KLM codeshare operated by Etihad - no seat selection?

Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM
KLM codeshare operated by Etihad - no seat selection?

I purchased a ticket through KLM to Europe and on to the UAE.
One of the flights is operated by Etihad and when I tried to select seats, even called Etihad, I was advised that Eithad doesn't allow seat selection if ticket is issued by KLM, which is very dissappointing and I wish I had known this before but just never thought this could be the case.
Not even online check-in is available, seats will only be assigned with what is left over at the airport.

Is there anyway to do a seat selection or am I out of luck?
I did just purchse the tickets today and I believe I have 24 hours to cancel without penalty which I might do and rebook with the KL flight from AUH.
Just wanted to check here first if someone has any wisdom or solution.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:22 am

I'm in the same boat on CX from MNL to HKG, frustrating indeed.
I've tried many ways to access seat selection, but it seems that seat selection AND check-in at the airport is the only option.
Because of this, we'll also very likely miss out on the OLCI upgrade offers for the HKG-AMS flight, which is what really annoys me.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MileageRunner68
I'm in the same boat on CX from MNL to HKG, frustrating indeed.
I've tried many ways to access seat selection, but it seems that seat selection AND check-in at the airport is the only option.
Because of this, we'll also very likely miss out on the OLCI upgrade offers for the HKG-AMS flight, which is what really annoys me.
There seems to be no way to select seats which is really strange and I haven't seen this with any other airline/codeshare flight.
If it was a shorter flight I wouldn't mind but for 7 hours, maybe being stuck somewhere in the middle and also separated from my son is not something I want to do.
Since I am still within the 24 hour period, I have asked them to rebook me on the KLM flight from Abu Dhabi to Amsterdam which leaves at 2:10am but at least I can choose seats in advance.
It's been a very, very slow process to get this done though and it's a little disappointing.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
There seems to be no way to select seats which is really strange and I haven't seen this with any other airline/codeshare flight.
You were lucky to have never encountered this situation before, because it is extremely common with code-shares, even with airlines within the same alliance.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
You were lucky to have never encountered this situation before, because it is extremely common with code-shares, even with airlines within the same alliance.
I think nowadays it is so common to choose your seats that I just didn't even think that this could be the case but I see why it happens.
I honestly only have experience with partner airlines within the Star Alliance where I've never had any problems reserving seats in advance as long as I have the airline's reservation number as well but it's good to know that it is still very common that this can be the case.

If it had been a short flight I really wouldn't have mind at all but in this case, especially since traveling with my son, I wanted to make sure we can still get reasonable seats and sitting together.

I called KLM and they actually switched us to their own flight at no additional cost since we were within the 24 hour period and there was no fare difference. We only choose Etihad originally because we liked their flight schedule better, departing at 9:30am versus 2:10am (KLM) but that is not a big issue and we prefer the A330 anyway over the 777.
It all worked out and it's all good, most of all learnt something new and will be more careful next time when booking codeshare flights.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:22 am

Anyone know when KLM is resuming AUH?
Old Jan 31, 2022, 8:16 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by deltatrav
Anyone know when KLM is resuming AUH?
I am checking since one year , so far no news yet , it seems it wont be in near future , cause meanwhile they even added extra rotations to DXB trough KSA or BAH with their a330

When the UAE railway will be completed , i wont need to worry anymore about whether or not KL want to fly to AUH or not and i could enjoy better prices due to high competition

meanwhile W6 is flying from AUH to southern/eastern europe and they are adding new routes
Old Jan 31, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, AccorLiveLimitless Platinum, Qatar Airways Gold
KLM keeps scheduling it in, in the new season. But then cancels it a month before it starts. Last week Monday I had booked AMS-AUH for begin April but on Thursday it got cancelled and removed from the full summer schedule.

With 2-3 daily flight to DXB you would think they could move one of those to AUH. Or at least give a bit better choices of departure time ex DXB (now 1:55am, 3:55am and 6:05am).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.