FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Train/Flight problems with KLM (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/1980698-train-flight-problems-klm.html)

gabrielschenker Jul 29, 2019 4:06 pm

Train/Flight problems with KLM

Hi all, I'm new here...
I just had an awful situation with KLM who ....ed up my train segment of the journey. I have sent them the message bellow.
Does any of you have similar experiences or have any sort of suggestions to make on how to handle this case?
I thank you beforehand,
Gabriel

"We arrived at the Air&Rail terminal at Brussels midi on the day of our travel, July 9th, around 1h30 in advance (KL2962 ZYR-AMS 08:52-10:25). The person at the desk said she was "having problems with the software" and after having us wait for almost half an hour, sent us to try and solve the problem by going straight to the SNCB international desk. After a 30 minutes wait, they told me they could not find our reservation even with the KLM reservation code. I went back to the Air&Rail, already very stressed as the train was leaving soon. Another person tried to solve the problem without success. I asked her what to do, she did not know.
We decided to go to the train and explain the situation to the train manager, otherwise we would miss our flight to Rio. The train manager was very understanding, mentioned that such problems often happened with KLM, and produced us a handwritten boarding pass (attached) to make sure we managed to board our plane claiming that KLM not only often messed up the train reservations, they also often denied boarding to passengers that could not show proof that they boarded the train. I spent the train trip stressing over the phone and whatsapp, communicating with KLM trying to make sure that we would be able to board the plane and that we would not have the same problem on the way back. I was assured by whatsapp that with the boarding pass produced by the train manager we would be able to board the plane (KL0705 AMS-GIG 12:45). I was assured by phone that we shouldn't have a problem on the way back. After all the morning stress, we at least managed to board the plane without further issues.

What was not my surprise on the way back, after a long flight from Brazil (KL0706 GIG-AMS 21:55), that the exact same problem happened, this time in Amsterdam. We went to the international train ticket desk and the person told us that while she could find our names (picture attached), KLM had not done a reservation for us in the train they've sold us. She directed us to the KLM desk number 16 to try and solve the problem. After some waiting, I spoke to a gentleman that produced a printed confirmation that we were scheduled to board the train (something I already had in my KLM app and e-mail) claiming that it was up to the train office to put us in the train. I explained that we had the same situation on the first part of the trip and that I was assured by the KLM staff that I would not have the same problem upon returning. I also reminded him that I bought my travels at KLM and not the train company so it was up to KLM to take responsibility and try to fix the problem, instead of just sending me (and my family) back down to solve their mess. I also told him that the lady from the international train ticket office said that they could not do anything with the KLM reservation code or ticket number as they had a different system. The gentleman from the KLM said "that is bs" and sent me back down saying that was all KLM could do for me. Once again at the international ticket office, I talked to the same lady that tried to contact someone from the KLM directly, all the time saying that these troubles often happened with KLM. We could not wait anymore as our train was departing, we boarded the train (KL2977 AMS-ZYR july 28th 15:34). The train manager was as understanding, also mentioned regular such complications with KLM, and made us pay two train tickets and have us travel in the corridor as the train, on which I had reserved and paid three tickets through KLM months beforehand, was apparently full.

I attach the train tickets bought on the train.
Apart from the refund for the extra ticket, I expect a reasonable compensation for the stress caused, for having to run up and down train stations with my partner and small child twice to try and solve the problems between KLM, the company I paid, and the train companies, as well as for having had to travel without a proper seat. "

chgoeditor Jul 29, 2019 8:01 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk. We have a dedicated KLM forum, and I'll move your post there, where you're likely to get the best responses.

chgoeditor
co-mod, Info Desk

glennhaak Jul 30, 2019 2:03 am

Originally Posted by gabrielschenker (Post 31356379)
Hi all, I'm new here...

I just had an awful situation with KLM who ....ed up my train segment of the journey.
Apart from the refund for the extra ticket, I expect a reasonable compensation for the stress caused, for having to run up and down train stations with my partner and small child twice to try and solve the problems between KLM, the company I paid, and the train companies, as well as for having had to travel without a proper seat. "

Welcome to FT Gabriel!

Your situation has been most unfortunate, and I'd expect KLM to reimburse you for the two tickets you had to pay, maybe throw in a few miles as a goodwill gesture but not for "stress caused" by talking to a few different people who you had to walk to. It is The Netherlands, there are more than one train per day to ZYR so imho it was unnecessary for you to have stress...

gabrielschenker Aug 5, 2019 4:43 am

I just got a letter from KLM that they will "reimburse" me 13.20 EUR!!! They are nuts!
Anyone has a lawyer or a clear course of action to recommend?
I just wrote them "Hi,
I just got a letter from Airfrance, from the Refunds Department that I will be refunded 13.20EUR. This, as you know, makes absolutely no sense. Once again, I had to pay 214EUR for the train I had already paid to KLM and travel in the corridor with a three year old. This does not cover either refund nor compensation.
I wait a serious reply from your side before launching legal proceedings.
Have a nice day,
Gabriel Schenker"

Any help is most welcome!