FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Why are tickets KLM in holland 50% more expensive then in Sweden or Denmark ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/1981680-why-tickets-klm-holland-50-more-expensive-then-sweden-denmark.html)

rooncapone Aug 5, 2019 9:34 am

Why are tickets KLM in holland 50% more expensive then in Scandinavia ?

I'd like to fly from AMS tot KLU direct by KLM

KLM offers now flights from Sweden (for example) to Kuala Lumpur v.v. 447,-
(you fly then form OSL->AMS->KLU)

If i choose to book the tickets from Amsterdam (AMS) to Kuale Lumpur v.v. i have to pay 680,-

Why is a ticket AMS-KUL 233 euro more expensive than tickets OSL-AMS-KUL v.v. ????
Flight AMS-KUL vv. is by the same plane and same company.

Why do KLM use this policy and way of campaign ?

Ditto Aug 5, 2019 9:58 am

Most airlines do, as otherwise connecting flights would not be attractive.
In the same way, if you fly AMS-CDG-KLU with AF, or AMS-FRA/MUC/XXX-KLU with any *A airline it will be cheaper.

irishguy28 Aug 5, 2019 10:17 am

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a tip: if you want to fly for the cheapest amount on AMS-KUL, look at an airline that doesn't fly the route directly. Looks like, on most dates, Emirates or Turkish Airlines is your cheapest option - see below

It would be a very customer-friendly world if the routes that were served directly were also the cheapest options. Not only would passengers spend the least amount of time in transit, but they would also be getting the cheapest fare.

For airlines that don't serve a route directly, they have to compete on price in order to try and lure enough customers away from any direct options that might be on offer. (In the case of OSL-KUL there are none, but the principle still stands. To make your longer, connecting itinerary look better, you need to reduce the price).

All airlines do this. Customers that want the quickest connection will book the direct flight, no matter the cost. Therefore, direct flights can have higher prices, because there are people who will pay "extra" for the convenience. Customers that are not so concerned about speed, but want the best value, will instead look at less attractive tickets, i.e. ones that require one or more stops and that take much longer. The only way to get customers to consider these flights is to offer them cheaper than the corresponding direct flight would cost.

AMS-KUL, March 2020
only one direct option (KLM, €718, also purchasable as a MH codeshare)
Cheaper 1-stop options available on Turkish, Malaysia Airlines, Emirates, Cathay Pacific, Etihad, China Southern, China Airlines, British Airways and Singapore Airways.

MSPeconomist Aug 5, 2019 10:20 am

Originally Posted by rooncapone (Post 31381473)
I'd like to fly from AMS tot KLU direct by KLM

If i choose to book the tickets from Amsterdam (AMS) to Kuale Lumpur v.v. i have to pay 680,-

Why is a ticket AMS-KUL 233 euro more expensive than tickets OSL-AMS-KUL v.v. ????
Flight AMS-KUL vv. is by the same plane and same company.

Why do KLM use this policy and way of campaign ?

The short answer it that it's a different market and price elasticities are different.

Solevita Aug 5, 2019 10:22 am

Originally Posted by rooncapone (Post 31381473)

Has Sweden conquered Norway and I've missed the news?

johan rebel Aug 5, 2019 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Solevita (Post 31381667)
Has Sweden conquered Norway and I've missed the news?

Nah . . . in spite of what they told everyone, the union was just never dissolved in 1905. They've managed to keep it a secret all these years!

Johan

Meneer Guggenheimer Aug 5, 2019 11:48 am

Because KLM wants us to fly less... so more people can fly to AMS to catch a cheap flight to the other side of the world...

If airlines want to save the planet... direct flights should be cheaper then connecting....

(just imaging how much flights that would save from AMS and LHR and vice versa...)

EricVdb Aug 5, 2019 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer (Post 31382027)
If airlines want to save the planet... direct flights should be cheaper then connecting....

(just imaging how much flights that would save from AMS and LHR and vice versa...)

Airlines also want to keep existing. If KLM offers more expensive flights from sweden than from Amsterdam, what swede would choose KLM over a direct flight?
In the end there Will be no transfer flights and KLM will only fly the few Dutch..

