Wiki Posts
Search

Baby on board

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum
Baby on board

This appeared in one of my feeds (no pun intended). Being picked up by the English language media too, so KLM can expect some escalation.

https://www.parool.nl/nederland/klm-...ding~be4fcbaa/
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Praise the Lord if the news is widely spread and all families with babies choose to fly other airlines. That would definitely increase my willingness to fly KLM if it guarantees me red-eye flights without babies.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Victor88
This appeared in one of my feeds (no pun intended). Being picked up by the English language media too, so KLM can expect some escalation.

https://www.parool.nl/nederland/klm-...ding~be4fcbaa/
And in conjunction with this FlyerTalk rule - that it should not be necessary to click away from FlyerTalk in order to understand the reason why the link was posted without context - the article relates to a passenger who claims that a member of KLM cabin crew informed her that she had to cover herself (entirely) with a blanket on a SFO-AMS flight when breastfeeding her infant.

The following was posted by the passenger in question to KLM's Facebook (which, apparently, flyertalk won't allow me to post a link to - do a "quote" on my post if you want to see the URL right here:
:

Here's a warning to all breastfeeding moms: do NOT fly with KLM! A month ago, I was flying with my one year old on a KLM flight from San Francisco to Amsterdam. It was the third flight I'd been on with her. I breastfeed her. It calms her and helps her sleep and makes her comfortable. She's also a busy toddler who doesn't like to be covered. I do my best to be discreet, but sometimes some skin shows. Before we even took off, I was approached by a flight attendant carrying a blanket. She told me (and I quote) "if you want to continue doing the breastfeeding, you need to cover yourself." I told her no, my daughter doesn't like to be covered up. That would upset her almost as much as not breastfeeding her at all. She then warned me that if anyone complained, it would be my issue to deal with (no one complained. On any of the flights I took with my daughter. Actually, no one has ever complained to me about breastfeeding in public. Except this flight attendant). The rest of this flight, that flight attendant would not so much as look me in the eyes. I felt extremely uncomfortable and disrespected. When we arrived home, I issued a complaint to KLM. I was told that I needed to be respectful of people of other cultures and that this flight attendant's response was in line with company policy. So instead of standing up for and protecting breastfeeding mothers and our children, already under the duress faced by flying with our young children, KLM would rather hold up antiquated values that shame women's bodies.

It took me a long time to write this, because I've never received such a negative response to taking care of my child. I hope that everyone considering a flight with their breastfed child can choose an airline that will respect bodily autonomy and a right to take care of our children the best way we know how.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
If you don't like crying babies on board... it's not good news for you. Shaming and humiliating mothers is not going to help the baby feel calm.

The story was also covered on the guardian, here:
https://www.theguardian.com/business...xpect-cover-up

The airline's statement:
We would like to emphasise that breastfeeding is permitted on KLM flights. However, we strive to ensure that all of our passengers of all backgrounds feel comfortable onboard.

Backwards, spineless, and sure to backfire. Not what I expect from Dutch social standards.

My favorite part of the article:
One doctor tweeted: “I find it uncomfortable and offensive when people chew with their mouths open, infinitely more so than breastfeeding. Can you cover up the heads of passengers who do so with a blanket? Thanks!”
roberino, rickg523 and JournoFlyer like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
If you don't like crying babies on board... it's not good news for you.
Who does like this?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Nobody

Hence why this is not a great tactical move from the airline, imho!
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
KLM should become a baby free airline after this. I read the story and think it is a typical social media over hyped thing the world in the end does not need more off...

Last edited by Meneer Guggenheimer; Jul 18, 2019 at 8:14 am Reason: Added a smiley to emphasise is it meant as a joke!
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
KLM should become a baby free airline after this. I read the story and think it is a typical social media over hyped thing the world in the end does not need more off...
I think your first sentence is an almost perfect example of what your second sentence is complaining about...
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
KLM should become a baby free airline after this.
Or else just leave 'm in their strollers and gate check them. That way they won't cause embarrassment to anybody.

Johan

Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
It's more than likely that someone complained to the FA. Hard place for the crew to be in. Yet another storm in a social media teacup.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:29 am

KLM thinks people of other cultures have a "right" to be offended by breastfeeding and that that "right" supersedes the right of a baby to nutrition? Utterly derisible. Another step in the PC direction that goes too far.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
KLM thinks people of other cultures have a "right" to be offended by breastfeeding and that that "right" supersedes the right of a baby to nutrition?
At no point did KLM indicate the baby could not be fed.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
At no point did KLM indicate the baby could not be fed.
For all the FA knew, the baby could have been EBF. That would mean the baby could not be fed. Not all women who breastfeed carry a breast pump.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
For all the FA knew, the baby could have been EBF. That would mean the baby could not be fed. Not all women who breastfeed carry a breast pump.
Again, at no point did KLM indicate the baby could not be fed.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by caliform
It's more than likely that someone complained to the FA. Hard place for the crew to be in. Yet another storm in a social media teacup.
So instead of having a bit of backbone and dealing with the complainant the FA is passing it on to a breastfeeding mother? Terrible attitude.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.