FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   KLM 787 Business Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/1971179-klm-787-business-class.html)

Craig Hall May 24, 2019 1:32 pm

KLM 787 Business Class

Thinking about flying from AMS-JFK on a KLM 787 in August. I can't find the length of the bed anywhere. Does anyone know how long the seat is when flat?

I flew Qatar Airways business class on a 787 - and it looks similar. I'm wondering if it IS similar?

Thank you.

BobTL May 24, 2019 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Craig Hall (Post 31135564)
Thinking about flying from AMS-JFK on a KLM 787 in August. I can't find the length of the bed anywhere. Does anyone know how long the seat is when flat?

I flew Qatar Airways business class on a 787 - and it looks similar. I'm wondering if it IS similar?

Thank you.

without being able to link to a source I’m pretty sure I read it is 203cm

mot29 May 26, 2019 6:44 am

Can’t comment on length, but I’m 190.5 cm tall with big feet so no lie-flats really work for me.
But having flown 4 legs on a KL 787 in business, I find them to be among the least comfortable seats. Not well padded and the seat control pad, for me at least, is in a terrible place — my arm rests right on it and I end up adjusting the seat when I move my arm.
For me a center seat on the 2-2-2 777s or one of the single seats on the 747 are far more comfortable.

Boturham Jun 29, 2019 9:29 pm

Another question about the 787 seats: is there any difference in which seat is best to sleep? I'm currently in 1A to be as far away from the engine as possible, but I read that the proximity to the galley might be disturbing. Also, is there any length/footrest difference between the seats?

747jetter Jun 29, 2019 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Boturham (Post 31253683)
Another question about the 787 seats: is there any difference in which seat is best to sleep? I'm currently in 1A to be as far away from the engine as possible, but I read that the proximity to the galley might be disturbing. Also, is there any length/footrest difference between the seats?

Row 1 really can get some noise from galley and all J class passengers will be going to lavatories. I would personally go for row 3 as I also hate the engine sound when sleeping and not having Bose on.

caliform Jul 1, 2019 11:01 am

Row 3 is my choice too but honestly, it barely makes a difference. Cabins are loud, engines are loud.

johan rebel Jul 1, 2019 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by caliform (Post 31258523)
Cabins are loud, engines are loud.

I suspect you don't remember the days of the 707, 727, DC-8, etc., not to mention (turbo) prop aircraft like the Constellation, Viscount, IL-18 and Electra. For very good reason, the first class cabin in the latter two was usually located at the very back of the aircraft.

Johan

caliform Jul 1, 2019 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 31259266)
I suspect you don't remember the days of the 707, 727, DC-8, etc., not to mention (turbo) prop aircraft like the Constellation, Viscount, IL-18 and Electra. For very good reason, the first class cabin in the latter two was usually located at the very back of the aircraft.

Johan

Indeed. I wasn’t born yet!

Sjondorn Jul 3, 2019 2:17 pm

I went with row 3 on my upcoming flights with 787.

Boturham Jul 3, 2019 5:10 pm

I went with row 8 this time. I prefer the privacy of sitting all the way back.

juniordk2000 Jul 7, 2019 10:22 am

I had the misfortune of flying KLM 787 back from Rio once - never again. The seat is extremely narrow when in flat bed mode. Impossible to sleep on the flat bed, so I ended up sleeping sitting up. Honestly it felt like trying to sleep in a coffin.

mikem004 Jul 7, 2019 2:23 pm

I have had a couple of flights in KLM business class on a 787.
Two different planes, the seat was broken on both legs.
The seat is very cheaply constructed, with plastic floor panels falling off and the IFE release button not working.

caliform Jul 7, 2019 4:03 pm

The seat is a total bummer. Apart from being very narrow and constricting, it seems there's always issues. That's without even mentioning the terrible design of putting seat controls in an ARMREST

johan rebel Jul 8, 2019 12:50 am

Originally Posted by caliform (Post 31279311)
the terrible design of putting seat controls in an ARMREST

Silly errors like that never cease to amaze me.

How difficult can it be to get the basics right? Surely they employ experienced designers and also solicit input and feedback from cabin crew and pax (I know for a fact that KL used to do this, as they once invited me to a seat testing event. Unfortunately I was unable to attend).

Originally Posted by mikem004 (Post 31278984)
The seat is very cheaply constructed

Just as amazing.

It is my understanding that these seats do not come cheap. On the contrary, they apparently cost a small fortune. One would expect a durable, high quality product for that money.

Johan

kthpence Jan 5, 2020 7:39 pm

Was about to book a AMS-SFO flight on the 787 in J for me and my partner but I'm beginning to rethink it. It's a daytime flight so sleeping isn't a huge deal for us, we are both shorter than 180cm, but are there any seats that are good for couples? Reconsidering booking w/ AF J (even though it's 10k more points), or even DL.