Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM buys E195-2 and introduces WiFi

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:58 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
KLM buys E195-2 and introduces WiFi

Articles can be found here:

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieu...embraer-195-e2

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieu...wifi-aan-boord

Anyone know which aircraft the E195-2 will replace: the E175 or E190, or are these in addition to the E175 and E190?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Going by the investor relations slidedeck, a bit of both. There is some growth expected, but not as significant as 15+20 planes. They don't give a numerical expectation of ratios, but it looks like both 175s and 190s will become a smaller proportions. However 175 is a very young fleet, so I guess more likely that more 190s will go away.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
KLM has the biggest base of Embraer in Europe and has learned how to manage them in a profitable way flying to/from small airports and/or high revenue destinations mostly biz-driven. The comfort Embraer delivers is for me unbeatable on short haul...especially when you travel with a partner (for biz or leisure).
For this reason I'm likely among the fews that prefer to travel in Embraer whenever it is possible vs standard A318-319-320-321.
A bit off-topic, AZ has many Embraer too (especially E175) and unfortunately consider them unprofitable but IMO because they never learned how to use such planes properly with few exceptions (like the routes between LIN and LCY, BRU or FRA).
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
According to AirFleet, 12 E190 were delivered in 2009 and 2010 which are leased so they could return some of those when the contract ends.
Gajan likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mirk
According to AirFleet, 12 E190 were delivered in 2009 and 2010 which are leased so they could return some of those when the contract ends.
In another article I read that the new aircraft should replace the older E190.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Squerez
KLM has the biggest base of Embraer in Europe and has learned how to manage them in a profitable way flying to/from small airports and/or high revenue destinations mostly biz-driven. The comfort Embraer delivers is for me unbeatable on short haul...especially when you travel with a partner (for biz or leisure).
For this reason I'm likely among the fews that prefer to travel in Embraer whenever it is possible vs standard A318-319-320-321.
I think you will find this group is rather large. E-jets are almost universally liked.

Originally Posted by Squerez
A bit off-topic, AZ has many Embraer too (especially E175) and unfortunately consider them unprofitable but IMO because they never learned how to use such planes properly with few exceptions (like the routes between LIN and LCY, BRU or FRA).
I guess a large part of the problem is that they run them on a shuttle between LIN and FCO a lot, cheap and half empty... not the best use.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Wifi on klm? Too early! It is only late 2019.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 1:53 am

E190 needs only 2 crew but E195 needs 3 crew, right?
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by criced
E190 needs only 2 crew but E195 needs 3 crew, right?
Correct
Old Nov 22, 2019, 8:16 am

E195 is slightly larger than E190, in theory KLM could simply use a little less compacted cabin and/or block some business class seats to get down to a capacity of 100 and get by with 2 crew. I don't know what is the marginal cost of getting a third crew member in, they could even potentially switch between a 100 capacity / full (116?) capacity dispatch ad-hoc.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
E195 is slightly larger than E190, in theory KLM could simply use a little less compacted cabin and/or block some business class seats to get down to a capacity of 100 and get by with 2 crew. I don't know what is the marginal cost of getting a third crew member in, they could even potentially switch between a 100 capacity / full (116?) capacity dispatch ad-hoc.
I believe the idea of going for the 195 is to continue to grow despite the shortage of landing slots so it wouldn't make sense to go for the same capacity than the current 190. Plus KLC staff cabin staff is probably the least expensive they have so they probably won't mind adding an extra crew member if they can get passenger growth out of it.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Mirk
I believe the idea of going for the 195 is to continue to grow despite the shortage of landing slots so it wouldn't make sense to go for the same capacity than the current 190. Plus KLC staff cabin staff is probably the least expensive they have so they probably won't mind adding an extra crew member if they can get passenger growth out of it.
And they can then assign one CC for business class and the two CC in the back can focus on giving good service to the economy passangers
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
The new jets will be used in a few ways in the short and long term...

1. They will initially be used to grant much needed capacity to the Cityhopper network, in wake of the slot constraints at Amsterdam. This will be done by operating the E195-E2 on the most popular routes, and thus moving the E190 to take on the most popular E175 routes. Fleet optimisation will be worked out by 2021, to decide the precise network areas.

2. Some of the jets will probably replace the older 737-700 fleet... This will bring cost savings as Cityhopper crew have lower pay. As well as this, the 737-700 operates with 4 crew, whereas the E195-E2 will have 3 crew, thus bringing savings. Whilst the 737-700 fleet is young, returning the leased aircraft as the leases expire is probably cost effective, given that the E195-E2 will bring cost savings... In theory, KLM could phase out their entire 737-700 fleet with the E2 and the final remaining 737-800. I suggest this, due to an initial suggestion that KLM will remove the 737-700 by 2022, although this is perhaps a little delayed now.

3. In the really long term, KLM will have an eye on using the E195-E2 to actually expand at Amsterdam. Within the next 7 years, I can expect to see a rising slot limit at Schiphol, and KLM will be looking at the later orders and options to utilise these new slots for expansion. KLM could (in theory) use their initial 16 E2s to phase out the 737-700, and then have 5 remaining E2s to expand once AMS can expand... This isn't including options. This is also a really long term view, and a view that isn't guaranteed to take place due to AMS uncertainty.

I have also heard some (unconfirmed and perhaps unlikely) rumours that KLM could potentially lease 2-3 planes to Air Antwerp in the coming years to enable expansion and replacement of the elder Fokker 50. This would perhaps come from an E175 which would be displaced by an E190, thus displaced by an E2.

(Note - everything mentioned here is simply speculation / rumours which I have heard on my travels)
-G
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by George Moore
I have also heard some (unconfirmed and perhaps unlikely) rumours that KLM could potentially lease 2-3 planes to Air Antwerp in the coming years to enable expansion and replacement of the elder Fokker 50. This would perhaps come from an E175 which would be displaced by an E190, thus displaced by an E2.
OK, now you made me go and book my ANR-LCY ticket, I need that F50 shame no flights on Saturday.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:59 am

Programs: FB Gold
I flew one of these today from TLS. Usually an AF flyer but schedule dictated I take KLM for the return flight.

Fresh cabine, USB chargers. Nice. New ways to get revenue by charging for seats in the front half of the cabine- perhaps not so nice if you're not Plat/Gold, but if you are, it's nice because there are potentially empty seats (or rows) upfront.

But no wifi. No seat recline. And the non-existent padding in the new Recaro seats have a faint air of the horrible NEK seats that LH had/has. The adjustable headrests are only in the J and first 7 rows. It's overall not a confortable experience even for short-haul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.