New 737 Interior

Old Jul 22, 19, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
New 737 Interior

Today I flew ATH-AMS on a brand new 737-800 (PH-BCK) which features not only the new luggage bins and sky lighting...it also has totally new/different seats. I havent seen much/anything about these here on FT yet so I thought to post my review.

Lets start with the good. The luggage bins are much larger, similar to the B777 bins. They allow to store the troleys sideways..so theoretically that makes it possible to store quite a few more of them. The seats have adjustable headrests (adjustable in height & the sides are foldable), sturdy traytables, coat hanger, and a separate pocket for magazines. There's also a USB power plug at every seat.

This flight was, including boarding time and delayed departure, over 4 hrs in length. I was seated in EC with the middle seat free and that was fairly comfortable overall. Though less comfortable than the old seats.

While I cannot prove it, my impression is that the seating surface is shorter than it was before. The last 10cm of my legs were basically not being supported by the seat. Maybe that has always been the case, but I noticed it and the seat felt 'short' to me. The seat pitch in EC was good.

Back support is less good than what it was in my opinion. They are slimline seats, and even though there does seem to be some lumbar support - I found the old seats slightly more comfortable.

Another thing I REALLY do not like is the armrest. They have been made much slimmer than before, and shorter in length. If you thought you had to fight for them before, now they are even borderline uncomfortable if you do manage to get both of them for yourself. I don't think they can be shared with your neighbour any more. This may be fine for short flights, but for me personally good arm support is important - especially if you are in the aircraft for 4+ hours. This I consider the largest downside of the new interior to be quite honest.

Have others flown these new aircraft with the new interior? What are your experiences?

Some impressions:

Oh and if you thought you had privacy in business...not any more.

irishguy28 and fifty_two like this.

Last edited by Xandrios; Jul 22, 19 at 3:57 pm
Old Jul 22, 19, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
Though less comfortable than the old seats.
I've yet to have the pleasure, but that's fully in line with my expectations.

Seats are getting less comfortable with every new generation. It is all about saving weight and space these days, passenger comfort is at best an afterthought.

But hey, who knows . . . maybe these seats are less likely to kill you in a crash. On the other hand, the more weight in the luggage bins right above your head . . .

Johan
Old Jul 23, 19, 1:25 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
Looks not too dissimilar to the slimline seats they had on the Fokkers, especially the armrest part.
Old Jul 23, 19, 2:43 am

I had the (dis)pleasure to fly in a 737 with these seats between Madrid and Amsterdam.

I really liked the headrest, especially since I had the feeling that it could be moved higher than those on most seats. Given the fact that I am quite tall (1.95m) this is one of the few seats were I can actually use the headrest as a headrest instead of a neck rest. However, the legroom with this new interior (regular economy) was just horrible. I literally couldn't fit my legs between the seats if I was sitting straight. My knees hurt after the flight, because whenever the person in front of me moved the seat also moved a bit, causing it to bump into my knees. Legroom isn't that great in the old interior, but at least it isn't this bad.

If more and more KLM 737's are converted to this interior I might start avoiding KLM short haul in favor of AF or even Ryanair or Easyjet. The legroom there might not be better at the last two, but at least they charge you less for the same (lack of) space. Luckily I will be FB platinum soon, so I hope EC is a bit better in this regard.
Old Jul 23, 19, 3:00 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Gold
Recently flew FCO-AMS with these seats. They felt a bit harder, but I too appreciate the headrest.

I noticed that the tray table was significantly smaller. While on the older 737s (not to speak about Embrearers), I can place my laptop with enough space to place a cup of coffee or water behind it. This one was barely enough to put the laptop on, there was no additional space for anything extra.

Also, the USB charger did not work, but I was told by the FA that electricity in the USB plugs was 'not turned on yet' [whatever that meant]
Old Jul 23, 19, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by ok986 View Post
Also, the USB charger did not work, but I was told by the FA that electricity in the USB plugs was 'not turned on yet' [whatever that meant]
Submit a complaint, I usually get some kind of compensation when I do this when something isn't working or priority boarding is not available. This usually works when I mention that I paid for a service that is mentioned when booking/buying the ticket, would be good to check if they mention the USB chargers when booking the flight.
Old Jul 23, 19, 3:49 am

They were working for me two weeks ago so this must be a lame excuse from the FA..
Old Jul 23, 19, 4:16 am

Programs: FB Plat
What about the "natural" recline of these new seats? Although I have always appreciated the free EC seat with increased pitch for STE+, on the other hand I kept finding the recline a bit weird on KL...
Old Jul 23, 19, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by Porcepic View Post
What about the "natural" recline of these new seats? Although I have always appreciated the free EC seat with increased pitch for STE+, on the other hand I kept finding the recline a bit weird on KL...
I suspect that these seats do not recline....
Old Jul 23, 19, 4:33 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
TBH, I find the current generation more comfortable than the old generation. For me the thick ummoveable headrest was a very uncomfortable lump at shoulder height which made lumbar support non-existent, except when weirdly hunching forward. Also, the fact that the current seats turned out a lot thinner gave me a feeling of a bit more space. Now, with this new generation, it seems they took it a step too far, the earlier report about hurting knees is not a good sign, I am 197. Will report back once Iíve tried them.
Old Jul 23, 19, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
I suspect that these seats do not recline....
They do recline, however I have not personally tried it. I don't like to recline myself on such flights, and thoroughly hate it if the person in front of me does it. If it were up to me the recline function would be removed from all short haul aircraft.

There is a virtual tour available for the new aircraft:
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=sDK5zmumMZY

And the old regular 737:
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=SbvHCJHPMMM
irishguy28, Zembla and Carel1 like this.
Old Jul 23, 19, 5:57 pm

Programs: FB Gold, HH Silver
Recently flew FCO-AMS with these seats. They felt a bit harder, but I too appreciate the headrest.

I noticed that the tray table was significantly smaller. While on the older 737s (not to speak about Embrearers), I can place my laptop with enough space to place a cup of coffee or water behind it. This one was barely enough to put the laptop on, there was no additional space for anything extra.

I think the FA meant that it was not enabled until after take-off. The power supply is a manually enabled and disabled by the cabin crew at their cabin control terminal (powering the lights, telephone/intercom etc).
Old Jul 24, 19, 2:01 am

Programs: FB Plat
My post was not that clear but what I meant is that I have always found KL seats on the "old" 737s seem reclined even when they are not, which make the seated position not so comfortable. From what can be seen on pictures, new seats seem to be more upright.
Old Jul 24, 19, 5:34 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
I like the current seats, probably due to their relatively reclined position and the fact they are slimline. I am 190 and still can stretch my legs under the seat in front of me, that is crucial for me. I don't like upright seats like of AirAsia (which, admittedly, also have lower pitch). Since also the new 737-800s will have 186 seats like the current ones, I wonder why KLM has chosen seats that have the drawbacks reported (apart from the advantage of the better headrests and USB ports).
Old Jul 24, 19, 6:56 am

Programs: FB Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by atflyer View Post
I like the current seats, probably due to their relatively reclined position and the fact they are slimline. I am 190 and still can stretch my legs under the seat in front of me, that is crucial for me. I don't like upright seats like of AirAsia (which, admittedly, also have lower pitch). Since also the new 737-800s will have 186 seats like the current ones, I wonder why KLM has chosen seats that have the drawbacks reported (apart from the advantage of the better headrests and USB ports).
As suggested above, most likely in order to save weight.

Search this Thread