FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   how much to select economy seats? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/1971155-how-much-select-economy-seats.html)

altabello May 24, 2019 9:51 am

how much to select economy seats?

I'm looking at booking flights SLC-ZRH and return. Google flights shows cheaper options when booked through KLM website, rather than on Delta (even though 3 of 4 flights would most likely be on Delta Metal). I can't figure out how much KLM would charge on top of the economy fare to select "regular" seats, esp. on the TATL legs. If booked through KLM, could I still go to my Skymiles account and select seats for the DL metal flights? Sorry if this is covered somewhere else, I could only find very old threats on this subject. If booked through KLM, could I still get Skymiles? Is it fair to assume that KLM fare + seat assignment = Delta fare? Any other downsides to booking with KLM, like less options if delayed/cancelled/rerouted? TIA

BobTL May 24, 2019 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by altabello (Post 31134842)
I'm looking at booking flights SLC-ZRH and return. Google flights shows cheaper options when booked through KLM website, rather than on Delta (even though 3 of 4 flights would most likely be on Delta Metal). I can't figure out how much KLM would charge on top of the economy fare to select "regular" seats, esp. on the TATL legs. If booked through KLM, could I still go to my Skymiles account and select seats for the DL metal flights? Sorry if this is covered somewhere else, I could only find very old threats on this subject. If booked through KLM, could I still get Skymiles? Is it fair to assume that KLM fare + seat assignment = Delta fare? Any other downsides to booking with KLM, like less options if delayed/cancelled/rerouted? TIA

The amount of paying extra for a seat depends on the route but also on your FF status, just like on DL. If I’m not mistaken DL elites get discount or a free choice for selecting a seat. Just make a dummy booking and enter your DL skymiles.
Another tip: when you make a dummy booking on the KLM app it gives you a free 24 hour “time to think” option. Then you also can see what the extra price is.
KL is very good in case there are IRROPS, they use Delta as alternative in case they can’t give you a good AF/KL alternative which is sometimes the case in North America. Actually I don’t think DL doesn’t give a benefit over KL in case of IRROPS, so close the cooperation is. It’s flawless.

atflyer May 25, 2019 12:17 am

AFAIK regular seats can still be booked for free (but then I am Gold since ages so I haven't experience in booking as non-status guest). Comfort and in front seats are extra.

Goldorak May 25, 2019 2:06 am

Originally Posted by atflyer (Post 31136843)
AFAIK regular seats can still be booked for free

Not anymore, for a while.

Maestro Ramen May 26, 2019 11:04 am

Booking your flights with kl gives you the option between "light" and "classic" fares.

Light is HBO and pay extra for seat reservation. Is that what you were going for?

Classic has luggage and has seat included but not so-called "comfort" seats. Is that what you were eyeing?

Edit: I was wrong - Seat is indeed not (no longer?) included with classic fees unless you have status.

Goldorak May 26, 2019 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen (Post 31140255)
Classic has luggage and has seat included but not so-called "comfort" seats. Is that what you were eyeing?

Advance seat selection is not free even with Classic fare, unless you have a ST status.

KLflyerRalph May 26, 2019 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 31140332)
Advance seat selection is not free even with Classic fare, unless you have a ST status.

It is on North-American flights.

Goldorak May 26, 2019 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph (Post 31140501)
It is on North-American flights.

Do you mean advanced seat selection comes at a fee only on N.A. flights ? If this is what you mean, I can't confirm that on KL website. From what I can see, all advance seat selection comes at a fee if you have no status. And if I am wrong, OP said he wants to fly from SLC, so this is N.A.

johan rebel May 26, 2019 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 31140658)
all advance seat selection comes at a fee if you have no status.

When flying to the US, Canada and Mexico, you can pick a seat for free if you have a Standard or Flex ticket.

Johan

KLflyerRalph Sep 24, 2019 7:54 am

Is the free standard seat selection also extended to companions on the same PNR (as DL Silver)?