Wiki Posts
Search

New security lane when transferring from Schengen area

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
New security lane when transferring from Schengen area

I just saw that there is a new security lane for passengers immediately after passport control , I asked one agent directing people to it how it worked and was told it was random. I wasn't sent there but others were with a line of about 20 pax. That should truly mess up some of those with very short connections and on a random basis !
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:49 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Are you sure it is a security lane like the normal security lane when entering from a non-sterile area or was it one for customs check (e.g. for money laundering, etc).
I find it strange since everything is quite centralized now and I believe all Schengen arrival flights are deemed "secured" flight - so no secondary screening should be needed when doing such a transfer from Schengen to non-Schengen...

Cheers!
Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Well they were putting bags through an xray machine with instructions about liquids , they have been building the wooden wall there for a while, I have to go back past for my flight so will have another look
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: KL Plat
I went through this last year, after going through the automated gates they grabbed me and the wife to send us through there. No other pax in front so wasn't much of a delay just seemed rather odd.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

It wasn’t there three weeks ago, it seems to be full security check but laptops etc and liquids in 100ml bottles can stay in luggage . Not sure of the fate of any bigger bottles. There’s also a metal detector arch to go through
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:49 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by ninjalad
It wasn’t there three weeks ago, it seems to be full security check but laptops etc and liquids in 100ml bottles can stay in luggage . Not sure of the fate of any bigger bottles. There’s also a metal detector arch to go through
another silly move by the airport authorities if this is true....not sure what's the reason behind this...justifying the reason for increasing airport taxes? Luckily I don't have to use this path majority of the time.. although this does mean that for those that want to cross over to use the facilities/lounges (as sometimes those flying Vueling/Level with BA issued tickets/flight # and with status, they are eligible to use the BA lounge) might encounter additional time - including those with short connection will run into higher stress - since if you get pulled over you can't request to be skipped from being checked....

Cheers!
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
What? This is an additional check for PAX who have cleared security at their origin airport, coming from Lounge 1 going to Lounge 2/3?
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:30 am
Original Poster

According to the security guy I spoke to it is a new EU rule since January,
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Hang on. ALL customers are checked?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I know since January they stopped the interviews for US-bound flights because the regular security at AMS was deemed sufficient. Could it be that this checkpoint is for US-bound PAX?
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 4:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
I know since January they stopped the interviews for US-bound flights because the regular security at AMS was deemed sufficient. Could it be that this checkpoint is for US-bound PAX?
I doubt that it’s just for the latter, since just beyond it passengers can mingle with passengers for a variety of destinations that are not in the US.

And the following publicly suggests it’s not limited to US destinations:

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/theme...ng-aviation_en

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 24, 2019 at 4:35 am
Old Oct 24, 2019, 4:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Hang on. ALL customers are checked?
I will hazard a guess here for now: for EU compliance purposes, a “random” selection of such checking, above some threshold, probably is sufficient.

IME, there has been some SMD, SED and EVD/ETD ramped up at Schengen airports this year.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
IME, there has been some SMD, SED and EVD/ETD ramped up at Schengen airports this year.
Whoah, too many TLAs in that sentence!!!

Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I doubt that it’s just for the latter, since just beyond it passengers can mingle with passengers for a variety of destinations that are not in the US.
Indeed, which is what makes this "random" aspect totally meaningless.

If, as you point out, there is a danger that even these randomly-checked passengers can again pick up something disallowed by "mingling" with the airside crowd, that means that they are not convinced that airside is actually "clean", and therefore rather than random checks, everyone should be checked.

I assume this is just another example of "security theatre", and that the facilities and personnel used up on this off-Broadway production () would be better employed filling out the chorus line on the main Broadway show, i.e. at the central security checkpoints where waiting times are often long enough as it is, due to lack of staff and closed security lanes.
johan rebel likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
I've seen the security lane mentioned here and observed it from the non-Schengen side in action.
Passengers exiting from passport controls exiting the Schengen zone are randomly selected by an agent for additional screening.
Although, from my observations, it's not as random as one can think as people with a rolling suitcase are more likely to be sent for inspection. I was also under the impression that the face of the passenger was also taken into account based on the few minutes of observation.
Unsure what happens to the liquids (for example water bottle) the passenger may have obtained post-security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.