Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM Schengen lounge refurbishment

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:55 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
KLM Schengen lounge refurbishment

in english:
KLM Crown Lounge Schengen
- larger new space
- refurbished existing space
- different focus: quick & fast coffee and snacks (schengen lounge) versus transit passengers requiring sleep, shower and dining (existing non schengen lounge)
- lounge will stay open during phased construction and expansion

-----------------------

in Dutch:
SCHIPHOL - Na de non-Schengenlounge neemt KLM ook de Europese Crown Lounge stevig onder handen. De wachtruimte wordt niet alleen grondig vernieuwd, maar is straks ook flink groter. Daardoor moet er meer ruimte worden geschapen voor het groeiende aantal gebruikers.

KLM heropende onlangs al op feestelijke wijze de Crown Lounge in het non-Schengengebied. Daar is nu plaats voor ruim 1.200 reizigers, bijna een verdubbeling ten opzichte van de vorige lounge.

Waar die lounge ingesteld is op overstappers die bijvoorbeeld uitgebreid willen dineren, douchen of een dutje doen, daar verwelkomt de Schengen-lounge een heel ander publiek. “Daar komen reizigers die in een half uur tijd een kopje koffie en een broodje willen, voordat ze aan boord stappen”, zegt Eelco van Asch, Senior Vice President Ground Services bij KLM tegen Luchtvaartnieuws Magazine.

Vooral tijdens de piekuren kan het nogal druk worden in de lounge, vandaar dat een uitbreiding noodzakelijk is. Van Asch benadrukt dat de lounge in fases wordt aangepakt, waardoor reizigers er tijdens de werkzaamheden gewoon terecht kunnen.
--------------------------------------------
Source:
https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieu...e-onder-handen

Let us hope the second house of crown won't have any silly nonsense paid options !
Thysk and Goldorak like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HadesNL
different focus: quick & fast coffee and snacks!
I guess that means they will take the opportunity to abolish anything the even resembles proper food.

Johan
Old Dec 16, 2019, 4:02 am

So if I landed on a long-haul and am waiting for my short-haul Schengen flight, I have to stay in the non-Shengen side if I want to shower and rest, and cross security at the last minute?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 4:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
"We've listened to your feedback and will be reducing "improving" our service/lounge-product to a simplified/bare-bones version of Starbucks"

"People were complaining about the long wait time and lack of showers and comfy chairs, so we removed all of them 'For your convenience'/'For a more/better standardized product'"

Last edited by Thysk; Dec 16, 2019 at 5:50 am
Old Dec 16, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
That press release sounds like they are about to f*ck up another lounge - bigly.

Whether it is the use of the word "wachtruimte" instead of lounge (Dutch for "waiting room" - like you are visiting the dentist) or KLM talking how passengers just want a quick coffee or snack. It basically sounds like a glorified train station kiosk. No wonder KLM management wants to chase people out of short-haul flights and into trains!

The part where they say that the non-Schengen lounge has a different public (mainly those on connecting flights, in the words of KLM) is also puzzling. Since when do passengers not connect inside the Schengen area anymore? They really have no clue at all what they are doing.
psollitt, Thysk, Squerez and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: FB plat for life
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
passengers just want a quick coffee or snack.
That sounds like they will basically remove all other drinks/wine/beer plus warm food from this 'waiting area'...

I suspect they cooperate with Schiphol in this. Schiphol reduced the service for non-Privium pax and KLM helps to push everyone over to the Privium lounges..
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:18 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by pjhartog
That sounds like they will basically remove all other drinks/wine/beer plus warm food from this 'waiting area'...
This is my interpretation of that message I read.... i hope that this will be totally wrong and they will keep it as much as what is available as of now.

Cheers!
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by pjhartog
I suspect they cooperate with Schiphol in this. Schiphol reduced the service for non-Privium pax and KLM helps to push everyone over to the Privium lounges..
If that should be the case, I'd be... accepting... of that, but then they should really get going on Privium Airside Schengen lounge now
Old Dec 17, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
So the new A pier/terminal lounge will be a glorified starbucks as well ? ... looking at this press release , Source - https://www.schiphol.nl/en/projects/...iew-kees-kaan/ talking about the new being in the DNA of schiphol .. hmm have heard that before recently with a british airline ... regarding cost cutting ...
Thysk likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by psollitt
So the new A pier/terminal lounge will be a glorified starbucks as well ? ...
Or a diluted one? (Not sure that's even possible, but if anybody can do it, it will be KL)

Johan
Thysk, Mozart0815 and psollitt like this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Ok so now they‘ve really managed to put KLM on my personal “no-fly list”. I may be overreacting but I don’t see that KLM is doing anything to attract international business class travelers any more. It sounds like they just stick to catering for the locals who just pick KLM out of habit or convenience vs having to offer a true premium service.

But thanks god they still hand out silly tiny houses every time. That’s what customers really value!
Thysk likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:17 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
What's better about the competition? That's not being simple, I just honestly don't see anything in European business class being good today.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by caliform
What's better about the competition? That's not being simple, I just honestly don't see anything in European business class being good today.
I agree that European companies aren’t really known for an outstanding product. That’s why going to Asis I ended up on QR quite a bit (that said, Al Mourjan is overrated), or CX before Hong-Kong became an issue.

But even within Europe, I’d rather take AF (better food & lounge), or LX (single seats and quite nice E lounge), and while I haven’t tried the new BA J product yet, it looks quite interesting, and the lounge in LHR (especially being EC Gold) is better than „The Crown“ ever will be.
Thysk likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Everyone has different priorities - for flights within Europe (and beyond, actually) the lounge is probably the lowest priority for me. Operational reliability on the other hand and safety are much, much higher on the list, and KLM excels in both categories, much more so than strike-ridden AF.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
I just honestly don't see anything in European business class being good today.
TK is the exception here.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.