Somewhat Interesting One at GVA

Old Dec 23, 19, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Somewhat Interesting One at GVA

Last night (22 Dec 2019), I was booked on the last flight from GVA to AMS (KL1934), with the Holiday Inn Express Schiphol booked for the night before my onward trip to DUS the next day. All went well, we pushed back on time, but during the takeoff roll the captain abruptly aborted the takeoff. He later explained that he was unable to control the aircraft as it swayed from side to side and couldn't keep it in a straight line. It was raining heavily during takeoff and Suisse Romande had experienced high winds that day, but he was convinced there was a technical problem and taxied back to the gate.

Crew were incredibly proactive and the FAs immediately started a water service. The captain came to explain and give updates, and the co-pilot went through the cabin to field questions. The flight attendants then went through the cabin with the Beamster cheese sandwich service, followed by drinks including wine. Finally, the aircraft was deemed fit to fly by the mechanics and we left 2 hours late, arriving at AMS at 23h05 instead of 21h25. I thought KLM handled it excellently and the cockpit crew did a great job. Seemed to be quite a few people like me overnighting at AMS before catching a connection the next day, plus a number of Mexicans connecting to Mexico City, although it looked like they didn't make their connection.
Old Dec 24, 19, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
Lasa number of Mexicans connecting to Mexico City, although it looked like they didn't make their connection.
That sucks, and even more so if they were heading home to celebrate Christmas.

Have a merry one!

Johan
Old Dec 24, 19, 3:31 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
I generally criticise KLM quite a bit these days but Concerto is absolutely right that there are some fields where the airline still stands out.

I always appreciated the generally great communication of KL personnel on board and in airports. Where other airlines barely hand out any info, KL gives you even the tiniest of details like in this case. Perhaps the Dutch directness?

I had it once as well on a SVG-AMS flight where the young pilot came by ever seat to explain why we were not cleared for takeoff due to AMS restrictions giving his own predictions how long it would probably last. He even kneeled down each time he talked to the pax to be on the same eye level. I thought only SQ flight attendants would do that! The FAs did hand out water and collected all the kids in the plane in the meanwhile for a cockpit visit with the second pilot!
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Dec 24, 19, 7:22 am
Original Poster

KLM staff seem to be incredibly proactive and have the power of service recovery, which means they could offer several bar services without having to charge for it as British Airways does. I don't want to even think how that latter would have handled this.

The thread title was inspired by a thread in the Air Canada forum which was entitled, as I remember, Somewhat Scary One near Winnipeg. Well, this really wasn't a scary one, for me anyway. Everybody seemed calm and easy going and the little children were none the wiser. I fully expected to have to stay in Geneva for that night and lose my hotel reservation in Amsterdam. In the end, they turned it around pretty quickly. The main thing that held us up was getting a new slot for departure, which was initially scheduled for 1h40 in the future. After a while, that was reduced to just 40 minutes.
Old Feb 17, 20, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Just got an email from Expedia, for the ticket was booked with Expedia, offering 162 if I claim EU261 through the link provided in the email. Presumably they skim off the difference between 250 and that sum. But would you guys actually do it? We had 1 hour 45 minutes delay.

This is going back to the take off incident at GVA on 23rd December.

Last edited by Concerto; Feb 17, 20 at 7:15 am
Old Feb 17, 20, 7:22 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
I wouldn't. At the end of the day, you had a ticket to DUS anyway which presumably was not delayed.
Old Feb 17, 20, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the response. That is intuitively what I thought too. Also, Expedia is obviously trying to make an extra buck or two here.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: