KLM booking Codeshare DL & VS

Old Jul 3, 19, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KE Morning Calm, , FB Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Disc
KLM booking Codeshare DL & VS

1. Flying Blue Silver Booked via KLM, operated by Delta, and Virgin Atlantic. Received KL flight number.
2. Used Delta to check-in, and received Silver Medallion benefits. I know they are both Skyteam.

I have yet to check in for Virgin Atlantic, which is a non-skyteam partner. Will I still receive a complimentary status match through this code-share flight?
I am doubtful as it didn't allow me free extra baggage when booking, unlike Delta's flight, but just want to be sure. Thanks.
Old Jul 3, 19, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
There is no such thing as "complimentary status match". DL systems have always put in their system, the name of the equivalent status in SkyMiles. But you are still FB Silver, nothing more, nothing less.
You shouldn't have SkyP access as VS is not yet a FB partner outside the code-share arrangement, but you can try (no risk). However, you should have your extra bag allowance.
Old Jul 4, 19, 1:53 am

You did not mention if these are connecting flights or separate ones, or if you booked a light or a standard fare.

If they are connecting fligths I believe DL will give you the SM allowance on DL, so if you booked light you would get one bag and if you booked standard you would get two.
If they are separate flights then I would suggest you check your VS reservation on the VS site. If it says light you won't get a bag, if it says classic you would get one. In this case the DoT regulation about the first marketing carrier may cover you but I'm not sure as I'm not too familiar with it.
Old Jul 4, 19, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

I guess I needed to be more clear sorry for any confusion.
Iím taking Delta-operated flight to destination and Virgin-operated flight back home. I donít have Delta membership, but used its app to see that Iím Silver medallion. I am FB silver as I fly for leisure only and mostly international.
I did ďlightĒ which allows carry-on only, but I got 1 free checked baggage through Silver status. I donít see the same for Virgin.
Old Jul 4, 19, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by stevek0202 View Post
I guess I needed to be more clear sorry for any confusion.
Iím taking Delta-operated flight to destination and Virgin-operated flight back home. I donít have Delta membership, but used its app to see that Iím Silver medallion. I am FB silver as I fly for leisure only and mostly international.
I did ďlightĒ which allows carry-on only, but I got 1 free checked baggage through Silver status. I donít see the same for Virgin.
Try to check your reservation on the VS site. It should state "economy light" or "economy classic. Even though you booked light with KLM they may still have put you in classic with VS, which would give you a bag for the return flight.
Old Jul 5, 19, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
I donít have Delta membership, but used its app to see that Iím Silver medallion. I am FB silver as I fly for leisure only and mostly international.
But you know that you are not Delta Medallion. You should be able to interpret this as a "flaw" in the Delta systems that misreports your SKYTEAM status as the equivalent Delta status.

And that's what's crucial. On a Delta operated flight (which is a SKYTEAM flight), then your status means something and you receive the perks.

On a Virgin operated flight (which is NOT SKYTEAM - nor yet a Flying Blue partner airline), then your status means nothing and you won't receive any perks that would be due to you on a Skyteam flight.

As your Virgin operated flight has a KL flight number, you will receive miles and XPs for this flight. However, you will not receive any frequent flyer benefits, as the relationship is not yet anything more than a simple codeshare.
Old Jul 6, 19, 3:12 am

Programs: FB Platinum / Privium+ / Hilton Gold
I think what's a bit strange here is

1) you would suspect KLM flights you book on there website are all within your flying blue status
2) VS joined the TATL JV
3) AF/KLM owns 31% of VS
4) VS joined the blue biz program

and yet no sign of VS joining Skyteam...
but most strange is KLM recently announced that you can earn miles & XP on some non-skyteam partners but no VS

So I think this should be clarified by KLM as a lot of routes I'm looking to book from AMS to the USA have a stopover in MAN or LHR with VS offered instead of CDG with AF or DTW/ATL with DL

my 2 cents
Old Jul 6, 19, 9:00 am

Programs: FB Plat
The new TATL JV is still waiting for the US government's approval, and Brexit might prevent AFKLM from still owning 31% of VS. VS is also changing, after having bought Flybe, so that makes enough reasons for all parties involved to take their time.

​​​​Plus, VS isn't really in a hurry to join an airline alliance.
Old Jul 6, 19, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
I think what's a bit strange here is
1) you would suspect KLM flights you book on there website are all within your flying blue status
Certainly not. When booking code-shares outside the alliance, it is safe to assume that you wonít get any status benefits. Few exceptions may apply like lounge access on departure from the AFKL hubs for a FB Elite+ member, but itís not even systematic.
Old Jul 8, 19, 3:50 am

Programs: FB Platinum / Privium+ / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz View Post
The new TATL JV is still waiting for the US government's approval, and Brexit might prevent AFKLM from still owning 31% of VS. VS is also changing, after having bought Flybe, so that makes enough reasons for all parties involved to take their time.

