Baby on board

Old Jul 18, 19, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by JamesKidd View Post
The only one who could be "offended" by it would be someone sitting right next to her. Everyone sitting in front would have to turn their heads around to be "offended". Everyone sitting behind her would also have to make an effort to be "offended". Also, people on the same row as her would have to turn their heads towards her to be "offended". So that's quite an effort to be "offended". If someone did complain to the FA and wasn't sitting right next to her, the FA could have explained to the passenger the amount of effort it would take them to be "offended".
That is your opinion of course, please don't interpret how others might or might not get offended, and they have exactly the same right to get offended as the mom got offended for being asked to cover herself
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 18, 19, 6:27 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Rather than anyone taking offence at the breastfeeding, I'd be far more concerned about a seatmate taking an unwarranted interest in the mom's partial disrobement during feeding.
Agreed. I'm more concern of someone sexualizing a mother nursing - as that is the individual I will keep my eye on for the duration of the flight.
Old Jul 18, 19, 8:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue
The reason why blankets are provided has now made clear!
Old Jul 18, 19, 9:42 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
Arenít many mothers encouraged to BF during takeoff and landing because it helps equalize pressure in the infantís ears and reduces the amount of baby screaming in the cabin?
Old Jul 18, 19, 10:04 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Arenít many mothers encouraged to BF during takeoff and landing because it helps equalize pressure in the infantís ears and reduces the amount of baby screaming in the cabin?
Unless they're told not to for safety reasons...

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8932931.html
Old Jul 19, 19, 12:08 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
his religious beliefs?
Religion is about the worst argument for just about anything. It's someone's choice to believe certain things, and then others are supposed to adjust their life based on that person's choice? Where do you draw the line? In the past people believed (and to date many still do) that people of colour are second or third-rate citizens that were supposed to drink from separate water fountains or sit at the back of the bus - it's just the same BS as religion.

To quote Stephen Fry:

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ....ing what.
Old Jul 19, 19, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by mfkne View Post
Religion is about the worst argument for just about anything. It's someone's choice to believe certain things, and then others are supposed to adjust their life based on that person's choice? Where do you draw the line? In the past people believed (and to date many still do) that people of colour are second or third-rate citizens that were supposed to drink from separate water fountains or sit at the back of the bus - it's just the same BS as religion.
I don't disagree here, my religion is "live and let live", all I'm saying is that IMO those rights have about the same weight as the right of the mom to be offended by the request to cover herself and make a storm out of it
nancypants and glennhaak like this.
Old Jul 19, 19, 3:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
This is all academic. The FA most likely just wanted to keep the peace. That's their number one concern. She probably figured it wouldn't be a big deal to ask the mother and then everyone would be happy. Instead, this caused a roiling 'controversy' (where there really isn't one). 'KLM' didn't do anything, this was just a moment in which no doubt several US pax got all bothered by seeing a nipple, loudly complained, and the FA hoped a small request to the mother would shut them up and let her focus on important tasks. Instead, it blew up in her face.

Should she have told whoever complained to shove it? Sure. But that's not the kind of de-escalating behavior that FAs will typically use. This is still just a minute issue blown out of proportion. In the end, the baby was fed, the pax delivered safely, and some feelings hurt. The world moves on,

Search this Thread