Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM charges $40 for checked luggage on international flights ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

KLM charges $40 for checked luggage on international flights ?

I was finding out a flight to SYD and found a deal of KL/QF but had to pay extra $40 for a suitcase of max 23kg. Checking other international destinations, just for curiosity, like CPT, SCL, CUR, DPS from AMS showed all the same $40 extra fee, in these itineraries unlike SYD, no other airline is involved. Otherwise only 12kg of carry-on is allowed. I thought this was only the case in domestic (i.e.European) flights.

Is this $40 fee for international flights correct ?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Originally Posted by airsurfer
Is this $40 fee for international flights correct ?
For Y pax, yes.

https://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/pre...ance/index.htm
Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
You booked a "light fare" which comes with no bag allowance, so yes you have to pay for this if you want to check a bag.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:15 pm

I believe the second bag is 80 usd / or euro depending on where you’re departing from
Old Sep 18, 2019, 1:11 am

That’s only for one-way. You’re looking at €80 for a round trip.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:55 am

Is this new? Check-in bag was definitely included on my recent flights to/from Japan, and I'm pretty sure it was included on my other flights to the USA and Japan over the last few years. And yeah, I always choose the cheapest option when booking.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 3:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MartinB105
Is this new? Check-in bag was definitely included on my recent flights to/from Japan, and I'm pretty sure it was included on my other flights to the USA and Japan over the last few years. And yeah, I always choose the cheapest option when booking.
I think KL and ST have been on the forefront of this.

They were the first to introduce Light/BE fares on TATL routes. They were the first to expand it beyond TATL routes as well. If you're traveling from Europe to Asia, from July 15, 2019 onwards they have been offering eco light fares without any checked luggage allowance.

tl;dr Yes, in the direction of Asia, it's new.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Djokison
That’s only for one-way. You’re looking at €80 for a round trip.
If I add another suitcase to my reservation retrospectively via the my booking link on the KLM website it will charge me 80 euros for an additional suitcase for a one-way.
My impression is that the second checked bag is 80 euros if you add it retrospectively (As FB Gold I'm allowed a checked suitcase per flight).
However if I add the suitcase during the booking process on the website it charges me 40 euros for a one-way.
I hope this is a glitch, will give KLM a call about this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: FB plat for life
Probably if you do it during booking, you are not logged in and then the system charges you for the first suitcase - which is EUR 40 one way. A 2nd bag is EUR 80 even if you are Gold and entitled to the first free.

If you are logged in and want to add a bag it will see it as a 2nd bag and charge you EUR 80 too.

Curious if this is indeed the explanation
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC there are a couple international destinations where local laws and regulations require a certain free baggage allowance. Brazil is an example.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC there are a couple international destinations where local laws and regulations require a certain free baggage allowance. Brazil is an example.
To be clear, there is no such thing as a "free" bag. There are "included" bags. Don't think for a second that one isn't paying for bags on the Brazil routes (or for that matter on above Light fares where a bag is included).

Bottom line here is that in a day and age where fewer and fewer people check bags, fares which don't force passengers to subsidize those who want to check a bag, are quite successful.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
(...)

Bottom line here is that in a day and age where fewer and fewer people check bags, fares which don't force passengers to subsidize those who want to check a bag, are quite successful.
Let me fix this for you:

Bottom line here is that in a day and age where fewer and fewer people check bags, fares where you can get your oversized carryon weighing 10 tons alongside your 3 plastic bags and your backpack, whilst being subsidized by the passengers who checked their bag in, and also taking up all the overhead bin space in the process, are quite successful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.