Genever from delft houses

Old May 9, 19, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Genever from delft houses

I'm not a gin afficinado but I did enjoy the genever that came in my delft house. I started looking into it and have now learned the differences between genever and gin.

My question is, can someone recommend a genever I can pick up that would be similar to the one KLM offers? I'll be transiting AMS and CDG this summer if that helps broaden my selection
Old May 9, 19, 12:00 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
The genever is made by Bols. They have different kinds, I don't know which one it is specifically.
Old May 9, 19, 12:30 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

I believe it would just be the original one.

I shall ask coming weekend when I have to take a visiting friend when we visit the bols experience tour in Amsterdam.

I've never drank any of them from the houses - although for some of my older ones, it seems that the contents have evaporated away...though not all...so I guess it could be related to how good the seal.

Cheers!
Old May 9, 19, 1:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
It's probably not 'the original one' as that looks a bit too fancy. I'm guessing it's just normal 'zeer oude genever' from Bols, the same one they serve in the lounge and on board in WBC. In my opinion Zuidam or Rutte is better tasting, but that's personal of course. My advice is to try them all
Old May 10, 19, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nldogbert View Post
although for some of my older ones, it seems that the contents have evaporated away...though not all...so I guess it could be related to how good the seal.
A bunch of my houses are of the Rynbende variety and over 50 years old, some probably over 60. With one exception, they all sound as if the jenever contents are still there. Not just a drop or two, but the full 35 ml.

Johan
af fp likes this.
Old May 11, 19, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Thank you everyone who replied! I'll keep an eye out for some Bols (or maybe the Zuidam or Rutte) on my trip.
Old May 12, 19, 3:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
A bunch of my houses are of the Rynbende variety and over 50 years old, some probably over 60. With one exception, they all sound as if the jenever contents are still there. Not just a drop or two, but the full 35 ml.

Johan
Yeah, I'd be rather surprised if old houses manage to lose much of their contents. They're sealed, so the alcohol doesn't just disappear into the ether.
Old May 13, 19, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform View Post
Yeah, I'd be rather surprised if old houses manage to lose much of their contents. They're sealed, so the alcohol doesn't just disappear into the ether.
Yeah, the Rynbende ones are sealed with a cork stopper and old-fashioned red sealing wax, which does the job really well. That doesn't hold true for newer Bols houses. Checking a small random sample, I found several with intact seals that were (almost) empty.

Johan
Old May 14, 19, 5:15 am

Yes I was also surprised as I was doing a clean up a couple of months ago and noticed that some of the 'sealed' houses had no sound from them as I shook them.. so therefore.. the contents are gone...unless they were making some of these empty sealed houses for the Arabic markets [but I know these are completely without the seal].

Cheers!
Old May 14, 19, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert View Post
Hi,

I believe it would just be the original one.

I shall ask coming weekend when I have to take a visiting friend when we visit the bols experience tour in Amsterdam.

I've never drank any of them from the houses - although for some of my older ones, it seems that the contents have evaporated away...though not all...so I guess it could be related to how good the seal.

Cheers!
As promised I did for the first time visit the House of Bols experience over the weekend - and I was surprised that it is quite interesting - and especially for those crazy KLM house fanatics - you'll wet your pants
As for what's inside the KLM houses - as per the information on the exhibit - it is filled with 'Young Jenever'

Cheers!
Carel1 and Giantlonglegs like this.
Old May 28, 19, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta DM and 1 MM, HHonors Diamond (thru AMEX), Marriott Gold
are these things packable or too fragile? We will get them, I think, flying AMS-SFO but then have to transfer to a Delta flight to SLC....
Old May 28, 19, 1:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I always throw them in my suitcase. Perhaps wrap them in a t-shirt or a sweater. Some are more fragile than others (bits that stick out, etc.) but never had one break.
Old May 28, 19, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some are more fragile than others (bits that stick out, etc.) but never had one break.
They are very sturdy.

I've dropped or knocked down several over the years, mostly onto a hardwood floor, without any damage whatsoever.

Johan
caliform and Maestro Ramen like this.

Search this Thread