 2020, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pjhartog
that is weird though - to allow sufficient spacing you would expect window= (open middle) - aisle - (open aisle) - middle - (open aisle) - aisle - (open middle) -window
It is weird, but the reason is that KL has decided that instead of keeping its paying customers separated, is is more important to keep these passengers separated from the crew (who only appear in the cabin before departure and arrival for a seatbelt check and spend the rest of the time in the galley or crew rest area).

As far as I know, all other airlines that have increased separation have done so by keeping middle seats free. KL is the odd man out.

Johan
Old Apr 20, 2020, 1:35 am

Programs: FB plat for life
Originally Posted by johan rebel
It is weird, but the reason is that KL has decided that instead of keeping its paying customers separated, is is more important to keep these passengers separated from the crew (who only appear in the cabin before departure and arrival for a seatbelt check and spend the rest of the time in the galley or crew rest area).

As far as I know, all other airlines that have increased separation have done so by keeping middle seats free. KL is the odd man out.

Johan
all due to the unions then, I guess
Old Apr 20, 2020, 4:24 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
So people are seated AB and C is left open for the crew that passes through the cabin? What ridiculous thing is that?
Better to protect the 5 crew who likely wont leave their seat anyway, than the rest of the 200+ pax?!

If they wanna play that game it should be an easy 1-1-1 config. Always at least a seat between pax, other pax, and crew.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
So people are seated AB and C is left open for the crew that passes through the cabin? What ridiculous thing is that?
Better to protect the 5 crew who likely wont leave their seat anyway, than the rest of the 200+ pax?!

If they wanna play that game it should be an easy 1-1-1 config. Always at least a seat between pax, other pax, and crew.
Many people fly with family. From seats occupied it seems like people are spaced out. If you can't protect the crew the flight would need to be cancelled frequently as few are willing to fly. Also, there aren't many pax on these flights.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If you can't protect the crew the flight would need to be cancelled frequently as few are willing to fly.
With KL's schedule reduced to a shadow of its former self, they have far more crew than they need. I assume that those who are scheduled for a flight have an obligation to come to work, unless they have a legitimate reason not to. I'm not sure whether corona anxiety qualifies. But even if 75% of their FAs and pilots would refuse to fly, they would still have plenty enough.

Johan
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pjhartog
all due to the unions then, I guess
No prize for getting that one right!

The unions actually tried to force KL to drop JFK completely, but did not succeed.

Johan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.