​​​​Plus, VS isn't really in a hurry to join an airline alliance.

makes it even more annoying that a lof of routes KLM shows on AMS - east coast routes are now including the codeshare with VS.
so for the same price I could fly Delta via DTW in stead of VS via MAN or LHR. which GIVES me my STE+ benefits.

certainly something I wouldn't expect booking via the "official" channel.
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
makes it even more annoying that a lof of routes KLM shows on AMS - east coast routes are now including the codeshare with VS.
so for the same price I could fly Delta via DTW in stead of VS via MAN or LHR. which GIVES me my STE+ benefits.

certainly something I wouldn't expect booking via the "official" channel.
Why would KLM go to the bother of putting their codes on VS flights, and then not offer them for sale on their own website?

The majority of KL's customers don't have status.

For those of us who have status and care about such things, then we generally know enough to look out for any potential pitfalls or "traps" surrounding codeshares.

(And, depending on the destination/codeshare partner, the codeshare flight may be the only way to get there "with" KLM!)

((PS: Say hi to Saul for me!!))
Goldorak and Thysk like this.
Old Jul 8, 19, 5:25 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
Try to check your reservation on the VS site. It should state "economy light" or "economy classic. Even though you booked light with KLM they may still have put you in classic with VS, which would give you a bag for the return flight.
Is this known behavior? It happened to me the other day, I wasn't sure if it was a fluke or intended.
Old Jul 9, 19, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
Is this known behavior? It happened to me the other day, I wasn't sure if it was a fluke or intended.
I've seen reports of it happening on various boards from the moment the codeshares were released. Just this past week those same people rescheduled their VS flight to the next day because they had been moved to an indirect flight (VS is doing Star Wars flights to MCO and bumped regular passengers from that flight). Rescheduling put them in economy light so that suggests it's a fluke.
Old Jul 10, 19, 9:28 am
Original Poster

So I made the flights and here is the outcome.
Again, this round trip was booked through KLM.

To Destination:
Only allowed to check in through Delta
1. Delta domestic - Silver medallion status, 2XP
2. Delta international - Silver medallion status, 8XP

Back Home:
Only allowed to check in through Virgin Atlantic, gave me two tickets
1. Virgin Atlantic international - No status, 0XP
2. Delta domestic - No status, 2XP

Apparently, your status is honored only if you check in with a Skyteam operator and fly with the operator.

Virgin Atlantic was not bad but I will probably avoid it for now.
Old Jul 10, 19, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently, your status is honored only if you check in with a Skyteam operator and fly with the operator.
This is not the correct way to think about it.

To receive the benefits of Skyteam status, you must be travelling on a Skyteam-coded flight (i.e. a flightnumber starting with DL-, KL-, AF-, AZ-, UX-, etc; NOT a flightnumber starting with VS or any other non-Skyteam member airline) AND that flight must also operated by a Skyteam-member airline (i.e. the flight is operated by Delta, Air France, KLM, Alitalia, or any other Skyteam member).

This is not the case when you are travelling on a Virgin Atlantic operated service - VS is not a member of any alliance. They therefore do not observe Skyteam status (or oneworld status or Star Alliance status, for that matter!!!)

The exception is if a particular Skyteam airline has a partnership with the particular non-Skyteam airline in question, and in that case, it only applies to members of that particular Skyteam airline's FFP. For example, Delta and Virgin Atlantic have a deep partnership that involves more than codesharing (Delta owns 49% of Virgin Atlantic shares), so the two airlines extend reciprocal frequent flyer benefits to members of each other's programmes. As such, Delta Skymiles members have their status perks observed by Virgin Atlantic. This is due to a bilateral agreement in place between the airlines, and has nothing whatsoever to do with Skyteam.

For now, AF and KL only have a codesharing partnership with Virgin Atlantic - therefore, a Flying Blue status member will not receive any status perks when travelling on a Virgin Atlantic operated, or Virgin Atlantic coded, flight. Flying Blue members will receive miles and XPs for KL or AF coded flights operated by VS, though.

But watch out! If you somehow ended up on a VS-coded flight operated by either AF or KL, you would receive no XPs or miles in Flying Blue.
Goldorak and glennhaak like this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 10, 19 at 10:16 am

Search this Thread