KLM Boarding Order

Old Oct 29, 19, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

KLM Boarding Order

I'm going to be flying from Chicago to Berlin (through AMS) on KLM on their "Standard" fare, which apparently includes 1 checked bag & free seat selection.

I will be travelling with a fragile musical instrument that needs to go in the overhead, so I need to get on the plane as early as possible in the boarding process (for economy passengers) while there is still room in the overheads. This is standard procedure for flying with my instrument and I've successfully taken it on dozens of flights, but never on KLM.

I need to pick my seat, and I'm having trouble finding any obviously current information at all about how KLM does boarding groups/zones.

Can anybody tell me if KLM generally boards back-to-front, outside-in, etc, for Economy passengers? Also, can I expect it to be much different in AMS than in ORD?

Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 19, 6:48 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Flying Blue Gold, easyJet Flight Club
You might get some kind of steer from this recent thread:
KLM Europe Boarding Rant

You'll be in zone 4-5 for each flight. Essentially, theres a priority group and a non-priority group.

Get to the gate early and queue in the non priority group and you'll have you're pick of half the plane.
Old Nov 1, 19, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Cool, thanks. Any idea what section of the plane will put me in Zone 4 instead of Zone 5?
Old Nov 2, 19, 8:58 am

Programs: FB Platinum; IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by denace_denton View Post
Cool, thanks. Any idea what section of the plane will put me in Zone 4 instead of Zone 5?
Zones are about the order of boarding only and have nothing to do with the seat in the plane.
Old Nov 2, 19, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Right, and how is that differentiation between Zones 4 & 5 determined in KLM's case? It's not just randomly assigned, right? How can I get in Zone 4?

For example I know United will board Economy back-to-front, so if I have the option to pick a seat I will pick it toward the rear so that I am in a group that will board earlier (which I believe is usually group 4 vs. group 5 in United's case). Or I've heard some other airlines will board the window seats first, but I've never actually seen that.
Old Nov 2, 19, 2:07 pm

Itís based on your booking class. Lowest booking classes are zone 5, the other ones are zone 4 (with the exception of the three highest economy booking classes, those are zone 3). You can select any seat you want, your zone only applies to boarding.
Old Nov 3, 19, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Flying Blue Gold, easyJet Flight Club
Zones 4+5 are always invited to board at the same time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: