Travelling with a dog of 8.5 kg

Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Yes
Travelling with a dog of 8.5 kg

Hi there,

We're planning to travel with our medium poodle who weighs around 8,5 kg which is heavier than what is allowed. Do3s anyone have any experience how they handle situations like this? Since it is only exceeding the weight rules with half a kilogram (+ the carrier I guess) I imagine they should be understanding with it, right?

Best regards,

André
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Whatever answer you may get here, only the carrier will decide at the end. So if you want to take the risk to face a refusal at check-in and all your trip ruined in an instant because you don’t have the cage with you to put the dog in the hold, that’s your decision but I would not take the risk.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Your pet exceeds the weight limit for being carried in the cabin and will therefore need to be carried in the hold, or sent as cargo.

Note also that pets cannot be carried in the World Business Class cabin; the pet has to be carried in a carrier and stowed under the seat in front of you and this is simply not possible in WBC.

https://blog.klm.com/flying-with-dog...-and-your-dog/

https://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/pre...pets/index.htm

You should also carefully check the requirements for bringing an animal into the country you are visiting. Travel to any of the following will prove difficult, if not impossible:
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 6, 2019 at 10:02 am
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:22 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Andre Vigh
I imagine they should be understanding with it, right?
Unfortunately thats not how this generally works. And even if you would succeed, it would be by exception...so the chance of not succeeding is there as well. Would you be prepared for an alternative approach if it turns out that they will not allow it?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: FB Club 2000, M&M Hon
Hi there,

We're planning to travel with our medium poodle who weighs around 8,5 kg which is heavier than what is allowed. Do3s anyone have any experience how they handle situations like this? Since it is only exceeding the weight rules with half a kilogram (+ the carrier I guess) I imagine they should be understanding with it, right?

Best regards,

André
1.. It will be 8,5 kg + carrier, which will be more than the 8 kg allowed
2. If KLM would allow 0,5 kg more, why not 1 kg, 2 kg?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:37 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Lightbulb

Hi there,

We're planning to travel with our medium poodle
check also if this dog is in the authorised list , cause many people don't know that airlines may have different policies regarding dogs and pets

Originally Posted by tgv2
1.. It will be 8,5 kg + carrier, which will be more than the 8 kg allowed
i thoughts limits were with carrier included . Correct or not ?

Originally Posted by tgv2
2. If KLM would allow 0,5 kg more, why not 1 kg, 2 kg?
its question of luck , but the limit is the limit
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by fifty_two
i thoughts limits were with carrier included . Correct or not ?
The 8kg limit applies to the entire piece - dog plus carrier.

Originally Posted by fifty_two
its question of luck , but the limit is the limit
Luck might apply to a regular piece of luggage, but not to a live animal. The OP should not expect an animal that already is over the weight limit to be allowed on board.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Since the dog is «around the weight limit»: Feed the dog a little less the week before. No water on flight day. Problem solved.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.