Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: b12e
Status as of 23 APR 24:

B787-10 Aircraft confirmed having PE seats installed:
  • All B78X should now have the new PE seats
  • Completed: PH-BKA, PH-BKC, PH-BKD, PH-BKF, PH-BKG, PH-BKH, PH-BKI, PH-BKK, PH-BKL, PH-BLM
  • Seat map for the 787-10 including the new PE cabin: https://www.aerolopa.com/kl-781-3cl

B787-9 aircraft confirmed having PE seats installed:
  • All B789 should now have the new PE seats
  • Completed: PH-BHA, PH-BHC, PH-BHD, PH-BHE, PH-BHF, PH-BHG, PH-BHH, PH-BHI, PH-BHL, PH-BHM, PH-BHN, PH-BHO, PH-BHP
  • Seat map for the 787-9 including the new PE cabin: https://www.aerolopa.com/kl-789-3cl

B777-300 aircraft confirmed having new business class and PE seats installed:
  • Converted: PH-BVA, PH-BVB, PH-BVC, PH-BVD, PH-BVF, PH-BVG, PH-BVI, PH-BVK, PH-BVN, PH-BVO, PH-BVP, PH-BVR, PH-BVS, PH-BVV, PH-BVW
  • Seat map for the 777-300ER including the new WBC and PE cabins: https://www.aerolopa.com/kl-773-3cl
B777-300 Still to be retrofit with the new PE and Business seats:
  • PH-BVU

B777-200 aircraft confirmed having new business class and PE seats installed (out of 15 total):B777-200 still to be retrofit with the new PE and Business seats:
  • PH-BQA
  • PH-BQB
  • PH-BQC
  • PH-BQD
  • PH-BQE
  • PH-BQF
  • PH-BQG
  • PH-BQH - Currently under modification
  • PH-BQI
  • PH-BQK
  • PH-BQL
  • PH-BQM
  • PH-BQN
  • PH-BQO
  • PH-BQP
Print Wikipost

KLM to introduce 'real' premium economy

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2022, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
And also from KLM:

https://nieuws.klm.com/download/1179...tsheet-v10.pdf
Old May 27, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Those headsets must be terrible since they cancel the "noice".
johan rebel and Solevita like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfkne
Those headsets must be terrible since they cancel the "noice".
And 40 years ago to boot. I guess that means KLM was the first to come up with cancel culture.

Johan
Solevita likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 10:43 pm

I think it seems to be a great product. The seat looks more like the old WBC like it was in the MD-11 back in the day and all aspects of the cabin are upgraded compared to regular Y. I think they might have one of the best W products in the market with this set up. Now let’s see what the price is. I expect it to be at the same level as AF W. Let’s see.
Old May 27, 2022, 11:48 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by BobTL
I think it seems to be a great product. The seat looks more like the old WBC like it was in the MD-11 back in the day and all aspects of the cabin are upgraded compared to regular Y. I think they might have one of the best W products in the market with this set up. Now let’s see what the price is. I expect it to be at the same level as AF W. Let’s see.
Looking at the photos this looks like the current Delta Premium Select seats - which is indeed good the to a certain extend the price-quality ratio. I expect to see this cabin going for more or less the same pricing as what Delta is charging for the US markets.
For other destinations, am curious how they are going to price them - as so far BA seems to be one of the one with some reasonably price (quite often) to pay up for this in-between cabin with their also rather reasonable seat and service.

