Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best days for Business Class availability at check-in?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental, American
Best days for Business Class availability at check-in?

Hello all... This year I will be traveling between Houston, and Bergen, Norway via AMS on a regular basis, once a month. I am recently retired, and so I will be paying for it, and am free to choose whatever days work best for me. I have noticed that I am often offered an upgrade to Business Class when that cabin is not full. The cost is reasonable to me. So my question to anyone who flies this route regularly, are there better days when there is more availability, hence a better chance for me to score these upgrades? I've learned that Sunday is not one of those days. Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I had a contract with the blue airline where I could buy upgrades for a certain amount on flights on tues, wed and thursdays. The lower occupied days.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
I had a contract with the blue airline where I could buy upgrades for a certain amount on flights on tues, wed and thursdays. The lower occupied days.
Hi Meneer... thank you for your reply. May I ask about the "contract"? I am not savvy enough I guess to know what that is, or how one is obtained. My current (soon to be previous) alliance is with UA, but getting from IAH to BGO with UA is always a nightmare because of connections, and baggage reclaim, so I figured I'd switch to KLM as I can check my bags all the way through.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp
May I ask about the "contract"? I am not savvy enough I guess to know what that is, or how one is obtained.
I suspect this was a corporate contract arranged by the employer. KLM won't go into such contracts with individuals.

And I don't think the suggestion was that you should get yourself such a contract - but rather, the poster was showing you which days are typically "quieter".

Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp
My current (soon to be previous) alliance is with UA, but getting from IAH to BGO with UA is always a nightmare because of connections, and baggage reclaim, so I figured I'd switch to KLM as I can check my bags all the way through.
why couldn't you check your bag all the way through with United? It appears you may have been travelling on separate tickets - but there's no obvious reason why.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks Irishguy28...

I can check luggage all the way through on UA/SAS on one ticket, but that usually means connections via CPH, or OSL, and often times EWR. With KLM, it is just simple to fly IAH-AMS-BGO. I have not found any better routing than this, but if anyone has a better route, I'd like to hear of it.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:00 am

I suspect it would also depend on holidays, trade shows, fare sales, etc. on both sides of the Atlantic. I suggest getting an expertflyer subscription so you can gauge loads. I would also ask advice from check-in staff or at the ticket desk at IAH (e.g. when buying the upgrade). If you will fly monthly you will get to know some of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.