Why would KLM allow FA to livestream a landing FROM THE COCKPIT??

Old Aug 23, 19, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, IC Plat Ambassador, Accor Plat
Why would KLM allow FA to livestream a landing FROM THE COCKPIT??

I was shocked today to see on snapchat the live-streaming from the cockpit of a landing KLM aircraft. I can't tell where the landing is.

How can this kind of disruption be allowed during a high-workload time, when the cockpit is supposed to be "sterile"? And does this mean one of the FA stations was unattended during the landing?

I've asked KLM but only gotten a stock response about their social media policy - which ignored the flight attendant and cockpit issue.

Last edited by Gajan; Aug 26, 19 at 12:54 am Reason: Url removed
Old Aug 24, 19, 12:08 am

Entertainment purposes? Doing it for the 'gram? Let me guess, you are not young and up-to-speed on current forms of self-expression?

EDIT: Please don't consider my guess as to your age discriminatory. I am an old fart myself. And I only saw your registration date of 2006 after posting.
irisvl likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 12:21 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Not sure where the problem is.

1) How do you know it was an FA who was an duty on that flight, and without knowing that how can you conclude that one station was abandoned? You are aware that FAs also travel for leisure purposes, and often do so on standby tickets, and when flights are full, they get to fly on the jumpseat
2) Do the pilots interact with the filming FA? Does the FA speak? Ask questions? Make other noises or agitate? Is any of the pilots not concentrated on what he is doing? Is there any conversation or communication between the pilots about anything other than things related to their current task? If not, it's a sterile cockpit.Heck, they even both wear headsets, which I presume is in the SOP at KLM, which makes it stricter than other airlines (AF for instance, unless they have changed that in the past 3 years, which is when I last witnessed use of loudspeaker only during a landing).

I understand why you are upset about getting such an indifferent answer from KLM, but seriously, there is nothing to comment on. "Circulez, il n'y a rien à voir"
Old Aug 24, 19, 1:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue
They should use a dashcam!
Old Aug 24, 19, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
Not sure where the problem is.

1) How do you know it was an FA who was an duty on that flight, and without knowing that how can you conclude that one station was abandoned? You are aware that FAs also travel for leisure purposes, and often do so on standby tickets, and when flights are full, they get to fly on the jumpseat
2) Do the pilots interact with the filming FA? Does the FA speak? Ask questions? Make other noises or agitate? Is any of the pilots not concentrated on what he is doing? Is there any conversation or communication between the pilots about anything other than things related to their current task? If not, it's a sterile cockpit.Heck, they even both wear headsets, which I presume is in the SOP at KLM, which makes it stricter than other airlines (AF for instance, unless they have changed that in the past 3 years, which is when I last witnessed use of loudspeaker only during a landing).

I understand why you are upset about getting such an indifferent answer from KLM, but seriously, there is nothing to comment on. "Circulez, il n'y a rien à voir"
Fully agree. I think OP needs a break...
San Gottardo, tgv2 and irisvl like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Accor Gold, IHG Plat
Ridiculous! I have never come across such behaviour. Oh wait, there's a site called Youtube with thousands of cockpit video's of airlines worldwide, including the usually hysterical US airlines. I fail to see any issue with this clip.
AJCNL, San Gottardo, tgv2 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 4:28 am

Programs: FB Club 2000, M&M Hon
Originally Posted by jimmc66 View Post
I was shocked today to see on snapchat the live-streaming from the cockpit of a landing KLM aircraft. I can't tell where the landing is.

How can this kind of disruption be allowed during a high-workload time, when the cockpit is supposed to be "sterile"? And does this mean one of the FA stations was unattended during the landing?

I've asked KLM but only gotten a stock response about their social media policy - which ignored the flight attendant and cockpit issue.
Great livesteam! Wonder where the landing is.
irisvl likes this.

Last edited by Gajan; Aug 26, 19 at 12:53 am
Old Aug 24, 19, 4:41 am

Programs: A3*G, FB Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Did you know there are Jumpseats in the cockpit?
Those jumpseats can be used during take-off and landing by people who have stand-by tickets (staff travel or family), only if the captain agrees to.
It used to be common in "the good old days" but is denied by the pilots much more often. I do not see any problem with this, as long as the pilot is not interrupted during that moment.

I have flown jumpseat in the cockpit a few times with staff travel tickets in the times of Sabena.
irisvl likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 6:02 am

1) FAA /EASA(EU) sterile cockpit rules below a certain FL (no unnecessary chatter or actions to distract the pilot) - don't see any issues here

2) there are rules on mandatory manned FA seats (usually one by each door). Can't tell if it's broken, but it's unlikely. As said above, someone can jumpseat in the cockpit for nonrev/commuting purposes
nancypants and irisvl like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by jimmc66 View Post

I've asked KLM but only gotten a stock response about their social media policy - which ignored the flight
If you have managed to find the YouTube link, you’ll undoubtedly have seen the thousands of other cockpits landing videos. Will you write to all of those airlines as well?
irisvl likes this.

Last edited by Gajan; Aug 26, 19 at 12:53 am
Old Aug 24, 19, 7:40 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: AE, BA, MR, Fairmont Plat (RIP), Accor Plat
Because the Captain said it was ok to do so?

Much ado about nothing here I'm afraid
irisvl likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How does live-streaming chime with regulations on use of cell phones in flight? Don't they have to be in airplane mode?

I don't see any airplane mode symbol in the image posted by the OP, but instead what looks like three signal strength bars.

Johan
hugolover likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 8:42 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
How does live-streaming chime with regulations on use of cell phones in flight? Don't they have to be in airplane mode?

I don't see any airplane mode symbol in the image posted by the OP, but instead what looks like three signal strength bars.

Johan
that just appears to be “whoever is watching it has 3 bars of signal” (a/a whoever was filming it having signal at the time of filming)

there’s no evidence I can see here this was live-streamed, it seems to be a stock standard Instagram story which can be filmed in advance and then posted when convenient
Fabo.sk and irisvl like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 9:37 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
LOL, we have professionals and also our own Go-Pro gear taking videos often in the flight deck. Absolutely not a big deal. Honestly, this is a non-issue, and more common than you would think.
irisvl likes this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post

Johan
It would appear the OP have done a screen recording of playing the "original" movie that was sent to him via snapchat or whatever other means and uploaded it to youtube.
Xizm and nancypants like this.

Search this Thread