Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

KL Throws balls at DL on EU 261/2004 Despite KL Handling Compensations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: KL Plat, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold – ex-UA 1k, ex-AA Plat, ex-QF Gold, ex IHG P

Hi FT Community,

I recently was ticketed on a DL flight from AMS to ATL (on DL metal), that was cancelled for operational reasons.

Interestingly, it is KL that emailed me then (despite having no contact with KL during the ticket purchase process, all done on delta.com). KL notifies me that the flight is cancelled and rebooking options will soon follow (they did with another email from KL). There is also a section on that email with a link to a PDF booklet about compensation (and the EU261). Long story short, I had to stay an extra night in AMS, incurred expenses, and could (maybe) claim the

This PDF booklet is here: https://www.klm.com/travel/au_en/ima...578-744708.pdf

It states on Page 2:
"THE RIGHTS REFERRED TO IN THIS BROCHURE APPLY IN THE FOLLOWING CIRCUMSTANCES:
• Your operating carrier is:
- Air France or KLM, or
- either CityJet or HOP! or JOON, or
- Delta Air Lines and Kenya Airways (when departing from an airport in the EU);"

Upon returning from my trip, I contact KL to lodge a compensation claim for the EU261 and the other expenses. KL throws the ball at DL, claiming that because I reside in APAC, DL is responsible for the claim. When contacting DL, they throw the ball at KL, claiming that I am not a US resident.

Why would you advise I do to have my claim reviewed?
Old May 3, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: FB Plat
Answer to each with a copy of the other party's mail saying that "we are not responsible for this, ask XX", and see what happens.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:57 am

The leaflet just outlines EU261, it contains info on Delta and KQ but just as applicable to any other airline, it does not mean KL will pay the compensation.
The compensation is due on the operating carrier, I would push on DL here...
glennhaak likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: KLM Plat, BA Bronze
It will be DL that would be responsible as they were the ticketer and carrier. should be a simple case unless it was weather/strike related.

this thread here as a brilliant sumation of what your rights are
The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old May 3, 2019, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EC 261/2004 places the responsibility for processing claims on the operating carrier. That is DL. It is not KL.

However, DL does use KL to process certain payments and that is up to DL. But, it does not affect who is responsible.

My experience with DL is exactly the opposite. Claim submitted for delay (EUR 600 and a bit of duty of care expenses). DL called within 2 business days to verify payment information and sent a check within a few days after.

I would suggest starting all over again and making the claim to DL. No mention of KL at all. APAC is a big place, so worth specifying your exact country, address, and preferred currency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.