Checking bags through on separate tickets

Old Feb 19, 20, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond
Checking bags through on separate tickets

I booked separate tickets from IAD to ZRH on KLM. It was $1600 to buy the trip on one ticket, but only $650 to buy IAD-AMS-IAD. I then purchased AMS-ZRH-AMS for about 110. Will KLM be able to check my bag all the way through from IAD to ZRH and back? I only have about 2 hours in AMS between the flights on both ends, so it would be tight to claim and re-check my bag.
Old Feb 19, 20, 7:09 am

Will they be able to? Yes, will they do it? that's a different question.
What will you do if they don't? And even if they do, what will happen if your IAD-AMS flight is delayed, or on the return your ZRH-AMS one?
Old Feb 19, 20, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
Will they be able to? Yes, will they do it? that's a different question.
What will you do if they don't? And even if they do, what will happen if your IAD-AMS flight is delayed, or on the return your ZRH-AMS one?
If they won't through-check the bag, then obviously I will have to claim it in AMS and re-check it.

Was hoping for some real-world experience here.
stefan_ likes this.
Old Feb 19, 20, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey View Post
If they won't through-check the bag, then obviously I will have to claim it in AMS and re-check it.

KL doesn't have an official policy regarding checking bags on separate PNRs, in theory there should be no reason why they wouldn't do it (assuming of course you have luggage allowance on both tickets), but they also have no obligation to so it's at your own risk.

so it would be tight to claim and re-check my bag.
It won't be tight, it would practically be impossible, your bag could easily take 45-50min to be delivered on the belt, which leaves you 10-15 minutes to check-in your bag on the return flight, and that's assuming on-time arrival.
Old Feb 19, 20, 10:06 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Marriott silver, Hilton
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
It won't be tight, it would practically be impossible, your bag could easily take 45-50min to be delivered on the belt, which leaves you 10-15 minutes to check-in your bag on the return flight, and that's assuming on-time arrival.
What about immigration as well as passport check and security upon leaving Schengen area?

You are definitely right. It looks impossible!
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 20, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
With only two hours, I would say this is pretty much impossible. (You may get lucky.) AMS is a big place, and the Polderbaan runway is far from the terminal. You could easily be taxiing for 15 minutes before you get to your gate. At that point you'll need to clear immigration (if not on a EU passport this could take a bit longer), and then wait for luggage. This can take ages, in my experience. Then you need to check it in again (keeping to time compliance) and then go through security and get to your gate in time for boarding. If you are on time, I give you 50/50 at best. If you are more than 20 minutes late, forget it.

Then what happens? Probably you'll have to buy a new AMS-ZRH return ticket (not a big deal and probably not that expensive.). But if your timing is the same on the return, a one-way back to the US could get expensive.

Of course they may check it through for you, but that's not much of a chance I'd like to take.
irishguy28 and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Feb 19, 20, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA

Real life experience: by buying separate tickets you are excluding yourself from the right to have your bags interlined.

No longer possible to check bags through on two separate PNRs from AMS?
KLM to KLM Interline baggage - 2 separate tickets
Checking bag on separate tickets

Real life advice: either book all travel on one ticket, or allow sufficient time between tickets to cope with any and all possible eventualities - late flights; delayed luggage; missing luggage; immigration/security delays.
If you have to collect your bag at AMS, go landside, and check it in again, if you miss the check-in cutoff of that second ticket for whatever reason, you will likely lose all value of the ticket
Old Feb 19, 20, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Real life experience: by buying separate tickets you are excluding yourself from the right to have your bags interlined.

No longer possible to check bags through on two separate PNRs from AMS?
KLM to KLM Interline baggage - 2 separate tickets
Checking bag on separate tickets

Real life advice: either book all travel on one ticket, or allow sufficient time between tickets to cope with any and all possible eventualities - late flights; delayed luggage; missing luggage; immigration/security delays.
If you have to collect your bag at AMS, go landside, and check it in again, if you miss the check-in cutoff of that second ticket for whatever reason, you will likely lose all value of the ticket
Just to be clear, all the flights are on KLM so the bag wouldn't be interlined (that term applies to transferring bags between different airlines). Looks like I have 2 hours 25 minutes for each transfer at AMS. Obviously flight delays and bag wait times are variables outside my control, but I'm prepared to deal with the consequences if I don't catch any breaks in either direction. Will report back how it works out.
Old Feb 19, 20, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to be clear, all the flights are on KLM so the bag wouldn't be interlined (that term applies to transferring bags between different airlines). Looks like I have 2 hours 25 minutes for each transfer at AMS. Obviously flight delays and bag wait times are variables outside my control, but I'm prepared to deal with the consequences if I don't catch any breaks in either direction. Will report back how it works out.
I'm not as familiar with the current situation at KLM as I am at BA, but the latter WILL NOT check bags through on separate tickets where both are BA flights. Just so you know.
Old Feb 19, 20, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I'm not as familiar with the current situation at KLM as I am at BA, but the latter WILL NOT check bags through on separate tickets where both are BA flights. Just so you know.
Interesting, hopefully KLM is more flexible but I'll find out soon enough. Do you know by chance if UK passport holders can use the e-Gates at AMS immigration (at least for the remainder of 2020)? The Schiphol website says you must hold an EU passport, so perhaps not anymore. That has saved time in the past.
Old Feb 19, 20, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting, hopefully KLM is more flexible but I'll find out soon enough. Do you know by chance if UK passport holders can use the e-Gates at AMS immigration (at least for the remainder of 2020)? The Schiphol website says you must hold an EU passport, so perhaps not anymore. That has saved time in the past.
If you have a UK passport, you will effectively be treated as an EU citizen for the remainder of 2020, so yes. And you can use the EU queue. The real problem in AMS is luggage delivery.
Old Feb 19, 20, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Just to be clear, all the flights are on KLM so the bag wouldn't be interlined (that term applies to transferring bags between different airlines).
And just to be clear, you have no guarantee that KLM will check a bag through onto a second ticket. A bag is only guaranteed to be checked through when you check it in on an interline ticket (which doesn't have to involve a separate, second airline - it just requires a subsequent flight).

When buying separate tickets, you have to plan accordingly, and allow sufficient time in between so that you easily make your next flight. This means maximising the transfer, rather than operating on the same margins as if you have an interline or through ticket.

If you booked the AMS-ZRH-AMS ticket in the past 24 hours directly from KLM rather than via a third party, you can cancel for free. I would advise giving yourself more time - choose different flights.

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 19, 20 at 11:31 am
Old Feb 19, 20, 4:24 pm

Last time I flew KLM on separate tickets - late last year - my bag WAS checked through.... which came as a pleasant surprise as I wasn't expecting it. I asked on the off-chance, and got a "yes" and even a new boarding pass with both flights on it. This was at YUL, and the check-in agent was probably one of the nicest ones I've ever come across.

So - yes, they can do it if they want to, but I wouldn't rely on it.
Old Feb 19, 20, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
KL is more flexible than BA and would normally check the bags through even on separate tickets but, as irishguy28 rightly points out, there is neither entitlement nor guarantee that they will actually do it and, if they don't. you are on your own with no recourse. Ultimately, it is a question of one's appetite for risk. Personally, I would not risk such a connection on separate tickets with hold luggage but others with stronger nerves than me might be willing to do it.
Old Feb 20, 20, 12:25 am

Flew HNL-LAX on one ticket(Delta) and LAX-AMS(KLM) on another ticket and was able to check backs through. Agent had some trouble doing it but it was possible.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: