Is it too early to book for summer?

Old Sep 15, 19, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Is it too early to book for summer?

Hello
I was wondering whether you think flight prices for July are as low as they probably will go for flights with KLM from Norway to U.K. via Amsterdam. The flight prices are a little more than Iím used to and I wondered do you think itís too early and they might still reduce or can they only increase in price from now?
I donít have much experience booking flights yet so Iím not really sure when the right time to book is so any insights might be helpful.
Thanks
Old Sep 15, 19, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
There is certainly no need to book such a flight so early. Do this sometimes in January IMO.
Old Sep 15, 19, 1:49 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Common wisdom is book say 2-3 months ahead. Earlier, they show average prices. Later, they assume you have limited flexibility. In that period, the algorithm may get nervous since no sufficient bookings on the plane yet ;-). Maybe for high demand periods like Summer and X-mas this is different. But I have also seen different situations - if the flight is still fairly empty and competition offers low prices, you can snatch good deals say 3-4 weeks in advance. And the contrary - wait till 1-2 weeks in advance and the flight is full, they ask top prices.
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:39 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
best deals are 2 weeks to 2 months in advance, depending on the route and date. Exposed dates will be relatively expensive from the outset.
Old Sep 16, 19, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Ok thank you all for your help!
Old Sep 17, 19, 9:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
I think you have to settle for a price... and book them. I just bought tickets to Cancun in May (not summer) as Ä470 per pax is worth it and I do not think it will get any cheaper then that... if to be honest it is what we say 'koffiedik" kijken. It is hard to tell.

(secret... I know KL yield management used data of there own staff to see how holidays requests etc spikes demands from EX-AMS for prices)
Old Sep 18, 19, 5:05 am

Using skyscanner direct flights from Norway to UK show as 83 euro in July 2020
Old Sep 19, 19, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by maball View Post
Using skyscanner direct flights from Norway to UK show as 83 euro in July 2020
Watch out, Norwegian may not be around in July 2020! (Doomsayers on FT have been calling its death for the past 2 years!)

Search this Thread