Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Will tickets get any cheaper for July/August 2020? Or is it the time to buy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Hi, I am looking for flights for next July or August, but the prices are exorbitantly high in economy class.

Could anyone help me verify whether the prices will likely go down in the next months, or is it the time to buy?

Specifically, I am looking for the following flights departing on Saturday (in July or August) and returning 12 days after on Thursday, for instance outbound flights on July 18, 2020, with an inbound flight on July 30, 2020.

Outbound flights:
KL1362
KL569

Inbound flights:
KL566
KL1363
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:08 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
why not tracking them with google ?

also you can see the history of pricing now with google
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:13 am
Original Poster

I have, and the price has been fairly consistent, recently increased a bit. This is a multi-destination ticket, so there's no history of pricing in Google.

I was hoping someone could shed some light what to expect and whether to purchase now or still wait. I know that airlines try to sell more expensive classes first, isn't this the case?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I would never buy travel more than three months out, at most. Better two. No one can verify anything for you, except KLM’s revenue management department.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by smartytravel
Hi, I am looking for flights for next July or August, but the prices are exorbitantly high in economy class.

Could anyone help me verify whether the prices will likely go down in the next months, or is it the time to buy?

Specifically, I am looking for the following flights departing on Saturday (in July or August) and returning 12 days after on Thursday, for instance outbound flights on July 18, 2020, with an inbound flight on July 30, 2020.

Outbound flights:
KL1362
KL569

Inbound flights:
KL566
KL1363
What could help is that you tell us the destination instead of giving flight numbers and the price you have seen, so we can judge how "exorbitantly high" they are.
Keep in mind that you travel at a very busy period, so do not expect cheap fares in general.
The doomed likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
What could help is that you tell us the destination instead of giving flight numbers and the price you have seen, so we can judge how "exorbitantly high" they are.
Keep in mind that you travel at a very busy period, so do not expect cheap fares in general.
Here is the desired itinerary, all operated by KLM (joining some other family members flying from elsewhere).

Outbound: WAW-AMS-JRO, initial flight commences on July 18
Inbound: NBO-AMS-WAW, initial flight commences on July 30

The fares I have seen are between $1500-$1800, and more recently on the higher end. However, when I look for other periods, January, February, March, the fares are less than half that.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Here is the desired itinerary, all operated by KLM (joining some other family members flying from elsewhere).

Outbound: WAW-AMS-JRO, initial flight commences on July 18
Inbound: NBO-AMS-WAW, initial flight commences on July 30

The fares I have seen are between $1500-$1800, and more recently on the higher end. However, when I look for other periods, January, February, March, the fares are less than half that.
Thank you. Indeed, that's pricey for Y...
I have no personal exp on this routing and so other posters may have a better assessment than me. But, what comes to my mind to explain such a high price:
- summer period : always expensive due to all the vacations & VFR traffic
- KL has little competition to JRO. NBO offers more possibilities
- your itinerary is an open jaw but involving 2 different countries

Did you try to price a WAW-NBO-WAW via AMS (all KL or KL+KQ) or via CDG (all AF or AF+KQ) to see if it is cheaper and, if the case, just try to find a cheap NBO-JRO flight on KQ ?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

I had a quick look on AF and I found a round trip WAW-NBO on your exact dates for PLN 3131, that is EUR 737 (light fare).

Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:08 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Do ti as Goldorak says.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747jetter
Do ti as Goldorak says.
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I had a quick look on AF and I found a round trip WAW-NBO on your exact dates for PLN 3131, that is EUR 737 (light fare).
We are coordinating with other family members to be on the same flight from AMS to JRO and NBO to AMS. They are flying from the US, and they paid about $1550/pax.

Hence my question about specific KL flights. If this fails, we will likely get the same outbound flight, but a different inbound flight.

Is KQ a safe airline?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:30 pm

I have, and the price has been fairly consistent, recently increased a bit. This is a multi-destination ticket, so there's no history of pricing in Google.
it's not always 100% the case (depends on fare rules combinability), but often openjaw pricing is just taking 50% of the roundtrip fare for each leg

eg 50% of price for WAW-JRO roundtrip, and 50% price of WAW-NBO roundtrip

for that specific dates (7/18/20, 7/30/20), there is only fareclass U available due to married segment and fare availability

U class is 1547USD for WAW-JRO RT (take 50%) and 1306USD for WAW-NBO (take 50%), you end up with $1500 (taxes may differ)

pick your poison. which dates/flights you have to buy to meet people(expensive U fare), which dates you can be flexible to get a lower fare bucket. from what I can tell, the open-jaw leg segments are the limiting factor, AMS-WAW is wide open

if you return july29th instead, you get T availability, so it'll be USD1238 or 1211 (2 stop on return) (all on KLM/AF metal, no NQ). need to see if the ticket is bookable

Last edited by paperwastage; Jan 3, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Old Jan 4, 2020, 1:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue
JRO Will always be more expensive to fly to then NBO or DAR which are alternatives to JRO. Travelling in East Africa is expensive so always factor that in. NBO is the most convenient option compared to JRO but you will require an extra visa and more travel time. The Bus from NBO to Arusha or Moshi is cheapest
option. And is a nice drive. They leave from NBO hourly. But it will add half a day of travelling time.

please realize that JRO is more then a hour away from Arusha and Moshi. Both have local / regional airports with many connections locally around.

ZNZ is also an option but would replan your holiday to include the island.

KQ is fine but would opt for KL or AF metal if possible.

Leave from different airport is a good decision.

safari njema!
Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Is KQ a safe airline?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.