Special Meals on Short-Haul Flights?

Old Aug 8, 19, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Special Meals on Short-Haul Flights?

I feel incredibly stupid for asking this. I've looked all around a few KL bookings (all short-haul) and see no option to choose a vegetarian special meal.

Am I correct in concluding that special meals aren't available? These are KL tickets on 074 stock. Business class. Short international hops (less than 90 min flight time).

Again, please excuse if this is a stupid question. My references are BA, LX and LH which all allow me to select special meals even on short flights in the range of 1 to 2 hours flight time.
Old Aug 8, 19, 12:39 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Cityhopper flights or KLM flights are also a factor in this.
speed.skater likes this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speed.skater View Post
Am I correct in concluding that special meals aren't available? These are KL tickets on 074 stock. Business class.
No, it is not a stupid question. Yes,you are correct, no special meals on KL shorthaul in any class.

I recall sitting next to a gentleman who was a Jain vegetarian. There wasn't anything he could eat on the dinner tray he was offered. When he complained to the purser that he had ordered a special meal, she told him that applied to longhaul segments only.

Johan
speed.skater and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to make sure the problem is not me being incapable to find the pertinent option within the "My Trips" section of the KL website.

I am a vegetarian but it's actually no big deal for me that there is no dedicated vegetarian option. I'm sure there will be vegetarian bits on the tray and in any case, now I'll be able to plan accordingly.
Old Aug 9, 19, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speed.skater View Post
I'm sure there will be vegetarian bits on the tray.
Depends.

Unfortunately, KL recently abolished lunch on shorthaul flights. They now serve breakfast on all flights departing before 12 noon, and dinner on all flights departing after that hour.

The great thing about lunch was that not only were you offered a choice of three sandwiches, but one of the options was also always vegetarian. In addition you got a salad (usually with bits of fish, rarely vegetarian), hot rolls and a thimble-sized dessert (almost invariably sickly sweet).

If you are on a breakfast flight, you will be fine. Apart from a single slice of processed meat of at best mediocre quality, everything else is vegetarian: two bits of cheese, fruit-flavored yoghurt, a fruit salad, marmelade and hot rolls.

On a dinner flight YMMV. You get hot rolls, a small and a slightly bigger salad, and a tiny and very sweet dessert. Most salads will require you to pick and choose, as they contain chicken/fish/seafood. I have been served the odd vegetarian one, though.

Johan
speed.skater likes this.
Old Aug 9, 19, 5:21 pm

Programs: Delta
No special meals on three hours or less. I just found out the hard way AMS-LIS-AMS.
Old Aug 9, 19, 5:35 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, Aegean silver, Umbi Umbi classic
No choices indeed, but weirdly all my last late evening AMS-OTP flights (3 hours in length) had always vegetarian meals. Not sure if thats a coincidence or really airline policy.
Old Aug 10, 19, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer View Post
No choices indeed, but weirdly all my last late evening AMS-OTP flights (3 hours in length) had always vegetarian meals.
OTP, along with a few other flights of around that length, is a bit of an odd man out.

When I last took the morning flight from AMS, I was offered a choice between a cold Continental and a hot English breakfast.

Midday flights should offer a choice too, but the late evening one presumably just offer a quick meal service.

Johan
Old Aug 10, 19, 4:23 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
I'm sure that has to do with the fact that Tarom has much better service/food options on that route. Just like TK has to IST and A3 has to ATH.

KLM has gone down to the level of offering the absolutely minimum they can get away with, and only improve their offer if competitors on that specific route offer something better.
Old Aug 15, 19, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The current shorthaul lunch/dinner is almost vegetarian:

- Indian lentil salad with curried hummus and coconut shrimp.

- Indonesian koho koho salad with green beans, banana flakes, serundeng and red pepper.

- Fresh yuzu-citrus mousse

That shrimp is indeed very much on his own on top of the lentil salad, and thus easily put to one side.

Johan
speed.skater likes this.

Search this Thread