How soon can I drop my hold luggage for LHR-AMS flight?

Old Jul 30, 19, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
How soon can I drop my hold luggage for LHR-AMS flight?

Next week I am flying KLM (business class) from LHR to AMS departing at 1915. I will be arriving at LHR at 1330. Will I be able to drop off my hold luggage at this time or will I need to wait until closer to the departure time (I will have already checked in online by the time I arrive at LHR)?
Old Jul 30, 19, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
There will be 4 KLM flights departing for AMS between your arrival at T4 and your scheduled departure.

KLM only officially offers all-day baggage drop off at AMS; their website instead suggests that in Europe, bag drop commences "at least 2 hours prior" to departure.

I'm not sure how willing they would be to take your bag so early at LHR; the fact that you're in business may help.

But why are you not seeking to change your ticket to an earlier flight?
Old Jul 30, 19, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
From my own experience at LHR (with AF, but I don’t see why it would be different with KL as they use the same counters and same ground handling company), they accept the bags only 2hrs before the flight.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 19, 6:29 am

Programs: QF gold, KL gold, MA gold :( SK gold
Yesterday, I had same question to the Sky Priority CI, they accepted 3 hours before the KL flight my hold luggage.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Aug 3, 19, 8:55 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL FB Plat.
Are passengers allowed to use the LHR T4 Fast Track security lane if they are FB Platinum (i.e. SkyPriority on the boarding card) but flying in AF/KL Economy Class?

I booked ages ago a KL flight with a connection in AMS which departs on Friday 23 August - of course that is now one of the potential LHR strike days and the security lanes will be affected. Unfortunately, due to me being at work before flying I could not get an earlier KL flight to give me longer than the 50 miniutes minimum connection time in AMS. I am expecting the strike will happen: my cabin bag will have to be checked-in, security will be packed (either I not allowed to use Fast Track or it'll be closed), I'll miss the KL flight (or it'll be delayed) and then miss my long-haul AMS connection.
Old Aug 3, 19, 10:10 am

Programs: FB platinum
Yes you can use the Fast Track lane. One of the fastest that exists
Old Aug 3, 19, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by lynxy View Post
Yes you can use the Fast Track lane. One of the fastest that exists
Bolding is mine. Really ??? I have apparently very different experiences than yours. First, usually only one lane is open out of the possible 2. Then all the wheelchairs goes through this way and it takes forever for each of those pax (paging G. Clooney in Up in the air ). Finally and this is the worst, I think 2/3 of bags go to secondary and the agent who is taking care of this is always taking her time, which means forever . Itís not unusual having 10 people waiting for the secondary super slow examination.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 5:10 am

Programs: FB platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Bolding is mine. Really ??? I have apparently very different experiences than yours. First, usually only one lane is open out of the possible 2. Then all the wheelchairs goes through this way and it takes forever for each of those pax (paging G. Clooney in Up in the air ). Finally and this is the worst, I think 2/3 of bags go to secondary and the agent who is taking care of this is always taking her time, which means forever . Itís not unusual having 10 people waiting for the secondary super slow examination.
Wow, indeed, it seems we have very different experiences I can't say that I'm a regular flyer there, but I used it a couple times over the years and it was always a breeeze! Almost no one in front of me, nice agents, no secondary for any of my bags (so I can't say anything about that). Maybe I'm just passing outside of rush hours each time?
Old Aug 4, 19, 9:33 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
At LHR T4 I can't say I have significantly been helt up by bags going to secondary. But, it is crowded at times. Wheelchair pax and just a large number of elite pax, plus only one of the two checkpoints being open can cause a 10-20 minute wait at times.

One time the line for the priority stretched almost until the BP scan which is halfway the corridor to the security checkpoint. Took probably 20 minutes or more to get through there.

One thing I do like at LHR is that they have a combined metal detector and full body scan. Only if the metal detector goes off you'll need to do the body scan. As long as pax are familiar with this system its very fast.
Old Aug 5, 19, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
. Finally and this is the worst, I think 2/3 of bags go to secondary and the agent who is taking care of this is always taking her time, which means forever . It’s not unusual having 10 people waiting for the secondary super slow examination.
One could think you are describing AMS airport and not LHR here

Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
One thing I do like at LHR is that they have a combined metal detector and full body scan. Only if the metal detector goes off you'll need to do the body scan. As long as pax are familiar with this system its very fast.
That's stupid system IMO, I much rather go into the body scan as then I can keep my belt/watch on etc.
Old Aug 5, 19, 11:14 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
That's stupid system IMO, I much rather go into the body scan as then I can keep my belt/watch on etc.
You can still do that. Just keep the stuff on and take a pose for the body scan

Search this Thread