(And this would apply to every airline)

Besides that, it will drastically up the price or reduce the destinations smaller countries/regions have. Without a transfer flights, a direct flight will be more expensive as that is probably the only option, or there will be no options at all since the number of local passengers is too small to fill a long haul plane.

rooncapone Aug 5, 2019 11:29 pm

Your Right Meneer Guggenheimer.....
So i thought that the direct flights from AMS should be more cheaper
Now ik get a flight OSL-AMS for free.....

I doubt to 1st go Oslo by buying a single ticket, then take the other flight (only with handluguage)

rooncapone Aug 5, 2019 11:31 pm

You absolutely right.... never been in scandinavia
So Sweden and Norway looks te same for me....

Reload Aug 6, 2019 12:04 am

Ah, the wonderful, convoluted and nonsensical world of airline pricing! I have a flight next year to SJO in J; from AMS €2500pp, from DUS via AMS €2800pp, from ARN via AMS €1500pp.

Nope, I don't understand it either but happily do a cheap positioning flight from AMS to ARN, fly more pay less

miklcct Aug 6, 2019 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Reload (Post 31384109)
Ah, the wonderful, convoluted and nonsensical world of airline pricing! I have a flight next year to SJO in J; from AMS €2500pp, from DUS via AMS €2800pp, from ARN via AMS €1500pp.

Nope, I don't understand it either but happily do a cheap positioning flight from AMS to ARN, fly more pay less

I will be happy to do a cheap positioning flight is the difference in total mileage is similar, but I will never do a positioning flight in the opposite direction to my destination, and no one can me do a positioning flight which will eventually fly me back to the origin. Under your circumstances there is NO WAY I will position from AMS to ARN to only connect back to AMS, even if the ARN - AMS - SJO is free. Instead I will choose other routing (a cheaper non-direct flight from AMS-SVO with similar total mileage, e.g. connect via the U.K. or the eastern U.S.), or a lower class of service on the direct flight).

Originally Posted by EricVdb (Post 31382907)
Airlines also want to keep existing. If KLM offers more expensive flights from sweden than from Amsterdam, what swede would choose KLM over a direct flight?
In the end there Will be no transfer flights and KLM will only fly the few Dutch..

(And this would apply to every airline)

Besides that, it will drastically up the price or reduce the destinations smaller countries/regions have. Without a transfer flights, a direct flight will be more expensive as that is probably the only option, or there will be no options at all since the number of local passengers is too small to fill a long haul plane.

It is always possible to transfer by paying the price of two direct flights. In a free competition market, prices will eventually get down to the cost, and a transfer is always cost more than a direct flight.

Reload Aug 6, 2019 5:09 am

Originally Posted by miklcct (Post 31384530)
I will be happy to do a cheap positioning flight is the difference in total mileage is similar, but I will never do a positioning flight in the opposite direction to my destination, and no one can me do a positioning flight which will eventually fly me back to the origin. Under your circumstances there is NO WAY I will position from AMS to ARN to only connect back to AMS, even if the ARN - AMS - SJO is free. Instead I will choose other routing (a cheaper non-direct flight from AMS-SVO with similar total mileage, e.g. connect via the U.K. or the eastern U.S.), or a lower class of service on the direct flight).

Appreciated, I was just trying to illustrate the random pricing that airlines do where flying more will potentially cost you a lot less. Ultimately it's up to the individual as to whether the cost difference is worth the extra time.

Ditto Aug 6, 2019 5:10 am

How does the direction of the positioning flight matter? You end up flying 2 unnecessary segments, one of them will have to take you further away from the destination of your travel.
If which airline you fly is of no importance then indeed it might be easier to simply use a different airline from your origin to your destination.

irishguy28 Aug 6, 2019 6:08 am

It is always possible to transfer by paying the price of two direct flights. In a free competition market, prices will eventually get down to the cost, and a transfer is always cost more than a direct flight.

Except that, in airline pricing, flights with a transfer are very often cheaper than a direct flight.