Refund Query

Old Jul 30, 19, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Refund Query

Hi Iím hoping someone can help me! I booked a ticket via KLM a few weeks ago and a few hours later, I cancelled it (within the 24 hour policy), due to there being a better option elsewhere & the fact their website stated they offer a refund.

Today, Iíve received a part refund? Not my full amount. Has anyone else had this issue? Their website is a bit misleading and so was their customer service, as this was not mentioned to me

Anyone else had this?
Old Jul 30, 19, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by pandaloverx View Post

Today, I’ve received a part refund? Not my full amount.
Can you be more specific?

The booking fee/credit card fee (if any), for instance, is not refunded.
Old Jul 30, 19, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Can you be more specific?

The booking fee/credit card fee (if any), for instance, is not refunded.
the ticket was £497, and is to the US, I received a refund of £282 today and the email said itís a part refund and that some taxes are non refundable but the website doesnít explain this unless Iím missing it!
Old Jul 30, 19, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pandaloverx View Post

the ticket was £497, and is to the US, I received a refund of £282 today and the email said itís a part refund and that some taxes are non refundable but the website doesnít explain this unless Iím missing it!
Pick up the phone and query the amount.

To avoid any further miscomprehension, alert the agent to the fact that you cancelled within the 24-hour window.

And please report back!
Old Jul 30, 19, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The starting point is a call with very specific questions. If you do not understand something, have it repeated.

What are the taxes KL claims are not refundable? We need specifics.
Old Jul 30, 19, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Thank you, Iím sorry for not being so clear earlier, so frustrated. I tried phoning and the agent stated Iím only due £282 refund and I asked why and he said heíd check with a colleague then the line went dead, havent been able to get back through but Iíll try later, Iíve sent emails too but have added up the amount that was refunded to me and it is the carrier imposed surcharge, passenger service charge, transportation tax, US customs fees that they have refunded me but it does not mention anything about the remainder of my ticket cost. Hopefully will get to the bottom of it soon
Old Jul 30, 19, 10:02 am

It sounds as if they only refunded the taxes and not the actual ticket cost?
You mentioned that you applied for a refund 'within the 24hr policy', but could it be that your ticket wasn't eligible for that? How was it booked? In which country and where was the first flight from?
Old Jul 30, 19, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
You mentioned that you applied for a refund 'within the 24hr policy', but could it be that your ticket wasn't eligible for that?
All KLM tickets are, now.

24 hour cancellation after booking?

How was it booked? In which country and where was the first flight from?
Given that the prices have been quoted in GBP, it would seem a safe bet that the flights depart from the UK.
Attached Images    
Old Jul 30, 19, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
All KLM tickets are, now.
24 hour cancellation after booking?
Given that the prices have been quoted in GBP, it would seem a safe bet that the flights depart from the UK.
Booking through klm.com yes, but booking through other channels might not be the same.
Old Jul 30, 19, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booking through klm.com yes, but booking through other channels might not be the same.
It appears that the OP did buy direct from KLM (“I booked a ticket via KLM”) but indeed, if booked elsewhere, there is no 24 hour cancellation unless the agency/website involved has a similar policy.
Old Jul 31, 19, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
There have been multiple threads with various assertions. But I believe that this 24h policy used to depend on the country where you buy the tickets. We know that it is the case in US and Canada. Some other airlines, like BA and now KL, do it worlwide but I was not aware that AF or KL was also doing it worldwide, except for "some" customers. Some travel agencies do it for all bookings, so they must have contracted it with AF and others.

If anyone has an official source for AF, like it now exists for KL, not hearsay or a "call agent told me", please give the link.

Last edited by brunos; Jul 31, 19 at 6:27 am
Old Jul 31, 19, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
There have been multiple threads with various assertions. But I believe that this 24h policy used to depend on the country where you buy the tickets. We know that it is the case in US and Canada. Some other airlines, like BA and now KL, do it worlwide but I was not aware that AF or KL was also doing it worldwide, except for "some" customers. Some travel agencies do it for all bookings, so they must have contracted it with AF and others.

If anyone has an official source for AF, like it now exists for KL, not hearsay or a "call agent told me", please give the link.
I agree. And I am not aware of such a policy for AF in France.
Old Jul 31, 19, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post

I agree. And I am not aware of such a policy for AF in France.
The Air France website indicates that cancellations are possible within 24 hours.

If payment was effected by bank transfer, they won't process the transaction until after the following midnight, so a same-day cancellation means there is no money taken from the account. If cancelled the following day, but within 24 hours, the money will have been taken, but will be refunded minus any non-refundable service charge.

Note that this is from the French country (English language) website:

https://www.airfrance.fr/cgi-bin/AF/...BOOKING_REFUND

I've looked on other country website (DE, CH, ES, IT, BE, LU, IE*, DK, NO) and all have the same or similar text; I therefore surmise if it is possible throughout Europe. I checked a handful of African nations too (CM, GH, EG, CG) and the same page and text are also present - so I suspect that any ticket bought on any AF website (or ticket office) worldwide can be cancelled within 24 hours without penalty.

*IE has a slightly different procedure for the 24-hour cancellation than the other countries checked.
Attached Images  
Goldorak likes this.
Old Aug 1, 19, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Thanks Irishguy28. Very useful.

The website in French only has the English version. A bit weird. It might suggest that this is a recent change that has not been translated in French.
Old Aug 1, 19, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Thanks Irishguy28. Very useful.

The website in French only has the English version. A bit weird. It might suggest that this is a recent change that has not been translated in French.
Yes; I found the page initially via a Google search, and can't actually find any way of navigating to those pages from within the AF website itself.

I would caution against relying on a 24-hour cancellation policy; perhaps it is something AF offers, upon request and without actually drawing attention to, due to the fact that such policies are (apparently) required in the US, which then leads to grief when such customers expecting the feature run into grief when booking in parts of the world where it's a no-no.

Search this Thread