Wiki Posts
Search

Schiphol Pronounciation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2019, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC Europium
Schiphol Pronounciation

I had this bizarre experience today on a KLM flight from ARN to AMS.
I could not say if it were the same person, but in one announcement a cabin crew said Schiphol as in 'Shi-pol', and in a later one 'Ski-pol'. Are there actually several (proper) ways to pronounce that word?

Last edited by John Chiefsofstaff; Nov 23, 2019 at 11:13 pm
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue
It actually right between those sayings. It is a difficult letter combination to say sch.. wish is pronounced like ‘sg’ perhaps a non Dutch flight attendant who is still learning the ‘sch’.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:48 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Or perhaps it was the difference between an English announcement, and a Dutch one?
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Dutch G grates like a shovel in cold gravel. A cinch to pronounce, in other words.
caliform likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Skippol / Sgippol according to the onboard announcements.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
As Mr. Guggenheimer says, Sch is a nice Dutch letter combination that (apart from the Swiss) hardly any other foreigner can speak out properly. It is like the g in grr...(not the soft k in good) or the j in the Spanish 'jamon'. It was one of the ways Dutch soldiers tried to identify German parachutists in our unhappy 5 days stand against Germany in WWII, May 1940 - asking any unidentified stranger to pronounce 'Scheveningse schapen scheren' (shave sheep from Scheveningen). Or so. No way a German could pronounce this properly. The Dutch Schiphol = pronounced as Sgiphol, and any foreigner will make it Skiphol. Well possible that the FA used proper Dutch pronounciation in one announcement, and the English version in the second.
bitterproffit and RoyalSwazi like this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by atflyer
As Mr. Guggenheimer says, Sch is a nice Dutch letter combination that (apart from the Swiss) hardly any other foreigner can speak out properly. It is like the g in grr...(not the soft k in good) or the j in the Spanish 'jamon'. It was one of the ways Dutch soldiers tried to identify German parachutists in our unhappy 5 days stand against Germany in WWII, May 1940 - asking any unidentified stranger to pronounce 'Scheveningse schapen scheren' (shave sheep from Scheveningen). Or so. No way a German could pronounce this properly. The Dutch Schiphol = pronounced as Sgiphol, and any foreigner will make it Skiphol. Well possible that the FA used proper Dutch pronounciation in one announcement, and the English version in the second.
It is almost identical to the Scots pronunciation of 'ch' in words such as Loch. The tongue-twister I learned was: 'achtentachtig prachtige grachten'
HalconBCN and thijsseh like this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atflyer
It was one of the ways Dutch soldiers tried to identify German parachutists in our unhappy 5 days stand against Germany in WWII, May 1940 - asking any unidentified stranger to pronounce 'Scheveningse schapen scheren' (shave sheep from Scheveningen). Or so. No way a German could pronounce this properly.
I must say that to my untrained foreigner ear, a Dutch 'ch' or 'g' sounds virtually identical to a German (or Scottish for that matter) hard 'ch' and 'sch' sounds just like the combination of 's'+'ch'. Is there something that I am missing/not hearing?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Or perhaps it was the difference between an English announcement, and a Dutch one?
This.

They tend to pronounce it "Ship..." when speaking in English.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
I must say that to my untrained foreigner ear, a Dutch 'ch' or 'g' sounds virtually identical to a German (or Scottish for that matter) hard 'ch' and 'sch' sounds just like the combination of 's'+'ch'. Is there something that I am missing/not hearing?
You are correct about the Scottish ch, but I wasn't aware of German having the same sound.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by AJCNL
The tongue-twister I learned was: 'achtentachtig prachtige grachten'
Make that Vannacht zag ik achtentachtig allemachtig prachtige grachten
irishguy28 and atflyer like this.

Last edited by KL895; Nov 25, 2019 at 11:27 am Reason: Inserted quote
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by KL895
Make that Vannacht zag ik achtentachtig allemachtig prachtige grachten
Does it constitute my inburgering once I manage to do it properly on the first try?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Does it constitute my inburgering once I manage to do it properly on the first try?
Instant Dutch citizenship upon first arrival at SCHiphol!
HalconBCN and thijsseh like this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by KL895
Instant Dutch citizenship upon first arrival at SCHiphol!
Should I just find the closest Marechaussee officer?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 6:12 pm

I say shripol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.