Wiki Posts
Search

EU261 compensation for lap infant

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
EU261 compensation for lap infant

I'm currently arguing with KLM over whether an infant travelling in their parents' lap is entitled to compensation under EU261/2004 or not. KLM do not dispute that compensation is due in general (we got compensation for the adults without a hitch), but they dispute that the lap infant is entitled to compensation. First they argued that it's because the infant doesn't have their own seat, once I pointed out that the regulation doesn't require a seat they argued that it's because the infant used a fare that's not publicly available, even though anyone can book that fare for an infant via klm.com.

I've given them a last chance to change their mind before I hand this over to my legal insurance for further processing. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Do you actually pay a fare for a lap infant.... or do you pay a service fee for a lap infant? That is the interesting part on this post.

Your legal insurance will probably say... something you will dislike. They are mostly bean counters which will not want to pursue something like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Check whether this is covered in the big sticky and extremely authoritative/comprehensive EC261 thread in the BA forum. If anyone knows, the answer will be there.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Well, here's what the receipt says for an adult:

And here's what the receipt says for the infant:

The adult fare is listed as "Ticket price", and since the only component listed on the infant's ticket is also "Ticket price", it follows that that is the fare that the infant paid.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Agree with KLM. It's pretty grasping to expect compensation for an infant that was basically free
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Agree with KLM. It's pretty grasping to expect compensation for an infant that was basically free
By the same token passengers travelling on extremely cheap LCC fares should not be entitled to compensation then?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:00 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
The regulations talk about having a ticket. Does the infant have their own e-ticket? This should be a number, most likely starting with 074 in case of a KLM booking.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:23 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
I've just checked my old flights with a lap infant, and each time my daughter had a e-ticket number with KLM (also with BA or MEA)

So probably E261 applies. Then the other question is more an ethical one (don't shoot, i'm not saying one or the other ;-) )
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Yes, the lap infant no doubt has their own ticket, and KLM are solely denying compensation based on the absence of an own seat.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are likely to have to sue KL to get these funds. It's worth it to KL to fight these and, if it starts losing on a regular basis, it will pay out and make a determination as to whether 10% is sufficient to cover its risks for infant tickets. Should go without saying that payments under the Regulation may be nominally made by the carrier, but are derived from fares.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfkne
KLM are solely denying compensation based on the absence of an own seat.
Surely that's completely irrelevant from an EU261 perspective?

Johan
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The regulations talk about having a ticket. Does the infant have their own e-ticket? This should be a number, most likely starting with 074 in case of a KLM booking.
KLM quotes -> ticket price is EUR 9;

Ticket was there, hence, EC261/2004 compensation is due;
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:41 am
Original Poster

KLM are leaving me no other option than going the legal route, certainly after sending me another message ending with this gem:

KLM niet meer zal ingaan op een volgende correspondentie over dit onderwerp
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfkne
KLM are leaving me no other option than going the legal route, certainly after sending me another message ending with this gem:
Go for it.

Sooner or later they will be compelled to respond to "een correspondentie".

Johan
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Would really go for legal action yourself?
I would approach one of these claim companies. If they see a succes of this. You could outsource it to them... lot of hassle can be taken out of your hands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.