Search

Aspire Plus Lounge denied access

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum
Aspire Plus Lounge denied access

Hi all:

Travelled out of Bristol last Thursday and the place was a zoo. Tried to access the Aspire Plus lounge as usual but was denied access due to “overbooking.” Was really just looking for a place to sit and charge my phone / laptop.

Has anyone else experienced being turned away from third party lounges as Platinum? I have been denied entry due to overbooking when trying to access Aspire lounges with Priority Pass, but never when eligible for entry as part of airline FF privileges as in this instance.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue Gold. Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold
I had this at the same lounge (Aspire Plus in Bristol) last summer. Was told that the whole place had been booked out for the TUI Premium customers and waved away to the 'regular' Aspire lounge (with its more limited F&B offering). I did complain to KLM, but got nothing other than a 'sorry' and vague waffle about capacity control.

That was the first and only time that I've been refused access to any lounge when using FF privileges.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by SouthWesterner
vague waffle
I think you mean stroopwafel.
SouthWesterner likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Sounds like a typical problem with contract lounges in the UK, that sell off access to everyone.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:27 am

It does happen at the Aspire in Birmingham (BHX) on a regular basis, especially midweek just after 4PM (i.e. before the Amsterdam/Frankfurt/Munich/etc. flights). They would normally put a sign up saying that they are full and that PP members can head to the nearby lounge.

G
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:26 am

It happened to me twice in the past, once in CPT and once in TLV, for the latter they said "you can go in but there's no place to seat", I went in to get a bottle of juice and got out
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
It does happen at the Aspire in Birmingham (BHX) on a regular basis, especially midweek just after 4PM (i.e. before the Amsterdam/Frankfurt/Munich/etc. flights). They would normally put a sign up saying that they are full and that PP members can head to the nearby lounge.

G
I was once trying to get in using my PP there and was told to go to the South lounge instead. Since I couldn't be bothered to walk over there, I said I was now a Platinum member on a KL flight and they've accepted me in saying that this was overruling the rest.
(I have unlimited entries with PP so often just use that instead of using my elite status)
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:36 am

PP should (I'm not a member hence not hundred-per-cent sure) also give you access to the No1 Lounge, which is slightly better than the Aspire-dump. I normally go when flying SN and, whilst also very crowded at times (i.e. holiday season), I do enjoy the better food and the beer (or sort of ) on tap from the bar.

G
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
PP should (I'm not a member hence not hundred-per-cent sure) also give you access to the No1 Lounge, which is slightly better than the Aspire-dump. I normally go when flying SN and, whilst also very crowded at times (i.e. holiday season), I do enjoy the better food and the beer (or sort of ) on tap from the bar.

G
That's also my first choice but since they limit the number of items you can order, I often swing by the Aspire on the way to the No1 for a cheeky bacon roll...
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:37 am

Were you on KL1050? Several times I've been turned away from the plus lounge when on 1050 because Thomson/TUi block book the plus for their Dreamliner flights. They'll happily let you into the standard lounge, and last time I was there they told me I could have free prosecco as I was there on KL's account rather than PP. I didn't try to exercise the option, though. The standard lounge is also closer to the gate that KLM use.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum
No, 1054.

I did get a nonsensical response from FB however. To make amends for the inconvenience, they wish to look forward to serving my travel needs again:

Thank you for your recent communication. I have forwarded your claim to our Flying Blue department. They handle the claims about not getting access to the lounge.

To make amends for the inconvenience you have experienced, we are pleased to offer you the following:

We look forward to serving your travel needs again in the near future and to welcoming you aboard another of our flights.
UNQUOTE
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Victor88
To make amends for the inconvenience you have experienced, we are pleased to offer you the following:

We look forward to serving your travel needs again in the near future and to welcoming you aboard another of our flights.

Johan
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Looks like either a bullet point list missing, or they clearly intended to give you a whole lot of nothing
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:02 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Lol. Clearly they forgot to insert your compensation in that template. Thats a pity!
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Victor88
I just had the same experience in Aspire lounge in Schiphol airport Amsterdam and denied access although the lounge was not full !!
what a shame for a world elite MasterCard holder to face such experience in front of other who was not denied access !
this is unacceptable from MasterCard !!
Hi all:

Travelled out of Bristol last Thursday and the place was a zoo. Tried to access the Aspire Plus lounge as usual but was denied access due to “overbooking.” Was really just looking for a place to sit and charge my phone / laptop.

Has anyone else experienced being turned away from third party lounges as Platinum? I have been denied entry due to overbooking when trying to access Aspire lounges with Priority Pass, but never when eligible for entry as part of airline FF privileges as in this instance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.