FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Security Check Query (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/1985692-security-check-query.html)

pandaloverx Sep 3, 2019 2:21 am

Security Check Query

Hi! I’ll be flying Inverness to Amsterdam to Chicago this month! I’m super excited. I normally fly via Heathrow but this option was a bit cheaper this time round so gone with KLM/Delta.

When I land in Amsterdam, would I need to go through Passport Control/Security? & is it quite an easy airport to navigate?

Thank you :)

johan rebel Sep 3, 2019 2:41 am

The answers are no and yes.

Johan

yno Sep 3, 2019 2:43 am

Could you clarify where you start from?
If you start from Heathrow, you connect non-shengen to non-shengen. So as long as it's one single ticket, your bags will be checked through and there won't be any passport control / security.

johan rebel Sep 3, 2019 2:50 am

Originally Posted by yno (Post 31484743)

The OP wrote "Inverness to Amsterdam to Chicago"

Johan

pandaloverx Sep 3, 2019 3:02 am

Originally Posted by yno (Post 31484743)
If you start from Heathrow, you connect non-shengen to non-shengen. So as long as it's one single ticket, your bags will be checked through and there won't be any passport control / security.

Great thank you! It’s inverness so it’ll be the same then :)

Ehrmantraut Sep 4, 2019 3:52 am

Depending on the airline you should have no pasport control and no security as you can go to connecting flights and just go to the gate.

irishguy28 Sep 4, 2019 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut (Post 31488701)
Depending on the airline you should have no pasport control and no security as you can go to connecting flights and just go to the gate.

It's not the airline that determines that, so much as it is the origin of the flight.

However, for UK to US connections, there is no security and no passport check (with the exception of temporary/exceptional spot checks, an unlikely possibility but one that may be introduced as needed and without advance notice)

Fabo.sk Sep 4, 2019 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 31488978)
It's not the airline that determines that, so much as it is the origin of the flight.

However, for UK to US connections, there is no security and no passport check (with the exception of temporary/exceptional spot checks, an unlikely possibility but one that may be introduced as needed and without advance notice)

Is the low-cost pier connected on NS side? On Schengen side it isn't.

But this would mean it can not be a through ticket.

irishguy28 Sep 4, 2019 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 31490646)
Is the low-cost pier connected on NS side? On Schengen side it isn't.

But this would mean it can not be a through ticket.

I don't know of any airlines using the low-cost pier that sell onward tickets to the United States on any carrier operating such flights from AMS.

The chances that the OP is "self connecting" in this manner are slim (there is a once-a-week Corendon charter flight from INV to AMS so it's not completely impossible; I suspect, however, that the OP is flying KLM given that there are at least 2 daily KLM flights, and the OP chose to ask this in the KL thread); however, to be fully complete, if the OP is arriving on a low cost carrier using the M pier, then they will need to enter the Netherlands and will be subject to full arrival procedures (passport control) and will have to undergo full departure procedures (security, passport control) as they are not a connecting passenger.