Baggage charge on KLM ticket flown with Etihad

Old Jun 16, 19, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Baggage charge on KLM ticket flown with Etihad

Recently booked on klm website ams-hkg, ktm-ams. The second part is partly operated by etihad. Turns out my ticket does not include baggage, even though I have Gold status.

I understand I may need to pay for baggage, but turns out itís going to cost me 500 eur one way on the etihad leg on a 700 eur ticket. Klm and Etihad both say they cannot help me and I can only pay at the airport and my status is not going to help. Has anyone encountered something similar or some advice on what to do?
Old Jun 16, 19, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Are you booked on KL flight numbers or EY ? If on EY, your FB status is indeed of 0 help and if you booked a EY fare that does not include bags, then you're screwed. But I am curious to know how many tons of luggage you are carrying to have to pay 500 E

Last edited by Goldorak; Jun 17, 19 at 12:44 pm
Old Jun 17, 19, 3:18 am
Original Poster

I booked through the KLM website. The flight numbers for the Kathmandu-Abu Dhabi-Paris-Ams part are AF 3807, AF 3801, and AF 1340 (but the first two state 'operated by etihad'). They seem to be Air France numbers, but I am still not getting the baggage allowance as KLM tells me it's not 'operated by skyteam'.

As for the €500 charge: I am just talking about 1 20KG item. This is the standard charge for Etihad (cannot post the url as I have less than 5 posts, but it's on their website). I've had this number confirmed by the etihad helpdesk (640 USD undiscounted for 20 KG, 1 item)
Old Jun 17, 19, 4:18 am

Programs: QF WP
https://www.etihad.com/en-au/before-...mation/excess/

i dont claim to know but will ask- surely what you need is the ďbooked hand baggage only fare and changed mindĒ rates? Which are somewhat more reasonable than the excess baggage rates

(although that said they are somewhat limited in geographical scope apparently?!)
Old Jun 17, 19, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Would be happy to pay those rates. However, I am flying Nepal to Amsterdam (Indian subcontinent to Europe), which is not in the list.

The reason it's not in the list is that Etihad does not sell tickets without check-in luggage for my flights, so it's a situation that normally cannot happen. It could be that my situation is so strange that they will not notice or just waive it as it's not supposed to happen, but if they don't do that I certainly have the risk to end up paying the full excess charge of 640 USD.
Old Jun 17, 19, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Would be happy to pay those rates, but I am flying Indian subcontinent to Europe which is not in the table. It's not in the table because Etihad typically does not sell tickets on that itinerary without luggage, so it's a situation that usually does not exist.

It may be so unusual that they don't even notice at the airport or just waive my fees, but it's a huge risk if they decide to charge 640 USD.
Old Jun 17, 19, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
(although that said they are somewhat limited in geographical scope apparently?!)
Indeed. EY does not sell hand baggage only fares on that route. Therefore, they default to the prices applicable on routes where baggage is allowed (which is inherited from the old IATA per kilo system and therefore rather expensive). Given that EY does not sell hand baggage only fares on that route, I would not be surprised if check-in agents at KTM register one bag free but, clearly, it would be risky for the OP to rely on that and I would not like to be in his shoes.
TO the OP: given that the relevant fare is an AF fare, have you tried calling AF (or trying online through the AF website rather than the KLM one)? It may make no difference but it is worth a try just in case.
Two other things worth trying (which may also not be fruitful but worth a try nonetheless):
1) pull your e-ticket via the Saudi AIrlines website and see what it says on there re baggage on the specific flight segments concerned.
2) pull your reservation on the etihad website and see what it says re baggage there.
Old Jun 17, 19, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks! I have an emergency backup which is a friend who is flying to Amsterdam on Flydubai/KLM 2 hours earlier. She might be able to check it in much cheaper (and she may have enough allowance for the both of us).

I will try the Air France Route, but their website states the the gold status is not valid for Etihad operated flights even if they have an AF flight number so will probably not have much luck there. I have contacted Etihad and they quote me the full number. Etihad website and Saudi website both show 0 pieces.
Old Jun 17, 19, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hiddeflyer View Post
I will try the Air France Route, but their website states the the gold status is not valid for Etihad operated flights even if they have an AF flight number so will probably not have much luck there.
You won't get a free bag but perhaps you might get a bag at more reasonable AF rates but, yes, I am not too optimistic. I do not think that you can buy a hand-baggage only fare on AF or KL if booking a return ticket to KTM. I have a feeling that this is an IT bug that allows this to happen with an open-jaw ticket where the outward leg does allow HBO, hence the mess you end up in even though probably neither KL nor AF genuinely intended you to be able to buy an HBO ticket on this route.

There is an argument that not drawing this to the attention of the consumer when the baggage charges are considerably higher than a normal consumer would expect is illegal under EU consumer legislation but you probably don't want to get into legal niceties at this point (or any later point for that matter) if you can avoid it and have another more or less satisfactory solution to your problem, if need be with your friend.
Old Jun 17, 19, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
If I do a dummy booking in july on CDG-KTM-CDG with the same AF code-share flights as OP, in Y the only fare proposed is a Flex fare and there is one 23 kg bag allowed as checked bag. Not sure it means anything for OP, but...

Old Jun 18, 19, 12:31 am
Original Poster

On the KLM site I got the light fare without choice for my ams-hig ktm-ams trip, but when I do ams-ktm-ams as a dummy booking I get the option between light/standard/flex. This way you can still end up without luggage allowance but that way it is a choice.

However, KLM finally fixed it for me. After going back and forth a couple of timing I finally got someone on the phone who was able to change my ticket to standard (instead of light) for free and it shows up correctly on etihad website now as well.

Thanks for all the help! Kind of curious now what would have happened in KTM but guess Iíll never find out.
irishguy28, Xandrios and Squerez like this.
Old Jun 18, 19, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Hiddeflyer View Post
On the KLM site I got the light fare without choice for my ams-hig ktm-ams trip, but when I do ams-ktm-ams as a dummy booking I get the option between light/standard/flex. This way you can still end up without luggage allowance but that way it is a choice.

However, KLM finally fixed it for me. After going back and forth a couple of timing I finally got someone on the phone who was able to change my ticket to standard (instead of light) for free and it shows up correctly on etihad website now as well.

Thanks for all the help! Kind of curious now what would have happened in KTM but guess Iíll never find out.
Excellent

Search this Thread