Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting in AMS - Collecting and Rechecking Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Transiting in AMS - Collecting and Rechecking Luggage

I'm looking at an itinerary and wondering if this is possible. I'm currently booked on KLM from AMS to NBO leaving at 12pm on a Saturday.

The flight I'm looking at booking to get into AMS is on United/Lufthansa from EWR-MUC-AMS. It is scheduled to arrive at 10:20am on the same day, which leaves me 100 minutes to make the connection and recheck my bags.

If I understand this process correctly, I would go through immigration in MUC, and therefore be able to just simply pick up my bags in AMS and drop them off at KLM. That sounds to me like enough time if the flight from MUC-AMS is in fact treated as a domestic(ish) flight, even though I'm originating in the US. If relevant, I'm a DL Platinum (Elite Plus), US passport.

If I do end up missing the flight, will KLM be at least somewhat helpful, or will they just say "you were a no-show, buy a new ticket"?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
That's downright impossible. KLM will not be assisting you and you can purchase a new ticket. The problem is security and passport control after dropping your bags, plus luggage delivery can be slow at AMS as well.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:58 am

If I were you I'd go with the KQ flight in the evening, or find a different route to get to your destination altogether.
Baggage drop closes 60 minutes before the flight, it takes 20-30 minutes in a best case scenario for your bag to arrive at the carousel and can easily take 45-50 minutes on a bad day.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
100 mins is doable with only carry-ons.

With at checked bags, I will say at high risk:
- 150 mins if you have elite status on both ST and SA, or travelling in J
- 180 mins if you don't have status with SA

A checked bag is your biggest enemy.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Your plan is a recipe for disaster. On top of that as you add a connection to arrive in AMS, you dramatically increase the risks of not making it on time in AMS. So you definitely should look at alternatives.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
If relevant, I'm a DL Platinum (Elite Plus), US passport.
Do yourself a huge favor.

Book a direct NYC-AMS flight, to arrive either on the Friday, or very very very early on the Saturday that you have booked your AMS-NBO flight.

(Your determination of "100 minutes" above is woefully inaccurate. Baggage drop for your NBO flight closes at the latest 1 hour before departure. That leaves you with just 40 minutes, which doesn't account for any delays to your Lufthansa flight, or the 20-minute taxi in from the remote Polderbaan. You may not even have disembarked from your MUC flight by the time boarding your NBO flight has started, let alone getting your luggage back from Lufthansa. You also have to clear immigration to get landside, and clear emigration and security to get back airside. There is no chance of your proposal working out. I would not even risk this routing on separate tickets with just hand luggage)

Last edited by irishguy28; Dec 11, 2019 at 4:16 pm
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by tbaiyun
100 mins is doable with only carry-ons.

With at checked bags, I will say at high risk:
- 150 mins if you have elite status on both ST and SA, or travelling in J
- 180 mins if you don't have status with SA

A checked bag is your biggest enemy.
While 100min is doable with hand luggage only it's still very risky, especially as OP is already connecting in MUC prior to arrival in AMS, I wouldn't personally be comfortable with it and recommend at least 3 hours on separate tickets.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
OP makes the common mistake of looking at the time between scheduled landing and take off on their next flight. FT is littered with threads asking similar questions making the same mistake.

OP also makes the assumption (like many others) that that they have a connection when they simply don't and they will be on their own if they miss their AMS-NBO flight.

KLM won't just rebook them for a delay that wasn't caused by them. OPs DL status won't help either. OP has that one right = no show buy a new ticket!

If this was all one ticket then 100 minutes would be more than plenty because OP would only have to (in essence) get from one gate to the next. Actually then that 100 minutes is more like 80 if you assume a doors close cut off of 20 minutes but still more than doable.

But in this case OP has to negotiate the slow baggage system at AMS. I've often had to wait over 20 minutes and more often closer to 30 for my bags to appear off a BA flight. i don't think the schengen baggage system is quicker than the non schengen one!

The OP also has to negotiate the KLM bag drop close time which is 60 minutes - and that means having completed the task not just being in the queue. They aren't any bag drop desks just after baggage claim like there are in US airports for example.

OP you need to rethink your flight timings. I would suggest timing your flights to AMS to arrive the night before. There are several hotels at Schipol and many more close by .
LondonElite likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yeah, OP, what others have said. There is absolutely no chance of making this (convoluted itinerary) work. None at all. Polderbaan taxi takes ages, luggage takes ages to arrive, check-in closes early, security will be full. Don't do this unless you want to donate money to KLM. Buy a single ticket to NBO, or arrive the day before. KLM will tell you to pound sand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.