Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where in the world am I? | 2020 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: FB Petroleum
Ok, so photo of arrival:

Additional hints in general: So I know, picture quality is bad = due to it was actually strictly forbidden to make pictures, hence done while walking.
  • From the window we see sand & mountains.
  • Take off and landing is at a very steep rate
  • No direct flight from AMS, but first leg of the route is KL0427 (Then and now...)
  • I'm looking at my tickets now, and although the second flightnumber really has a KL flight number, it also states the following:
"EU Blacklisted airline
Your travel itinerary includes an airline(s) that is banned by the European Union, we cannot take any responsibility. "
  • The route (AMS-XXX-XXX) has been taken over by others, i.e. star alliance, and is fairly popular for what i've heard.

Hints regarding MichielR's post:
  • The UN is good line of thinking. The mi-8's are used by multiple parties: UNxxx, WFP, etc, hence lacking signage. The antonovs have other usage.
  • Russia is too far north, africa too far south. Cental/South Asia is the correct one actually.

Good luck again
MichielR likes this.

Last edited by RobertMRS; Jun 12, 2022 at 3:35 am Reason: Layout/reading
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:37 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by RobertMRS
  • The UN is good line of thinking. The mi-8's are used by multiple parties: UNxxx, WFP, etc, hence lacking signage. The antonovs have other usage.
  • Russia is too far north, africa too far south. Cental/South Asia is the correct one actually.
Good luck again
ASG or DYU ?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by fifty_two
ASG or DYU ?
Nope. Though DYU is within the 1000 mile range
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:55 am

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
JIB maybe?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:57 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Edit: Was searching for too long and missed a bunch of new replies to this thread

Edit2: Those AN-72's are fully white, seem to be UN. Could this actually be Kabul? I believe Kabul is known for the steep landing as well (Though not necessarily to avoid mountains..). And flights into KBL seem to operate mainly from Dubai.

Last edited by Xandrios; Jun 12, 2022 at 4:29 am
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Edit: Was searching for too long and missed a bunch of new replies to this thread

Edit2: Those AN-72's are fully white, seem to be UN. Could this actually be Kabul? I believe Kabul is known for the steep landing as well (Though not necessarily to avoid mountains..). And flights into KBL seem to operate mainly from Dubai.
Wow! the AN72 is/was actually government. but Kabul is indeed correct!
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:06 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
yeah i was about to say KBL but i was waiting for feedback
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:10 am

Awesome. From the people I've talked to flying into Kabul its been a nerve-wrecking experience. That's more recent than 10y ago though, perhaps things were different back then.

I don't have too many pictures left... Let's try this one. The people on the hydrafoil have their luggage already checked through to AMS (among others). Where am I and what Airport are we 'flying' into?

MichielR likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:03 am

Isn't that second las vegas, where they speak portuguese? so Macao?
MichielR and atflyer like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:16 am

Winner winner chicken...feet dinner!
* After the fact that every dim sum place here serves chicken feet to nibble on. Its a thing.

That's right. It's the Hydrofoil service from Macau to HKG airport. You can check all your luggage at the port, and it will be automatically loaded onto your flight. I guess you can call an hydrofoil a sort of aircraft as well. It works based on the same principles at least... including them having a wing (below the surface)!
RobertMRS and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:36 am

Ok, nice
So I will post 2 pictures, as I guess either one of them would not be fair. This particular flight was not KL but AF, though KL flies here themselves as well. Success!!

Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Hello

This looks like MPL to me ??
MichielR likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Stanbury
Hello

This looks like MPL to me ??
It is indeed! Your turn
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Originally Posted by RobertMRS
It is indeed! Your turn
Thank you!

Confession time -- I have never yet posted an image into FlyerTalk so this may not work. If not I'll ask for help.

Okay -- this is an KLM and AF code share destination; neither flies there, though some years ago AF used to refuel here. They both codeshare with the same airline.

MichielR likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Stanbury
Thank you!

Confession time -- I have never yet posted an image into FlyerTalk so this may not work. If not I'll ask for help.

Okay -- this is an KLM and AF code share destination; neither flies there, though some years ago AF used to refuel here. They both codeshare with the same airline.

Gander ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.