Cheers!
Old May 28, 2022, 3:51 am

Does it mean they are removing wines and liquors from economy? Those are now listed only under premium economy.
Old May 28, 2022, 6:19 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by bennos
It will be interesting to see what model KLM takes for the W cabin. AF uses a smaller cabin of around 3 rows that is really just an extension of the main Y cabin. (Service is provided by the Y FAs, and is basically the Y service.) VS and DL have larger cabins (typically 6-7 rows) with dedicated FAs and dedicated W catering. Given the increased competition in the W market over the past few years, I would argue an AF style cabin will result in an uncompetitive product, even in comparison to the JV partners.
Based on the insideflyer post, it looks like the W cabin will be 3 or 4 (787-10) rows of 2-3-2 (787) or 2-4-2 (777), which puts these cabins on the smaller side and on par with AF, but with enhanced catering. So comparing the TATL partners, you get
  • AF: Smaller cabin, Y service getting upgrade to W catering apparently
  • DL: Larger cabin, W service if they go back to pre-COVID standards, Y otherwise
  • KL: Smaller cabin, W catering probably with Y service
  • VS: Larger cabin, W service
It's unclear from the post if KL will assign dedicated FAs to the W cabin, but I'm guessing not or they'd mention it. (It's not impossible, DL assigns dedicated FAs to its F cabins on domestic flights, which can have as few as 16 seats.) That said, it does look like there will be some alignment between AF and KL (intentional or not).
Old May 28, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: FB
Originally Posted by smartytravel
Does it mean they are removing wines and liquors from economy? Those are now listed only under premium economy.
KLM already doesn't serve liquors anymore in Y.
No Gin&Tonic on all my flights, except when they are super nice and bring it from C. But this times are over since the flights got more load "after" CoVid.
Old May 28, 2022, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bennos
It's unclear from the post if KL will assign dedicated FAs to the W cabin.
One thing is for sure, the cabin crew unions will want a say in the matter. In recent years there have been big rows about reducing the number of FAs on longhaul flights and making (senior) pursers work for a living.

Johan
Old May 28, 2022, 1:17 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Photos from the sneak preview

Hi all,

I was at the Dutch Open today and visited the exhibit of the new "Premium Comfort" seat - it's very similar to the one from Delta's Premium Select. Some small differences
- the armrest can be lowered (it contains the tray table)
- the location of the USB and electrical outlet is different
- serving (china) plasticware instead of real chinaware on Delta
- pillow, blanket and headphones are the same as WBC

The KLM crew working and promoting the new seat was very proud of the seat. I only could not find out if the design is by Marcel Wanders or not - as the crew did not know. However the design is mainly to reflect that you're experiencing the Dutch culture/concept.
I was told that the pricing would be 2x compared to Economy - which I hope baseline is the average Economy price.

Here's some photo from this intro during the Dutch open.

Old May 28, 2022, 2:10 pm

Thank you for sharing those pictures.

The 2x economy fare makes sense (based on other airlines).

I’d be curious to see what OLCI upgrade prices will be from (i) “Economy” to “Premium Economy”, and (ii) from “Economy” to “Business”. How does the second option currently work in the case of AF? I hardly fly AF long-haul, I’m assuming it’s not possible during OLCI directly? Assuming you’d need to upgrade from Y to W, and then from W to C if there is availability via the reservations line or at the check-in desk, I might be wrong as I haven’t done this before.
Old May 28, 2022, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Escape
Thank you for sharing those pictures.

The 2x economy fare makes sense (based on other airlines).

I’d be curious to see what OLCI upgrade prices will be from (i) “Economy” to “Premium Economy”, and (ii) from “Economy” to “Business”. How does the second option currently work in the case of AF? I hardly fly AF long-haul, I’m assuming it’s not possible during OLCI directly? Assuming you’d need to upgrade from Y to W, and then from W to C if there is availability via the reservations line or at the check-in desk, I might be wrong as I haven’t done this before.
Sure when seats are available in both W and J you get an offer on both, also both in cash and miles or a combination of cash and miles.
Escape likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nldogbert
the design is mainly to reflect that you're experiencing the Dutch culture/concept.
And that's what, exactly?

Looks nice enough, but all I see in the pictures is lots of KLM blue, and that's Dutch culture twice removed at best.

What was hidden in that paper napkin, by the way? Wooden Greta cutlery? And what was on the menu?

Johan
Old May 28, 2022, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I'm curious for the pricing. It looks nice noice for PE, nothing crazy, but a step up from Economy Comfort. I'd probably see my company allowing booking these (current policy is Eco Comfort) if the price is right. Doubling the cost of the economy fare though (which some airlines seem to be doing for PE) probably won’t fly though (quite literally).
Old May 29, 2022, 12:11 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
B78X - Seat map adjusted to JFK

From what I can see pulling up a flight to JFK for late July, EC starts at row 17 (compared to row 10 now).

It’s a pity you can’t find the KL seat map online anymore (on their website).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.