Golf

Old Jun 13, 19, 11:32 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Netherlands
Programs: KL Platinum, LH Gold
Posts: 201
Golf

Hi all
Has everyone received an invitation to the KLM Open? I received an invitation to register for 50% off “as Gold” however I am Platinum. Have been for years. Admin apologized and resent the invitation and I was able to select two free tickets, however I have not been granted lounge access to their facilities at the Open. This is different from my last visit where I was granted access. Wondering how others have experienced this.
Victor88 is offline  
Old Jun 14, 19, 12:06 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: AMS
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by Victor88 View Post
Hi all
Has everyone received an invitation to the KLM Open? I received an invitation to register for 50% off “as Gold” however I am Platinum. Have been for years. Admin apologized and resent the invitation and I was able to select two free tickets, however I have not been granted lounge access to their facilities at the Open. This is different from my last visit where I was granted access. Wondering how others have experienced this.
This has to do with there being a rush on the Platinum tickets with lounge access, the first batch of people (a few weeks ago) got to reserve tickets with lounge access, after they sold out, they provided extra tickets but without lounge access.
glennhaak is offline  
Old Jun 14, 19, 3:49 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zanzibar
Programs: Flying Blue
Posts: 1,166
Originally Posted by Victor88 View Post
Hi all
Has everyone received an invitation to the KLM Open? I received an invitation to register for 50% off “as Gold” however I am Platinum. Have been for years. Admin apologized and resent the invitation and I was able to select two free tickets, however I have not been granted lounge access to their facilities at the Open. This is different from my last visit where I was granted access. Wondering how others have experienced this.
As plat I tried to order tickets a hour after the e-mail. Already sold out.
Meneer Guggenheimer is offline  
Old Jun 17, 19, 4:42 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Brussels
Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Plat
Posts: 246
If you ordered within 3 days after receiving the first announcement for plats, you were granted lounge access. After that, the booking site was down because all regular tickets for plats were sold out. After a week or so it came online again, with extra tickets without lounge access.

imo this is ridiculous, because
1. In all the past years you could access the lounge no matter where you've got or bought your ticket from: you could access the golf court with any ticket, then just walk to the flying blue lounge, show a valid gold or platinum card + id and walk in there +1.
2. Past years 'regular' tickets for plats have been available until a couple of weeks before the event and now all tickets (not only less popular days, all regular tickets) were gone 4 months in advance.

To me it sounds like they have strongly reduced the number of plats and gold they can accommodate.
arjen05 is offline  
Old Jun 18, 19, 6:01 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Netherlands
Programs: KL Platinum, LH Gold
Posts: 201
Yes, it certainly seems that way.
Victor88 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:57 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,580
Originally Posted by arjen05 View Post
ITo me it sounds like they have strongly reduced the number of plats and gold they can accommodate.
Of the 50,000 who attended, 12,000 were KLM invitees, the airline says.

The event cost €8m to organize, and KLM expects to more or less break even.

Johan
johan rebel is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 11:55 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zanzibar
Programs: Flying Blue
Posts: 1,166
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
Of the 50,000 who attended, 12,000 were KLM invitees, the airline says.

The event cost €8m to organize, and KLM expects to more or less break even.

Johan
Interesting note that this was the first year me and some other members in the family who normally go as an attendee as plats in various levels did not get any free tickets and free food and beverages as we where all to late when replied to the email. So in the end if 12k went there must have been a lot that paid.
Meneer Guggenheimer is offline  
Old Sep 16, 19, 2:17 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Brussels
Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Plat
Posts: 246
Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer View Post
Interesting note that this was the first year me and some other members in the family who normally go as an attendee as plats in various levels did not get any free tickets and free food and beverages as we where all to late when replied to the email. So in the end if 12k went there must have been a lot that paid.
My 8 tickets stayed unused, I only registered 5 days after the invite, being too late to get any lounge access from KLM. Tried to arrange it afterwards but didn't succeed, so I finally decided to stay at home.
arjen05 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:46 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: HAG
Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Posts: 2,172
I'm pretty sure a lot of people paid (also seen a lot of people buying walk-up tickets on Saturday) but also a large number of people got in for free in various ways. I've forgotten that I even got anything from KLM as a Gold, but there is an email, which I've apparently open and read before. 50% off, and no lounge due to "large number of registrations already received".
I got in free though on American Express tickets. American Express had their own lounge as well, but only one, KLM had 3 locations I think? Would have been nice, but I digress.

We'll see next year.
Fabo.sk is offline  
Old Sep 24, 19, 5:03 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: KLM Plat, BA Bronze
Posts: 376
When were the invite sent? do you know if they are limited to NL residents? I'd be interested in going next year, but have looked back through my mails and don't see anything.
highlander100 is offline  
Old Sep 24, 19, 9:43 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: HAG
Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Posts: 2,172
Originally Posted by highlander100 View Post
When were the invite sent? do you know if they are limited to NL residents? I'd be interested in going next year, but have looked back through my mails and don't see anything.
In August, and I suspect only for residents.
However, if you manage to remind me sometime next summer, I will hook you up with something.
Fabo.sk is offline  
Old Sep 25, 19, 10:39 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: AMS
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by highlander100 View Post
When were the invite sent? do you know if they are limited to NL residents? I'd be interested in going next year, but have looked back through my mails and don't see anything.
I received my invitation for 2 tickets on May 15th being KLM Platinum.
glennhaak is offline  
Old Sep 25, 19, 10:48 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Brussels
Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Plat
Posts: 246
Originally Posted by glennhaak View Post
I received my invitation for 2 tickets on May 15th being KLM Platinum.
Also received mine May 15th, announcing that the tickets would include lounge access during the event. Tried to register on May 19th and all tickets were gone. Only tickets without lounge access were left 4 days after the first invite, still 4 full months before the event.
glennhaak likes this.
arjen05 is offline  
Old Sep 25, 19, 11:54 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: AMS
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by arjen05 View Post
Also received mine May 15th, announcing that the tickets would include lounge access during the event. Tried to register on May 19th and all tickets were gone. Only tickets without lounge access were left 4 days after the first invite, still 4 full months before the event.
Yes I've seen your complaints on IF, was a shame...
glennhaak is offline  
Old Sep 26, 19, 7:38 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Brussels
Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Plat
Posts: 246
Originally Posted by glennhaak View Post
Yes I've seen your complaints on IF, was a shame...
I did, however, get an email from KLM Events afterwards that they noticed that I've ordered 6 tickets and didn't use any of them, if I would be able to explain them why. Didn't get such a message any of the previous years.
arjen05 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread