Wiki Posts
Search

HV to charge for guaranteed hand luggage space

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

HV to charge for guaranteed hand luggage space

Luchtvaartnieuws reports that starting March 30th HV pax may opt to pay between €5 and €15 (depending on destination, I suppose) for the privilege of boarding first and storing their hand luggage in the overhead bins. Other pax may still bring bags, but these may be sent to the hold if there's not enough space. Rules will be enforced strictly, the airline says.

Johan
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:28 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Good news! With everyone bringing trolley's rather than (paid) checked luggage, on some flights the overhead space comes at a premium. I wonder how long it will take before it comes to KLM!
irishguy28 and Squerez like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gajan
I wonder how long it will take before it comes to KLM!
That hand luggage stowing circus is extremely annoying, if only because of all the departure delays is causes.

KLM could start by enforcing its existing rules strictly and consistently. Sending all oversize roller bags to the hold would largely solve the problem.

Johan
Thysk and Squerez like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Gajan
Good news! With everyone bringing trolley's rather than (paid) checked luggage, on some flights the overhead space comes at a premium. I wonder how long it will take before it comes to KLM!
Originally Posted by johan rebel
That hand luggage stowing circus is extremely annoying, if only because of all the departure delays is causes.

KLM could start by enforcing its existing rules strictly and consistently. Sending all oversize roller bags to the hold would largely solve the problem.

Johan
I tend to agree, but as I said a hundred times to AFKL, if you want to encourage people to check bags, you need to accelerate the delivery time on the carrousel. Do like DL in the US : walking from plane to baggage claim, the bags are already on belt. In Europe, it’s ridiculous. How often do you wait 30 min for the 1st bag to appear ? Very often. People do not check bags sometimes because of fees, but very often because they do not want to wait forever on arrival.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Originally Posted by johan rebel

Johan
Except for Plats/Ulti's .

Actually, it would indeed be nice if all airlines would just enforce the rules they set themselves.
Or, include a suitcase again in the ticket, so fewer people try to stuff everything into "hand luggage".
Carel1 likes this.

Last edited by Thysk; Feb 12, 2020 at 3:55 pm
Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:31 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
I would pay for it in summer on a day you know it is going to be a full flight. And then board as last... see how they are going to deal with that. ‘Guaranteed’

I as a plat have been ‘forced’ to check my hand luggage in numerous times when I boarded late.
Squerez likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:30 am

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7ľł © ™
Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
I would pay for it in summer on a day you know it is going to be a full flight. And then board as last... see how they are going to deal with that. ‘Guaranteed’

I as a plat have been ‘forced’ to check my hand luggage in numerous times when I boarded late.

Its a package, you board first and the overheads will be empty, guaranteed
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
How's this going to work for KLM codeshares and all the status people? It sounds more like Spirit Airlines than anything.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
How's this going to work for KLM codeshares and all the status people? It sounds more like Spirit Airlines than anything.
I hardly see the relevance, HV have their own hand luggage rules which apply irrespective of whether it's a code-share or you have status with FB/ST.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

The "guaranteed" is because you are paying to board first - so space is guaranteed to be available on board at that time.

If you waive that right, which you paid for, then you forfeit its benefits. They won't pause boarding until all who paid for Priority Boarding are onboard - your responsibility is to present yourself on time to avail of that benefit.

For instance, a business class ticket comes with lounge access - but if you arrive late and are the last to board, you can't then demand your "guaranteed" lounge access....you left it far too late.

I would advise you not to waste your money if this is what you want to do!

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 13, 2020 at 2:37 am
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:51 am

Programs: Flying Blue
it more about the term guaranteed.. that is a term which should not be used in ‘airline’ world.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it more about the term guaranteed.. that is a term which should not be used in ‘airline’ world.
Let's see if Transavia uses the word, then.

So far, only third parties have spoken about this - Transavia themselves have said nothing in public!
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Will the paid early boarders board before or after FB and SkyTeam elites?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: FBGOLD
No FB benefits on HV anyway...
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Will the paid early boarders board before or after FB and SkyTeam elites?
You've clearly never flown HV before

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.