Wiki Posts
Search

Check in and Club at Kilimanjaro (JRO)

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Check in and Club at Kilimanjaro (JRO)

Mrs. FTF and I are flying back from JRO on the KLM 787-10 WBC in October and starting to think about our departure day. We'll be back at JRO pretty early in the day since that's the safari camp/flight schedule, and we're wondering how much time we'll have to kill in/at/around JRO before we can check in and head to the lounge for our 9 PM/2100 departure.

Does someone know what time you can check in at JRO before the flight? (So often I see 3 hours but I don't know if that's true here.)

Also, what experience have people had with the lounge? If I understand correctly from a review of the lounge on the net, it sounds like it is after passport control but before security. Don't know what security is like there - is it necessary to leave the lounge long before the flight so as not to be worried about getting through security in time?

Many thanks for any help you can provide! ^

FTF
Old May 26, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue
The lounge at JRO is ok for African standards but not a place you want to spend hours. I would suggest you arrive at JRO 2,5 hours before departure. After check in the coffee place in the terminal (partly) outside is way nicer to hang out for your departure to AMS.

JRO is an airport in the middle of nowhere. If you have to spend more time on JRO due to Safari scheduling I would spend most of the time at the KIA airport hotel. It has a decent restaurant and a nice bar.

I often check in early, go to KIA hotel and go back to JRO when I hear KLM land.

if you a really early would book a day room or do an day excursion from JRO. If you want I could suggest some things to do.

the hotel is less then 5 min away from the Airport.

enjoy your time in Tanzania
Old May 27, 2019, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the help, Meneer! Our expedition planners have us coming in for a late lunch at the Airport Planet Lodge - same idea, bar and a view, and we were wondering when we should make our way over to JRO. Sounds like we should relax and enjoy time over there. Much appreciated and your plan sounds good.

FTF
Old May 30, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Spend as much time as possible at the lodge as possible. There is a elite / wbc check-in In Kilimanjaro. Customs and security is directly after check-in and is actually pretty efficient. If not going to the lounge I would go through security as late as possible and wait in the coffee lounge area. You can keep an eye on the line for security. When KLM arrives you will hear that...

Safari Njema!
glennhaak likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for that added info, Meneer. We will make it a point to enjoy the lodge (with, I understand, a great mountain view).

Never having been there before. we'll probably be too anxious to just wait out in the coffee lounge - likely go to the lounge instead. Just for clarification, is it between customs and security, or after security?

Thanks again,

FTF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.