Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In-flight Catering Drastically Pared Back

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2020, 1:33 am

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by psollitt
so what the odds the they never bring back alcohol in economy ?
I world say zero chance, their website states that alcohol is back on the 18th. Also remember alcohol is not expensive for KLM. In NL alcohol is cheap and Heineken often sells for cheaper than Coca Cola.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Bigger concern should be crews’ unwillingness to do more than the bare minimum. After first run with boxes and maybe one drink service they retreat in the galley and don’t check on Business passengers. In the best of times KL crews weren’t known for proactive service and I recall searching for anyone to get me a water on SIN DPS WBC flight for 15 minutes around the aircraft because no one was responding to call button. This new normal will become the new reality of disengaged and disinterested crews.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I’ve had mostly attentive and great crews. I guess the experience varies.
Gajan and Goldorak like this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 2:04 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by NLNO
Also remember alcohol is not expensive for KLM. In NL alcohol is cheap and Heineken often sells for cheaper than Coca Cola.
Keep in mind that for many flights no taxes are due on alcohol either. Since taxes can be a huge part of the price of alcohol that can make a big difference.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Any reports on updated service in Business for adult beverages? Particularly for intra European flights.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asnovici
Any reports on updated service in Business for adult beverages? Particularly for intra European flights.
I asked an FA on my flight today. The beverage service in coach and Business on shorthaul flights is back to normal, i.e. the same choice as in pre-pandemic days. She mentioned that they had been getting a lot of complaints, especially i J longhaul.

Johan
asnovici, Carel1 and Thysk like this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

CPH-AMS. Not quite what it used to be, but really not all that bad. I do wish they would stop serving breakfast at 12.30 p.m., but that's not a C-19 related issue.

Johan
Thysk and Solevita like this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caliform
I’ve had mostly attentive and great crews.
OK, I admit it. In 60+ years of flying I've never been fawned over by the FAs as I was this afternoon.

Not only was there a welcome card at my seat, but both the purser and the FA serving the cabin bent over backwards. I must have been welcomed back and thanked for flying KLM at least half a dozen times, and asked at least as often whether there was anything else they could do for me, or anything else I wanted. Having finished my meal, they even asked if they could get me a sandwich from coach. No question of hiding in the galley, both were more than happy to chat about such things as face masks (a pain, but not in the behind), load factors (overbooked NBO-AMS flights, completely full flights to GRU), and so forth.

Johan
asnovici, psollitt, Gajan and 9 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I asked an FA on my flight today. The beverage service in coach and Business on shorthaul flights is back to normal, i.e. the same choice as in pre-pandemic days. She mentioned that they had been getting a lot of complaints, especially i J longhaul.

Johan
Thank you for the update! Does Business intra European include champagne or sparkling wine?
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:14 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
completely full flights to GRU), and so forth.
Hm, Expertflyer shows wide open flights, even at short notice, and the price is very low (800-odd for a return outbound tonight and back on Sunday), so I don't know where the full flights to GRU are.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
OK, I admit it. In 60+ years of flying I've never been fawned over by the FAs as I was this afternoon.

Not only was there a welcome card at my seat, but both the purser and the FA serving the cabin bent over backwards. I must have been welcomed back and thanked for flying KLM at least half a dozen times, and asked at least as often whether there was anything else they could do for me, or anything else I wanted. Having finished my meal, they even asked if they could get me a sandwich from coach. No question of hiding in the galley, both were more than happy to chat about such things as face masks (a pain, but not in the behind), load factors (overbooked NBO-AMS flights, completely full flights to GRU), and so forth.

Johan
Do you think this is the exception that makes the rule, or will this be the new KLM? Anyway, hapy to hear that you've had a pleasant flight
Old Jul 23, 2020, 4:11 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by asnovici
Thank you for the update! Does Business intra European include champagne or sparkling wine?
Cava, champagne is only given on long-haul flights. Last time I flew EBC, it was Codorniu Classico Brut. I would not go out of my way to drink that ;-)

https://www.ah.nl/producten/product/...u-clasico-brut
Old Jul 23, 2020, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfkne
Hm, Expertflyer shows wide open flights, even at short notice, and the price is very low (800-odd for a return outbound tonight and back on Sunday), so I don't know where the full flights to GRU are.
I can't tell ya, just reporting what I was told. The FA I spoke to yesterday specifically mentioned a full flight AMS-GRU sometime last week. She was not working that flight herself, but her husband was.

Johan
Old Jul 23, 2020, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thysk
Do you think this is the exception that makes the rule, or will this be the new KLM? Anyway, hapy to hear that you've had a pleasant flight
Thanks. For only an hour in the air it was pretty impressive. Only one other pax in J, and as far as I could tell he did not get a card, but most certainly less attention.

Future flights will tell what the new KLM will be like. The FAs yesterday were genuinely friendly, and went way out of their way to please. On the other hand, my cynical side tells me that with the sword of Damocles hanging over their collective heads, the FAs have every reason to treat passengers really well and encourage repeat custom in every which way they can.

As an aside, the load factor was not half bad: 97 pax in a 738 comes to 52%, and the incoming flight had 143 pax (77%).

Johan
Thysk likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: DL DM, National Executive, SPG Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
Will be flying JFK-AMS this week... just received an email from KLM "What to Expect When Traveling With KLM this Week"

Looks like JFK-AMS is receiving hot meals now?
"KLM serves hot meals on all intercontinental flights"

Another group I'm in also shows hot catering from AMS-JFK as recently as this week.

"Simplified onboard catering service
The following measures have been taken to limit physical contact between passengers and crew:
• On European flights, KLM serves a box with breakfast, lunch or dinner in Business Class depending on the time of day. In Economy Class, you will receive a box with a sandwich.
• KLM serves hot meals on all intercontinental flights. In addition, customers receive a bag with snacks, fruit and drinks.
• We regret you cannot order any special meals at this time.
• Cold drinks are served during the service and coffee and tea are available on request.
• It is not allowed to consume alcoholic beverages brought on board.
• Please note that food & beverage shops on some airports may be closed."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.