Took a stroll round the various Schiphol terminals

Old Jul 22, 19, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Took a stroll round the various Schiphol terminals

My good lady and I had 6 hours to shove in at Schiphol today between flights so rather than go for the free food and drink in the lounge straight away, we decided to walk round all the various terminal.

Ended up doing all the walking we could do without having to go through security again. Did both the Schengen and non Schengen terminals (passport control twice) and we were very surprised at the numbers at the end. We walked for a total of 2 hours 22 minutes, did 14,974 steps and a total of 10.48 km. Been at Schiphol numerous times but never realised how physically big it is.

Now time for a beer.

Xizm, Zembla, psollitt and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 19, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every time I spend a night at the Mercure I take a walk to the end of the G concourse, from there via F and E to the end of D, and then back to the Mercure. Takes me just under an hour, but I'm a very fast walker.

Late evening the airport goes from passenger to maintenance mode, which gives one an interesting perspective on what it takes to keep the show running.

Johan
Zembla and Thysk like this.
Old Jul 23, 19, 3:56 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I think it's a great airport to walk around and that is exactly the sort of thing I would do (have done in the past, but not so thoroughly). It is a great airport and quite well laid out, I think, although some walks between connections can be long and time consuming. One nice touch is a little outpost of the Rijks Museum in the non Schengen part (I think), which you can visit for free. If you go landside there's quite a good observation platform and a cafe/bar as well as a self service cafeteria restaurant (if they are still there).
Old Jul 23, 19, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
If you go landside there's quite a good observation platform
The panorama terrace has been closed for some time now, due to the construction works, and likely won't re-open until next year:

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/see-...anes-up-close/
Old Jul 23, 19, 4:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
I think it's a great airport to walk around and that is exactly the sort of thing I would do (have done in the past, but not so thoroughly). It is a great airport and quite well laid out, I think, although some walks between connections can be long and time consuming. One nice touch is a little outpost of the Rijks Museum in the non Schengen part (I think), which you can visit for free. If you go landside there's quite a good observation platform and a cafe/bar as well as a self service cafeteria restaurant (if they are still there).
There's also the landside shopping mall as you walk toward the train station. You can walk indoors to the Sheraton (and Hilton IIRC) or outside to the Citizen M, with most of the path being sheltered from rain.
Old Jul 23, 19, 4:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
There's a lil' roof airside, near the D-gates too, I think.
Old Jul 23, 19, 4:55 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I quite like the Albert Heijn convenience store too, just after coming out of arrivals. You can get a decent coffee there for €1,50 (but you do need some Euro change). Albert Heijn is a supermarket chain found all over the Netherlands, which is pretty good because many seem to stay open at unsocial hours.

https://www.ah.nl/
Old Jul 23, 19, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform View Post
There's a lil' roof airside, near the D-gates too, I think.
Yep, at the beginning of the concourse on the northern side, upper (Schengen) level.

Speaking of D, last time I arrived at a D-gate on a Schengen flight, the doors to the lower non-Schengen level stood wide open.

Johan
arjen05 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 19, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
Speaking of D, last time I arrived at a D-gate on a Schengen flight, the doors to the lower non-Schengen level stood wide open.
There's more than one set of doors to pass through to get from upstairs to downstairs. Did you venture down to see if they were all open?
Old Jul 23, 19, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
There's more than one set of doors to pass through to get from upstairs to downstairs. Did you venture down to see if they were all open?
I exited the jetway downstairs, and went straight up the stairs in front of me to the upper Schengen level. The doors on my left before going up those stairs were wide open, there was nothing between me and the passengers I could see on the other side.

Johan

Search this Thread