Check-through baggage to Qantas flight at Jakarta CGK

Old Apr 3, 19, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platiinum (LTS), DL Skymiles
Check-through baggage to Qantas flight at Jakarta CGK

Hi all,

I am arriving into Jakarta CGK Terminal 3 with KLM and have a 2.5 hour transfer to a Qantas flight departing from CGK Terminal 3. These are on separate PNRs.
Obviously KLM is not OW so OW checked-baggage policies don't apply, however with the KLM/Qantas partnership it mentions same ticket check-through baggage is possible.

As I have separate PNRs, does anyone have experience with KLM to know if they can check-through my bags to Australia?

Worse case, if I need to collect my bags at CGK can I stay air-side and recheck them though to QF? Any advice regarding air-side transit options in CGK T3?
Old Apr 4, 19, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
It is very very unlikely that your bags will be checked-through in your situation.
Old Apr 4, 19, 12:40 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
A few things:

1) Do you have eligibility to enter Indonesia on your passport? If not KL probably wonít let you on the plane at AMS.

2) If you need to collect bags, how do you stay airside? You have to pass immigration and get landside to get your bags.

3) you have an hour to get out of immigration and collect bags to make the cutoff for QF assuming your flight lands on time. If you miss the flight youíre in strife as your return is cancelled.

Very risky itinerary

Old Apr 4, 19, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
however with the KLM/Qantas partnership it mentions same ticket check-through baggage is possible.
...as is the case with all interlined tickets.

As I have separate PNRs, does anyone have experience with KLM to know if they can check-through my bags to Australia?
No, KLM will not check bags across separate PNRs (even though it is technically possible for them to do so).

If they do, and the bag goes astray or missing on this irregular "changeover", they put themselves on the hook for sorting out your missing baggage.

Worse case, if I need to collect my bags at CGK can I stay air-side and recheck them though to QF? Any advice regarding air-side transit options in CGK T3?
I know of no airport where you can collect your bags "air-side". Wouldn't you have to go landside, clearing immigration on the way to baggage reclaim, and then clearing customs, before racing to check-in before closure of your Qantas flight?
Old Apr 4, 19, 9:33 am

Hi all,

I am arriving into Jakarta CGK Terminal 3 with KLM and have a 2.5 hour transfer to a Qantas flight departing from CGK Terminal 3. These are on separate PNRs.
Obviously KLM is not OW so OW checked-baggage policies don't apply, however with the KLM/Qantas partnership it mentions same ticket check-through baggage is possible.

You can not! you have to go through immigrations and check in again. If you are EU citizen most likely you are visa exempt. Do note, waiting times in Jakarta at Immigration could be long. And checkin closes sharp.

Also KLM doesnt fly direct to JAK but first to KUL, if there is a delay at AMS, often there is, you will face a delay arrival in JAK too.

It was not a best idea to book seperately, unless via Singapore.

Please seek advice from Quantas
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 19, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller View Post
A few things:

1) Do you have eligibility to enter Indonesia on your passport? If not KL probably won’t let you on the plane at AMS.

2) If you need to collect bags, how do you stay airside? You have to pass immigration and get landside to get your bags.

3) you have an hour to get out of immigration and collect bags to make the cutoff for QF assuming your flight lands on time. If you miss the flight you’re in strife as your return is cancelled.

Very risky itinerary

Hi,
Yes I do have visa-exempt entry into Indonesia as I am Australian passport.
Sounds as though KLM won't check bags through to QF, so I will have to clear immigration, collect bag and make my way to QF checkin.

At least I am travelling Business class on both flights so my bag should be one of the first off the KLM flight (fingers crossed)?

With QF I can checkin up to 60 mins before departure so hopefully will have enough time to transit

Last edited by Gary; Apr 4, 19 at 9:49 pm
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:11 am
MRC

Programs: Flying Blue PE, Garuda FF Gold, Shangr-La Gold, KrisFlyer SQ
If you fly business you have sky priority and you can use the sky priority fast lane at immigration in Jakarta. Keep your onward BP or flight reservation ready.
Old Apr 8, 19, 4:01 am

R_za is correct - Immgration clearance times in Jakarta (especially for foreigners) can be very long- over an hour (or More) depending on what time your flight lands & how many others are coming in at the same time & how many immigration officers are on at that time. You could also get really lucky and be through in five minutes - no way to know. If your flights are during Ramadan which is May//June this year I would not risk it as there can be less people working as people take leave.
Also know that @ T3 depending on which gate your plane comes in on it can be a 10 to 15 minute walk before you even get to immigration. Baggage services can also be slow in Jakarta - no rhyme or reason to which airline or which day or how long it will take at any given time.
I am based in Jakarta, feel free to send me a message if you have any specific questions
Old Apr 8, 19, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by MRC View Post
If you fly business you have sky priority and you can use the sky priority fast lane at immigration in Jakarta. Keep your onward BP or flight reservation ready.
Are there priority lanes for immigration entering Jakarta (which could be used on KLM tkt) or only upon departure?
I only ask because for departure he will be on a QF Business ticket & last time I flew out QF business there was no priority lane - I was told it was only for Garuda/sky team passengers
Old Apr 9, 19, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Business cal

Originally Posted by Jacksta View Post
R_za is correct - Immgration clearance times in Jakarta (especially for foreigners) can be very long- over an hour (or More) depending on what time your flight lands & how many others are coming in at the same time & how many immigration officers are on at that time. You could also get really lucky and be through in five minutes - no way to know. If your flights are during Ramadan which is May//June this year I would not risk it as there can be less people working as people take leave.
Also know that @ T3 depending on which gate your plane comes in on it can be a 10 to 15 minute walk before you even get to immigration. Baggage services can also be slow in Jakarta - no rhyme or reason to which airline or which day or how long it will take at any given time.
I am based in Jakarta, feel free to send me a message if you have any specific questions
I will be flying into Jakarta with KLM business class, so am not sure if there is priority immigration for Biz pax coming off KLM flights?
Old Apr 9, 19, 10:03 am
MRC

Garuda is member of skyteam, so sky priority is in place at Terminal 3 of Soekarno Hatta airport. You can arriving with KLM business, or with any sky team member and with skyteam priority status, use the skyteam priority lane at arrival. Same goes for departures, however, my experience is that at departures the sky priority lane is not always manned, so you still have to get in line at the regular lanes for foreigners.
Old Apr 12, 19, 1:24 am

Sorry for the delayed reply - I am not sure about priority lanes as I have to use a different lane anyway due to the visa I use - but from what MRC is saying, sounds like there might be
Gary likes this.
Old Apr 12, 19, 3:26 am
MRC

If you have KITAS visa AND sky priority you can also go to the sky priority lane according to the immigration officers at arrivals. I havenít try it yet, so can not verify that information.
Gary likes this.

Search this Thread